PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Frame or Stock

rspiegel
07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I cracked my lower right and left frame after battery died mid flight and it dead duck to the ground (not grass). I need to get stock frame. 13$ or upgrade to Carbon for 60$. 50$ diff. So is the CF Frame better?

scott s
07-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Sure it is "better" All the bearing blocks and boom clamps are aluminum as are the servo mounts and antirotation base.Dont confuse the fiber glass version with the carbon version. I think the carbon version is more than you stated above. Thing is you will get hardly any benefit from this frame with stock components. Head,tail,motor etc. Also if you are crashing often it could become quite costly.

whoanelly
07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
the nice thing about carbon is u can replace parts of the frame without tearing the whole thing apart..i reall like that..the one from CNC heli the frame is in 5 pieces..also no shaving the frame if u upgrade servos the servo mounts are adjustable..if u break the landing skid tab off all u do is replace the bottom piece..
way better in my opinion..and u can also just order the parts u need ,,not the whole frame.

and_des
07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Yes a cf frame is nice, but for me it`s the stock plastic one, dirt cheat to replace and always in stock at the LHS

T/CHunter2009
07-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Go with stock .& stay with stock except for : servos / gyro & ESC . Fly it until your real good , no crashing anymore ,and then move up to a Trex 500 ESP. Then you'll be flying a awesome Heli that is bigger , way more stable and a real blast to fly. :thumbup:

justanewbie
07-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Whoanelly which version do you have? Because I was interested in this frame as well. I believe the $90 carbon frame (H version) is heavier than the $60 standard frame. Do you happen to know how much heavier it is, and how much heavier these frames are compared to the stock frame?

whoanelly
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I have the frame from CNChelicopter.com. I've never weighed it but I can't tell u I haven't noticed a difference in flight at all,,I think they are real close.I'm replying from my phone or id give u the link. Good luck to u.

dannylightning
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Whoanelly which version do you have? Because I was interested in this frame as well. I believe the $90 carbon frame (H version) is heavier than the $60 standard frame. Do you happen to know how much heavier it is, and how much heavier these frames are compared to the stock frame?

i was looking at that also, they are all h models except for one. i wonder how heavy they are. i want the carbon one but i dont want it to be heavy

whoanelly
07-30-2010, 12:03 PM
U won't notice a thing..they are very light as well,,

scott s
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
The H actually denotes the use of slightly thicker material. (1.5 mm) Someone in another forum (runryder) I believe, did a weight comparison of the H carbon frame and the stock frame and they were within 2 or 3 grams of each other if memory serves me correctly. The H carbon is lighter than the H glass version. The other version was the first I believe and as stated uses thinner material. I would avoid that one even though the price is attractive. The carbon is very stiff and the extra 2 or 3 grams is totaly not noticable. What you will notice is lack of flex in high G maneuvers and overall better precision and handling . Also as whoanelly stated the heli will be easier to work on and repair. I just would not invest in one till i was out of the crash stage.