Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Metal grip induced wobble???

So I was pretty excited to see how my new power system was gonna perform. Upgraded to a CC ICE 100 and HYPERION VX 35C 5000 6S battery, and because of this decided to finally install metal blade grips. The first few flights were batt break in, linear TC (0,25,50,75,100) hovers only, no problems. Then uped the norm curve to 0,45,73,90,100. This produced a pretty good lateral. Thinking my HS might be low, went to IDLE 1 @ 90% flat. Same thing , lateral wobble. At this setting I didnt think it was the HS that was the problem. Went back to the plastic grips and the wobble was gone with the same settings.........any ideas?!?!
brolley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Did you dbl check tracking with the new grips? How are the dampers? Maybe just bad grips, they could have been bored out uneven. Do the blades look straight when installed?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure how much this will help but try adjusting how tight you run your blade grips. I got a whole ESP head for my CF and after install and setup, I had a horrible vibration. In the end I had to run my blade grips really loose. Loose to the point where they fold on me carrying my bird to and from the grass for flights..
BigIreland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I didnt get a chance to try anything yet, too busy at work with the big choppers. But I want to take the bearings out of the new grips, check them out and look for any differences between the grips( maybe weigh them?). When I put them back on I will recheck track & balance. I thought the metal would be a little more precise than the plastic. Hopefully I find something. I was running the blades pretty tight... but was under the impression that most people do?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I run mine pretty tight as well. I usually stand behind the heli and grab both blades at once to fold, but generally my blades are just tight enough that I have to do them one at a time. Haven't had any issues, but unless you have a really soft start ESC, you undoubtably know if you're too loose...
Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolley View Post
So I was pretty excited to see how my new power system was gonna perform. Upgraded to a CC ICE 100 and HYPERION VX 35C 5000 6S battery, and because of this decided to finally install metal blade grips. The first few flights were batt break in, linear TC (0,25,50,75,100) hovers only, no problems. Then uped the norm curve to 0,45,73,90,100. This produced a pretty good lateral. Thinking my HS might be low, went to IDLE 1 @ 90% flat. Same thing , lateral wobble. At this setting I didnt think it was the HS that was the problem. Went back to the plastic grips and the wobble was gone with the same settings.........any ideas?!?!
Sounds like the original plastic grips were dampening some vibration that the new metal grips have highlighted.

Recommend checking the condition of your head dampers, grey for <2050rpm and black for >2100rpm.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A buddy of mine changed out his grips and had a bad vib or wobble and you noticed it in the skids...turns out to be the new grips were missed drilled and we fought this prob for weeks trying to find it. Try new grips.
johnic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wont be able to try new grips! The other day my helicopter blew up!!! Im pretty sure one of the plastic grips broke in flight! Loud bang followed by parts flying everywhere! One of the blades had no visible damage and half of the grip still attached. Broken frame , tail boom , tweaked rotor head... didnt check them yet but I hope my electronics are good. So now I have to decide to 1) rebuild, 2) new ESP airframe or 3) new 550. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in