PDA

View Full Version : a123 anyone know anything about them?

rcboosted
12-04-2006, 01:08 AM
All I can gather is that they are supposed to be 5x the capacity of liops and have a 5min recharge time. But the actual product available right now (cheapest to buy by getting dewalt battery pack) are not very impressive at all. What I really like is the 5 min recharge. All would need are 2 packs and I can fly all day til my Tx dies.

MONDO50M
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I just did a search on 'a123' and came up with a website about these batteries. I saw nothing in the 11.1 volt range. The best voltage I saw was 9.9. It looks like these batteries are only outputting 3.3 volts per cell.

carlo_the_wonder_frog
12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
You won't want to use the A123 on a small heli, the batteries are large and heavy, they are like NiMH or NiCd cells, round with a metal case. Works great for large scale airplanes and power tools though. High discharge rate, fast charging ( 15 minutes) and inherently safer than a foil pack LiPo.

cudaboy_71
12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
if you just want to buzz around in the sky, the emolis and the 123s will fly in a small bird. but, you won't get much sport flying out of them. they are just too heavy. as far as PRACTICAL discharge and charging, they are not good for much more than 15C discharge. however, they can be abused pretty well during the charge phase. you may pop a cell, rendering it useless. but, nowhere near the volatility of the lipos. charging at 3C is no problem.

i've seen 4s, 5s and 6s emoli setups on the 30 sized swift perform very nicely though. 123 cells should perform similarly.

you should check out the threads on rcgroups for both the 123s and the emollis if you're interested. that'll be good for a couple of evenings of reading. lots of good info.

rcboosted
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
That's the thing, they claimed all these advantages over lipo and yet the product has less than half of what they claimed. I guess it's not mature enough yet. When I first read about it, it sounded like we can ditch our lipos and go a123. Guess that won't happen at least until my packs wear out.

prototype3a
12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
What I've read, and I've read a lot on these suckers, is that they are very good in a 15s setup on a 600 sized bird like a converted raptor 50v2, but otherwise don't bother. Hopefully A123 will have some next gen cells out before too long. The M1s just aren't well suited to our small helis.

cudaboy_71
12-05-2006, 08:33 PM
i wouldnt put the limit on the 50 sized birds. like i said, i've seen first hand that the emolis fly VERY well on the swift--a .30 sized electric.

no, you're not going to pound them like you would with lipo packs...no gravity stopping 3D...but, as far as sporty, agressive flying they do just fine in 5s, 6s and 7s setups. 4s was even admirable if only mildly sporty.