PDA

View Full Version : 53H BREAK IN

tacoted
07-20-2010, 08:13 AM
hi. can someone please tell me the best way to break in my thunder tiger 53H engine? I checked out the manual and it said its a running in process??? whats that mean fly and break it in the same time? thank you very much:arggg:

seanh
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I'd follow the breakin process here.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=177092&highlight=break-in

tacoted
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
cool thanks a lot i will check it out . plus i am looking in heli freak but i just dont see any thing yet.hmmmmmmm...thanks again

kenh
07-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Put it in the heli and fly it. IMO you don't have to have it slobbery rich. Just slightly so. If you can fly circuits, then vary the power setting. Load the engine, then unload it. Kind of like shooting an aborted auto. This will help break in the ring.

If all you can do is hover, then resign to the fact that your engine may not last quite as long or have quite as much power as a properly broke in engine. By the time it is ready for a rebuild you will have progressed to FF and it will no longer be an issue.

Having the engine slobbery rich will actually impede the break in progress by not letting the parts have the prover oil film on them (too much oil).

Read what is written in the following link. You may or may not agree with what is said but I have found it to be true. In fact, my first year instructor at the auto tech school I went to used pretty much the same procedure for break in. That was back in good ol' 1974:thumbup:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

tacoted
07-21-2010, 07:50 AM
ok thanks kenh I will look at that.I am new but not new to nitro I was able to catch on fast I can fly no 3d but I can fly I can put some load on and off it . these heli engines are just like breaking in some of my rc car engines I warm them up put a little load on and off get them hot then cool it down after the first tank and do this for a 3 or 4 tanks then start leaning it out one or two clicks at a time. I have nitro engines that last well over 120 tanks of fuel on 20% nitro and they still run .but heli engine are new to me .thanks again any info on this always helps me out

BarracudaHockey
07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Yea that slobbering rich thing does nothing, parts have to reach operating temperature for the ring to seat properly.

tacoted
07-21-2010, 08:15 AM
the factory setting is 3 turns out I am going to go 2 1/2 start it and look at the smoke and go from there BarracudaHockey have a good one