PDA

View Full Version : Quark, Switch Came Loose ...

RChristopher
05-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok, this seems stupid. Just mounted the Quark on my TRex 500ESP. When I first started trying to press the button to program it, the damn button comes loose. Now there is nothing but a nice little hole with a blue light shining through, and no way to program.

I have a DX7 TX.

Can this unit still be programmed using the 760 method? Is it safe? If OK, can someone describe the proper radio setup.

I just put a Quark on my 450 and all went well. This sucks!!

Thanks

Bob C.

Andyzboy
05-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I know in the finless vids for it he says you can program it just like on the 760. I forget how, but I'm sure you can find it. Maybe after a crash or something send it in and get it fixed, that sucks

DominicD
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Without the button you cannot get it into setup mode, you should send it back for repair.

Andyzboy
05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Really? I know that to get into the servo selection mode the manual says to hold down the button while powering up, but in the finless vid he shows that you can do it by holding full left and switching the gain switch while powering up, even though they talk nothing about that. Maybe thats the only programming option you can get without the button, not sure

DominicD
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the DS760 ?

RChristopher
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Looking at Finless video on Quark he does indicate you can enter setup by holding left rudder and flipping gain switch when powering on heli.

Hmmm...

ourbail
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
i tried a few times with the Quark and could not get it to program by flipping the toggle ,i had to use the button on the gyro.

RChristopher
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I am not having any luck, wondering if the missing button may be a reason.

This is rediculous!!

ourbail
05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
well i would ship it back for repair.....

RChristopher
05-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Yup just left a note on the Spartan tech line.

Not liking this at all!

houde
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
I have no problem entering setup mode in my quark using the gyro switch. You have to toggle it as you turn the heli on.

RChristopher
05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Yup, got into program mode using the radio. Key ... when assigning the gyro to gear or Aux2, dumb me, I thought if you assigned it to Gear the TX Gear Input Setup should say Gyro. Nope!!!!! Gear. Otherwise the channel does not reflect switching rate/HH. Duh... I usually use Aux2

Angelos
05-21-2010, 04:47 AM
You can program using the method described here: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/faq/faq.php?topic=101 However, I am concerned that the loose metal bits will rattle inside the gyro and possibly cause a short which will result to loss of tail control. As a minimum these need to get removed. Preferably get the switch fixed properly.

-Angelos

RChristopher
05-21-2010, 08:15 PM
OK, yea ... now I have to pay the expense and time to return this thing to the UK, and wait for repair and subsequent return. Not quite the great product and deal it was supposed to be. So ... between 2 units, quality hitting 50%, shipping expense, etc. Not rating too high in my book.

I will NOT be using the button to program this thing in the future, when ever I get it back.

Bob C.

adsmalan
05-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Did you purchase the gyro new in the states? If so why not contact the vendor for a replacement? That would be a quicker turnaround unless of course you got it from overseas.

RChristopher
05-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, bought it from Redi Heli, and per their warranty statement ... Defects found after the product has been installed or has been in use are covered under the manufacturer's warranty, and need to be claimed directly with the manufacturer or distributor. These items will be repaired or replaced at the manufacturer/distributor discretion.

The more I deal with this the more PI$$ED I get.

adsmalan
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I would be unhappy with that warranty.:( Maybe you would have better luck with the distributor as at least you would be dealing with someone stateside. Find out who they are and give them a call first I am sure they will be glad to help.

RChristopher
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
The object in question ...

It appears this switch has so little contact surface with the PC board, and depending on how well it is soldered, poking something into the hole to actuate, per the Finless video, can be detrimental to it's health.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/n50482/Helis/Switch.jpg

RChristopher
05-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Just a bit of update ...

With the removal of the errant switch bits, I have concluded the typical install and setup on my 500ESP. Initial tests are awesome. Replaced my original 3400G servo with an S9257 and voltage regulator. Since I am using Chinese weights on my tailblade grips the gain is rather low, but appears very effective. Further tests will follow.

Bob C.

flerpie
05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Cold solder.
If you're not comfortable soldering the switch back onto
the circuit board then I'd take it to anyplace that fixes electronics
and have them do it.

We've already seen that a manufacturer's warranty really
isn't useful in this situation unless you don't mind waiting
awhile and still have your purchase receipt.

RChristopher
05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, that switch is every bit as big as the letter w, so I won't be trying to solder those pads.

But ... more testing today, and yup... the 500 really likes the new gear. Put her through numerous flips, rolls, slides, etc. and everything seems to be doing great.

Cheers

Bob C.

ov10mech
06-03-2010, 12:51 AM
The exact same thing happened to me this evening. I pushed the set button in with a paper clip and felt it give way. I removed the 4 screws holding the case together and found the set button assembly piece floating around in there. I am pretty good with solder but this is way too small for me to deal with. This seems to be a very fragile piece so please be careful. I didn't feel I used too much pressure and had set this gyro up before. I have contacted Spartan RC about the problem.

Ok, this seems stupid. Just mounted the Quark on my TRex 500ESP. When I first started trying to press the button to program it, the damn button comes loose. Now there is nothing but a nice little hole with a blue light shining through, and no way to program.

I have a DX7 TX.

Can this unit still be programmed using the 760 method? Is it safe? If OK, can someone describe the proper radio setup.

I just put a Quark on my 450 and all went well. This sucks!!

Thanks

Bob C.

RChristopher
06-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I didn't feel I used too much pressure and had set this gyro up before. I have contacted Spartan RC about the problem.

Yup, same here. Seems like Spartan may have a batch with cold solder joints on the switch.

I have flown my 500 more and all is going well, sans the switch.

Bob C.

Soooooo ... for any one with new Quarks, it may be better to simply use the radio to switch rather than using the gyro switch. Just something to consider.

ov10mech
06-03-2010, 01:08 AM
I am glad I ran across this article. This is SO much easier than getting at that set button. I opened up the case and removed the set button assembly that was loose inside.

Seems to be operating on the bench just fine. I am actually kind of glad the thing broke.. I would have never found the alternate programming method :)

You can program using the method described here: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/faq/faq.php?topic=101 However, I am concerned that the loose metal bits will rattle inside the gyro and possibly cause a short which will result to loss of tail control. As a minimum these need to get removed. Preferably get the switch fixed properly.

-Angelos

RChristopher
06-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I am glad I ran across this article. This is SO much easier than getting at that set button.

http://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif