PDA

View Full Version : CF Blade Recommendations

markleyland
05-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I have always bought Radix blades for my heli as I realy like the way they fly, but this can become expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on cheap but good quality carbon blades? I know they are out there but what are they?

Cheers :thumbup:

pwoodyp
05-15-2010, 02:00 PM

Mr.Andersen
05-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Have good experience with Edge and Rotortech blades.

Michaelinpr
05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
+1 for Sonix. Here is the link. Hard to find otherwise as the dont tell you they are Sonix Blades.
http://www.helidirect.com/high-quality-325mm-symetrical-carbon-fiber-main-blade-trex-450sev2prosport-p-576.hdx
For better visability try painting the tips.

pwoodyp
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Mr.Andersen
05-15-2010, 03:02 PM
How do you guys see the rotordisc with black blades?
To say it easy a 450 heli is small enough even with visible blades, why go stelth?

Michaelinpr
05-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I dont have a problem seeing the black blades but to see them better just spray paint the tips. I dont paint any more of the blades because I have found in the past that some of my paint jobs actually added drag to the blades. I was using 10% more mah's.

Your right Pwoodyp. I wont give up the link to our secret stash of blades any more.

markleyland
05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Now don't be giving away our secrets, they will be none left when we need em :banana

Cheers guys I knew I had read a post on these a while back just couldn't remeber what they were called. Don't worry though Woody your secret's safe with me buddy and thanks for resurrecting that great post by Snjbird :thumbup:

markleyland
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
How do you guys see the rotordisc with black blades?
To say it easy a 450 heli is small enough even with visible blades, why go stelth?

I don't usually look at the disk for orientation so black blades wouldn't bother me much and to be honest my heli is practically black any way. I will probably buy some decals for the blades though just to make them look cooler.

dk31
05-16-2010, 01:17 AM
I have the sonix blades too, and i use white electric tape to improve visibility (two stripes in each blade tip). Couldn't tell though if this alters performance

Mr.Andersen
05-16-2010, 03:44 AM
I wish you could have been at my feald yesterday.
It was a dark grey sky in the afternoon with sprinkles of rain.
I have a bright yellow canopy but in the air everything whent black.
Black blades would make the bird even more invisible.
One pilot in my club paint hes blades orange on the underside to se the difference on up and down and its an experienced pilot.
Fore me i take every clue i can get to find the orientation of the bird.

Off course on bright sunny days thats not that important but we are not that spoiled everyday here up north.

markleyland
05-16-2010, 04:13 AM
I wish you could have been at my feald yesterday.
It was a dark grey sky in the afternoon with sprinkles of rain.
I have a bright yellow canopy but in the air everything whent black.
Black blades would make the bird even more invisible.
One pilot in my club paint hes blades orange on the underside to se the difference on up and down and its an experienced pilot.
Fore me i take every clue i can get to find the orientation of the bird.

Off course on bright sunny days thats not that important but we are not that spoiled everyday here up north.

I totally agree, the UK isn't the sunniest place on the planet either. When it goes cloudy and grey I just fly closer to me or go home as it's probably about to rain :)

markleyland
05-16-2010, 04:15 AM
I have the sonix blades too, and i use white electric tape to improve visibility (two stripes in each blade tip). Couldn't tell though if this alters performance

Did you balance them with the tape on?

dk31
05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Did you balance them with the tape on?

Yep, there's no other way.
Initially i had them balanced w/o the white tape; measured carefully the tape length and the distance between 'em but in the end they were out of balance. It's better to apply the tape first in eaqual spaces so that it looks nice, and then balance them.

pwoodyp
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM

markleyland
05-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Yea I'm definitely going to give them a try as I need an alternative from the expensive ones while i'm trying new stuff out. Looks like they can take a pounding from what i've read and the pic of your anti safety nazi blade :)

punkie
05-17-2010, 07:31 AM
they say that the sonix blades are re badged hyperion, the tarot cf 325mm are the same blade, i was using the sonix, love em, but the tarot are the exact same blade. there is a hk website that sells these blades for less than $11 US shipped...

hard to beat for great blades.