PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Effects on Structural Integrity?

Lammy1000
12-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I live in the northeast USA and it gets very cold. The question is i store my helis in my unheated garage. Last winter my blade cp was fine in the cold, but with the T-Rex's additional stresses my concern is brittle fracture, what are others' experiences? I can not fly 3d so flights are relatively easy on the birds.

OTA
12-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Aluminium parts are not suffering from low temperatures at all, it actually shows the same good toughness even to -200 degr.C (Thats one of the reasons Alu is used as liquid gas storage tanks in the industry)
For different sorts of plastics, there is more difficult to say exactly what happens
at reduced levels of temperatures, but as far as I know from my experience from flying in Norway (really cold winters) neither myself or other have reported brittle fractures.
Be aware that plastics may suffer from ageing, espesially if exposed to sunlight for extended periods. But will guess that is not normal problem .
So forget your concerns and just go flying :)

Lammy1000
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
It now appears, according to one person, that the T-rex's belt may be the weak link in cold temps. It is currently 30 degrees Far and I just hovered around my garage for 7 minutes which, of course, proves nothing. Anyway, this is a great hobby and i can only hope belt failures are not related to cold temps? There is always the blade cp which is not phased by the cold...yeah, not quite a T-rex.

carlo_the_wonder_frog
12-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I can definitely tell you that at -25 F the landing gear gets very brittle. I left my T-Rex in the shop overnight and the power went out and no heat on the coldest day of the year. Got to the shop and took the heli inside, just plopped it on the table and both skids shattered all the way up to the screws in the frame.