PDA

View Full Version : UBEC size for my 500 build ...

momofx
07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
I am considering an Exceed UBEC that is rated at 3A constant but I was wondering if 3A was enough for my setup as shown below...

Spektrum AR6100E Receiver
Hitec HS225MG Cyclic Servo's (x3)
Futaba S9254 Tail Servo
Futaba GY401 Gyro

Do you guys think the 3A UBEC would be enough or do I need a 5A Cont. UBEC? Thanks!

bigwolf
07-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I have ordered CC 10A BEC (http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html). I think a lot of people use it and are happy with it. And the price is also good.

momofx
07-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Well the Castle one looks good but if I can save a little that would help :) Sooooo, I was wondering, would the one in the link below work for my setup without any hiccups?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html

lankey
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
What's the burst rating of that Exceed uBEC?

momofx
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
3A constant 5A Max,

Tisondm
07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
If you are going to use a 3 amp bec I would just use the built in in bec in the stock Esc. That would save you even more.

momofx
07-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Oh ok I forgot to add that the ESC is not Align, its a FMT 70A nom. 90A peak ESC. I know its some unknown brand but I have read lots of good experiences with it in different forums so I thought I would give it a shot ;) . It suppose to have a built in BEC but rated at only 2A lol.

Well I decided to get a Castle 10A BEC to go with this setup. I have heard tons of good thing about these too and I already have the usb programmer - the CastleLink since I use it with my RC Monster Truck hehe...

lankey
07-16-2010, 04:11 AM
3A constant 5A Max,

You would not be gaining anything over the stock internal BEC on the 500. CC Pro BEC was a good call.

shizack
07-16-2010, 10:50 AM
...its a FMT 70A nom. 90A peak ESC...

That's what I have. I'm also running the BEC you originally mentioned (rebranded HobbyWing 3A/5A) at 6V.

I get a little worried at times, but no problems yet. Running 4 digital servos and a GY401 on 5S.

I've been looking hard at that CC BEC but I really balk at having to buy cables and software just to up the voltage to 6V.

Every time I throttle down to 0 and let the heli sit a few seconds the motor does the startup beeps. It's caused no issue yet but it is weird.

momofx
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice to see you using the same ESC lol - yeah I seen lots of threads on the net and none of them bad about this ESC except the usual fanboys saying that it's not Align quality, etc. etc. etc.

Anyways on an even better note this Friday, I found the Castle 10A BEC on the 'Bay for $10 buyitnow!! Total $16 shipped priority mail! Ya I am a happy camper :YeaBaby:

Shizack, did you have to program the ESC or was it just plug and play?

shizack
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Never tried it plug-and-play. The motor and ESC arrived several days before the servos so I went ahead and set it up as best as I could.

I couldn't find its exact manual but someone on RCG said it was the programming was the same as a Suppo and the instructions in this PDF were the same. I did it according to this and it's been fine. The motor runs kinda hot so I may play with the timing.

momofx
07-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Hey thanks for that manual cos I sure needed it :noteworthy . As you can guess, tryin to get support from the seller was ehhhh very hard to understand... :arggg:

I got to hold a DX7 and now I do not feel like holding my DX6i - "oh brother where art thou money?" LOL.