PDA

View Full Version : Different gyro on CPPro2?

06-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find a thread on it. Is anyone using a different gyro than the G110 or G90 on the CPPro2? I know there is only so much that can be done with a tail motor type set up, but the Eflite gyros are horrible.

Stu

Bluerocktj
06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Futaba GY401 is a good option...

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=197899

John Shipley
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Since the time that I posted the thoughts on the 401, I got a SR that came with a 110 gyro. For what ever reason, the gyro worked well on the SR for most of the moves except the serious 3D. I then upgraded the SR with better motors, servo's, esc's and a 401 gyro. Just for laughs, I put the SR gyro on my old CP pro 2 and it works great. I don't know if they made any changes in the new 110 over the ones I was using in my old post, but the new ones seem to work well. One other point about a 110, it does not work well if laying on its back. It needs to be standing up. I also use a DX 7 tx withthe gain on 85. With this set up I am able to do funnels and huricanes....normally tuff on a gyro, with no problems.....J

06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I've used both the 90 and the 110. My tail has been out of control. I too fly with a Dx7. Messed with the gain yet I can't get the tail to hold. I'm not talking about a little wag, it's a periodical 90 degree kick. The heli flies smooth. I just don't get it.

John Shipley
06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
which direction is the nose turning?? J

06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
which direction is the nose turning?? J

I want to say it's more to the left, but it will pop both directions. I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now. I have a spare Align 780 that I was thinking of throwing on there.

John Shipley
06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
The 780 is a great gyro....in a completly different class than a 90 or 110. It depends on what you want to do with your cp. If it is any where close to stock, it will never be able to do anything serious.....and there for does not need a world class gyro. If you highly upgrade your cp, then most guys are using the 401, because it has and limit and delay pot on the gyro, which seem to work better with motor tailed heli's. Jose Compos posted a video of him flying a custom CP and a 401 gyro. It is on this thread a few pages back under dieselracer. It is ammazing...but it costs some $$. I can do all the moves a cp pro can do with a 110 gyro. I also have 2 custom SR's with 401's that can do anything a big heli can do.....but at a high cost. If it were me, I would put the 780 on a bigger heli.....but I am also curious on how it would work on the cp....J

John Shipley
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
One more thing. It is important to know which direction your nose is turning. Why?? The tail motor only turns the heli in one direction, nose to the right. When the heli turns nose to the left, it is because the torque of the main motor is turning the heli and the tail motor has either stopped or slowed way down. Each of these movements requires a differnt solution. Usually a mixing pot adjustment or gyro adjustment. There is a fine line between under and over adjustments. So do this (if your heli is flyable) hover your heli and do a punch out, which direction does the nose turn?? Once you know that, you can make the right adjustments. It would be rare, because the tail motor works in only one direction, that your heli would move in both directions...J
ps. here is the link to jose compos and a cp with a 401 gyro http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=223157

Bluerocktj
06-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Since the time that I posted the thoughts on the 401, I got a SR that came with a 110 gyro. For what ever reason, the gyro worked well on the SR for most of the moves except the serious 3D. I then upgraded the SR with better motors, servo's, esc's and a 401 gyro. Just for laughs, I put the SR gyro on my old CP pro 2 and it works great. I don't know if they made any changes in the new 110 over the ones I was using in my old post, but the new ones seem to work well. One other point about a 110, it does not work well if laying on its back. It needs to be standing up. I also use a DX 7 tx withthe gain on 85. With this set up I am able to do funnels and huricanes....normally tuff on a gyro, with no problems.....J

+1 regarding the stock gyro.

I've always wanted to (and still do) upgrade to a 401, but I've never had any issues with the stock gyro on my CPP2. It holds pretty good when adjusted right and flies well when you keep it within it's limits. Definitely need to spend some $ to get it to perform like Dieselracer's dual brushless monster. Might be my next step since I got hooked on the power of the larger helis.