PDA

View Full Version : wierd sound

fusionbrad
07-12-2010, 06:30 AM
my 550 is making a screeching sound, iv tried everything and basically narrowed it down to the motor, sounds like a bearing in the motor is not right, its brand new.

is there any way to strip the motor and check?

michael88997
07-12-2010, 06:31 AM
If it's the align motor u can bet it's the bearing... U can replace with a boca bearing or just upgrade

fusionbrad
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
how would i take it apart?

how does the balance adjust screw work?

sawdogg73
07-12-2010, 12:44 PM
my 550 is making a screeching sound, iv tried everything and basically narrowed it down to the motor, sounds like a bearing in the motor is not right, its brand new.

is there any way to strip the motor and check?
I'm glad to see that someone poste this because i'm getting the same sound. :confused: Very high pitch screeching. It started after my 6th flight. How do you change the bearing on a motor?:dontknow

Nko15
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Too much or too less play in the main gear/pinion can also make weird screeching sounds...

fusionbrad
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
i tried playing around with the meshing, but its still there.
just gonna try flying it for a few flights and see if it gets better or worse

it happens at a certain rpm, if its still there after a few flights ill post a vid so u can hear it

sawdogg73
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Too much or too less play in the main gear/pinion can also make weird screeching sounds...
Ok,

I thought it could be my screw for the bottom of the main shaft that goes into the main gear. I remember when I first put the 550 together how hard it was to get the screw in.

So today I decided to try and loosen it up. Did that and test flew it. Still the same. So I figured i would take the main head and shaft all the way out and check everything. I put it back together and notice that the screw was very easy going in this time. I thought that was weird and maybe the hole was not lined up all the way. I also notice I had a slight play when I picked up my heli to take it out and test it.

I test fly it and the noise is gone. I say ok must have been the screw. I walk back in and notice a shiny washer on the floor and thought about the slight play so I took the head and main shaft back off and sure enough I forgot to put the washer on the main head. So I put it back together with the washer and the screw was still kind of hard to get in no matter how good I had the hole lined up. The play was gone but now the noise is back. What gives?

fusionbrad
07-13-2010, 01:56 AM
hmmm... i will try that asap and let you know, its been windy here everyday so as soon as i get a chance i will try it

Valley
07-13-2010, 04:43 AM
I test fly it and the noise is gone. I say ok must have been the screw. I walk back in and notice a shiny washer on the floor and thought about the slight play so I took the head and main shaft back off and sure enough I forgot to put the washer on the main head. So I put it back together with the washer and the screw was still kind of hard to get in no matter how good I had the hole lined up. The play was gone but now the noise is back. What gives?

I assume you're talking about the spacer that goes between the bearing and the collar on the main shaft?

If you used the thicker one try the thinner one, if you used the thinner one maybe you don't need it at all?

markleyland
07-13-2010, 05:03 AM
+1 Sounds logical

Nko15
07-13-2010, 08:19 AM
There are 2 supplied tes, a 0.3mm and 0.5mm washer, ONLY use the 0.3 washer.. otherwise you cant get the bolt in... and your bearing will have a very high axial load.. wich is not good.. i forgot to mention i only run the 0.5 without play..

sawdogg73
07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
There are 2 supplied tes, a 0.3mm and 0.5mm washer, ONLY use the 0.3 washer.. otherwise you cant get the bolt in... and your bearing will have a very high axial load.. wich is not good.. i forgot to mention i only run the 0.5 without play..
Can't believe I missed that part in the manual F***! I hope i didn't screw it up. I'm not sure if it’s the .3 or .5. Is it labeled? How much play is ok? Mine is small.