PDA

View Full Version : .30 sized Pantera Conversion

Pages : [1] 2

grwarlock
05-22-2010, 10:48 AM
So, you wanna .30 sized ship do ya ?

Thats not hard at all. The doctor is in the house and has the right tools in his tool bag to help you with the change.

What you need.

1 32-39 2 stroke heli motor of your choice.
1 JR venture 30 motor mount.
(depending on the mounting flange of your motor you can use the stock motor mount. In my case it was a .36 TT pro so I got the venture .30 mount)

1 set 550mm blades.

Now , build the kit to spec's. follow the motor mounting and dial indication as normal.

Setup is the same and can be tweaked after to best suit your motor choice.

Go fly !

Simple huh.

Very stable as it is a Pantera, longer tail means rock solid stay put tail. Smaller engine = better gas mileage.

You can shorten the tail if you like with a jr venture tail boom, tail box and belt but you must also get the idler pulley as the belt has different teeth and will not mesh with the stock on the Pantera.

How many of these are flying atm ... 2 that I know of including a 4 stroke version.

I did not include pictures as there are no real changes just a motor , blade swap.

So we add this one to our "Just shut up and fly" Conversions

Ken :fly

Mr.HillBilly
05-22-2010, 06:05 PM
A Century Hawk 30 motor mount is a direct drop in also.

grwarlock
05-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank you for that info HB !

helipainter
05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
My OS32 is mounted on a ergo 32/46 mount and it went straight in. Love the way it flies being so light. Stable and predictable. Doesn't need a whole lot in the way of servos cause there just isn't much forces on em. Am running JR nes-517 and they actually perform.

Guess that makes three lol

grwarlock
05-26-2010, 05:46 PM
36 pro TT for power !

Mr.HillBilly
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a TT 36 that just loved to start running backwards after you run it for a bit. Took it out and put it on a test stand with a undersided prop to try and blow it up and ever since it has been the best airplane motor I have ever had. I never did try it on a Heli. again tho.

nighthawkron
05-28-2010, 08:58 AM
This probably sounds dumb but I wonder if an OS 48 surpass would have the torque to fly this bird with ? :confused:

helihole
05-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Barely!

grwarlock
05-28-2010, 10:50 PM
This probably sounds dumb but I wonder if an OS 48 surpass would have the torque to fly this bird with ? :confused:

Uhh 4 stroke, NO.. .61 would be the very smallest I would use and even then its performance is below par. I know I did it. Thats why the build for the 4 stroke is .91-125.

That gave the HP's to pull the blades at a decent speed to fly.

But now 2 stroke I would say .30 all the way to .91 0r larger if you can fit it and gear it.

Can't say to much but I have seen a P50 with 800mm spinning. Was stable and impressive.

Any how I'm derailing this thread as its supposed to be about .30 conversion .

........... back to the .30 discussion.

Ken Here
05-28-2010, 11:08 PM
grwarlock, do you think a .61 4 stroke would be ok for beginner non 3d forward flight? Thanks in advance.

grwarlock
05-29-2010, 10:03 PM
grwarlock, do you think a .61 4 stroke would be ok for beginner non 3d forward flight? Thanks in advance.

If your new to heli's stick with stock. You have a cooling issue to over come and that at this time comes with a price tag of around 80.00 (fan,esc,battery.) for the 4 strokes.

Until one of us can find a fan that works on the stock hub and does the job properly this is the only solution to cooling them.

Ken

redgiki
05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Having built my Pantera with 3 different engines prior to fitting the winner, I have to say just buy a good .50-sized 2-stroke for your first Pantera. The OS .50 hyper flies it great, it fits perfectly, you have no alignment or other issues, and it just goes. Any other similarly-sized engine should be just fine and work well with the snorkel & fit perfecxtly.

Buy a second kit and build something neat with it once you've built one bog-standard Pantera that flies great :)

forvols
06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
So, you wanna .30 sized ship do ya ?

Thats not hard at all. The doctor is in the house and has the right tools in his tool bag to help you with the change.

What you need.

1 32-39 2 stroke heli motor of your choice.
1 JR venture 30 motor mount.
(depending on the mounting flange of your motor you can use the stock motor mount. In my case it was a .36 TT pro so I got the venture .30 mount)

1 set 550mm blades.

Now , build the kit to spec's. follow the motor mounting and dial indication as normal.

Setup is the same and can be tweaked after to best suit your motor choice.

Go fly !

Simple huh.

Very stable as it is a Pantera, longer tail means rock solid stay put tail. Smaller engine = better gas mileage.

Does the 50 size fan hub work with the OS.32? I never thought about a .32 using the same size crankshaft as a .50. :thinking

grwarlock
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I can speak for the TT 36 pro, it works on it !

Ken

helipainter
06-03-2010, 07:22 PM
yes, it bolted right on. Part of the collet sits a little funny on the crank, think part of the crank is machined off but cranked down with the crank lock tool it stayed fine.

forvols
06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Interesting. Thanks guys!

dharwood
06-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Curious why you are so interested in the .30 conversion? :roll:

Its almost as if you know someone with kits AND a .30............:YeaBaby:

hummmmm,

Dale

all kidding aside, thanks for all of the valuable information!

forvols
06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Not to worry dharwood.. Also looking at some interesting WTS's for OS 50 hypers. It's as if I know somebody who is reeeeeeaaally gonna want a 50 pretty quickly.

grwarlock - does the 30 with full P50 boom feel ok in the air? Have you ever flown a Raptor 30 or a Century Hawk 30? If so - how would the P50 full boom compare as a .30 powered heli? Obviously we're talking about hoverability/general flying around with NO aerobatics.

helipainter
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I came from an ergo 30, had this motor/mount in it. This thing bar none flies loops around the ergo. The head is so predictable, same as it feels with the 50 in it, just less pop

here is the 32 on the p50 with full p50 boom. It has nes 517 servos in the mid .20's so it has a little corrections going on to keep it still, but you get the idea. IT was one of the first flights i put on it and kept making shots at pulling up on the collective near the ground to make sure something was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkydJdakg5I
skip the first minute, i take it over the mulch and hover for a bit to make sure the carb smart i just installed was working, Also the punchout was 11 degrees, i since knocked it back to 9 and it looses much less head speed now. Awesome tame trainer

dharwood
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

forvols, I have a plan..................:thinking

Thanks helipainter for the video.

Dale

forvols
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
forvols, I have a plan..................:thinking

:lolol

No good thing can come of this!! :shock:

:nanabobo

RotoCopter
06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
My OS32 is mounted on a ergo 32/46 mount ...

would you mind sharing who sells the ergo 32/46 motor mount?

BTW - nice video! :thumbup:

helipainter
06-05-2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=heli&Product_Code=JRP960008

Thanks, hoping to get some real flying on it soon

helihole
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
This is what a junk box of parts and the boredom of mid winter gets you. I guess its a Raptera .30. Anyway its the club trainer. The Pantera head being as smooth as it is has given us a super stable and smooth flyer to train on. Not that a Rappy isnt a good flyer, I learned on one and still fly two, but the hybrid is smoother. Thats also the Pantera tail with Rappy gears. Whatever it is, it flys great!

grwarlock
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Thats what I love about this hobby, take 2 fine birds and combine them to make a good beater for the club. While I would rather see all Pantera you did use the heart and soul of the P50 !

Glade to see spare parts go to good use !!! +1