PDA

View Full Version : FBL Head

Pages : 1 [2] 3

torana74
09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Who in the US has the X5 head?

Try Empire Hobby. They are the American distributor. Can't seem them on the website but i do know that alot hasn't been put up yet.

Send them a message and i'm sure they'll help out

Contact link (http://www.empirerc.com/contact_us.php?sess=5a985ddfbb9cd4cdba8becd781f5d5 85)

Vas

flypilot
09-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I just got my FBL X5 head and it came with two small washers that I don't know where to put.

The manual states on top of page 3 that there is supposed to be one washer between the two bearings in the washoutarm on one side and two on the other?? Washer marked D#, anyone seen the same thing?

torana74
09-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Flypilot, i haven't got one to see, but if going off previous models, 1 between the bearings, 1 on the inside and some used 1 behind the head of the bolt. Can leave the bolt side one off if the bolt head doesn't foul on the outer of the bearing.Hope that makes sense. Hopefully someone with these heads will chime in. Looks like the manual shows one too many washers on that side.

Another thing found on earlier models, be very gentle doing up the bolt. Can crush bearings/washers very easily. Loctite and minimal torque.

Vas

flypilot
09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
What I found is that I can at max use one washer on the locknut side, otherwise the bolt is too short for the nylock to grip. So in my mind this design needs one thinner washer on the bolthead side as well to push on the inner race of the bearing on that side, now it just pushes on the whole bearing which is not optimal. I'll se if I can find one in my scrapbox.

mjbrands
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Hmm, I see what you mean - when I put the washer between the head and the (lock) nut, the bolt only screws about 1-1.5 mm into the nylon ring in the lock nut. I would've liked the bolt to be 1-2 mm longer.

I was tempted to leave the washer off myself, but looking at it more carefully showed the lock nut would not touch the inner race. While I wouldn't be too worried (even though you should not do it) about the locknut touching both the inner and outer race on one side, putting pressure on the inner race on one side (head) and outer race on the other (lock nut) would be bad (tm).

flypilot
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes, I am a little bit mystified myself as I think this is a bit below par on quality compared to the X5 kit itself. did not think they would make such a simple mistake...maybe too quick through the quality control?

g-bru
09-17-2010, 05:57 AM
I went out and got a 5mm longer bolt, fits perfect now with all washers! :) :thumbup:

G.

flypilot
09-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Yeah I realized one another thing about this bolt the other day here that it not shanked, are a little bit worried about the possibility of it snapping of? What do you guys think, is it strong enough?

Mikej
09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah I realized one another thing about this bolt the other day here that it not shanked, are a little bit worried about the possibility of it snapping of? What do you guys think, is it strong enough?

If you have it done up properly then there they will be a strong clamping action, so limited shear force on the bolt shaft itself.

flypilot
09-18-2010, 02:38 AM
thats good to hear..

terrabit
09-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Which head dampeners are you guys using? I understand that dampeners that are too stiff can cause problems with fbl, especially at lower headspeeds which I intend to run. The primary symptom is a shudder or oscillation at hard stops with elevator and aileron inputs. My sense is that the red dampeners may be too hard. I'm still waiting on parts so ai haven't had a chance to test this for myself.

Any observations?

g-bru
09-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Which head dampeners are you guys using? I understand that dampeners that are too stiff can cause problems with fbl, especially at lower headspeeds which I intend to run. The primary symptom is a shudder or oscillation at hard stops with elevator and aileron inputs. My sense is that the red dampeners may be too hard. I'm still waiting on parts so ai haven't had a chance to test this for myself.

Any observations?

Just maidened the X5 with new FES Head and BeastX.

I am extremely dissapointed! :(

Horrible aileron oscillation! :mad: :arggg: I am using the red dampers, and have spoken to a Gaui stockist who is experiencing the exact same problem with this setup and has tried both the red and black dampers - still same oscillation! :thumbdown:

I know that Damien eDek has the same aileron oscillation, so by my count that makes 3 of us with this problem. Are there any others???
Trying to determine if it is the Gaui FES Head or the BeastX which is causing the vibration. Gut feeling is it is the X5 FES. Hopefully Vas will have his V-Bar installed soon and can respond with his flight results.
In the meantime I will be contacting Gaui to confirm if they had tested the new X5 FES with the BeastX.

Feeling a little deflated right now, especially after reading all the positive feedback regarding the Beast, but then again I had read none that where flying the X5 with Beast.

G.

terrabit
09-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Have you tried lowering the gain settings? What headspeed?

g-bru
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Not yet, charging the packs and will try the following tomorrow.

1. Gain settings.
2. Normal double sided tape on Beast, currently using Align PU Gel.
3. Edge FBL Blades

Red dampers = 95 Hardness
Black dampers = 75 Hardness

Does a 85 hardness exist? I e-mailed Gaui, to which they replied - NOPE!

Wondering what FBL unit Gaui was using when they tested the FES head. :confused::confused:

G.

terrabit
09-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Any obvious vibs? If you spin it up without blades and put your hand on the boom, does it feel smooth or harsh?

g-bru
09-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Any obvious vibs? If you spin it up without blades and put your hand on the boom, does it feel smooth or harsh?

Hmmmm.... I like your thinking bro! Will have to give it a try tomorrow, its 23H00 here in the UK, don't wanna upset the wife and dog. ; )

So is that your broken collarbone? You do MX by any chance???

Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terrabit
09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Cage fighting ... Na, I tripped and fell while running about two years ago. Running full speed over uneven pavement in Crocks is a bad idea! Spiral fractured the left clavicle, grade 2 seperateration of the AC joint and a cracked left scapula. Breaking bones make a peculiar sound. I jumped up and started looking for my cell phone which was actually still in my pocket. It didn't hurt at first. Took about 10 minutes for the pain to become so severe that I almost began to hyperventilate - while I was driving myself to the hospital (in a truck with a manual transmission. You do the math. :) ) I've been run over by a car, broke my pelvis in three places, torn my ACL, severed tendons, nerves and veins on a table saw and had my nose broken three times (once by myself) and I have never experienced pain like that. Sneezes were otherworldly. I still need a surgery to fix it but I don't have medical insurance. The only treatment I recived for it was Ibuprophen. What a joke!

I did MX when I was younger. Had much worse injuries while mountain biking (hyperflection of the 2nd and third vertibrate, torn rotator cup, 12 stitches in my face). I've also been in innumerable altercations which, by the way, I never lost. Good times! :D

torana74
09-19-2010, 05:10 AM
terrabit, mate ,ouch i really feel for you. Those crocks should be banned!!
And how many broken bits in you. Should start calling you lucky ;)

G, the bits are on the way mate. Hopefully if our post system pulls their finger out, i'm praying for it all to show up later in the week.

As terrabit suggested, any vibs?? Notchy bearings etc.

Vas

terrabit
09-19-2010, 05:50 AM
I just balanced the Gaui blades that came with my kit. They were way off. I had to use about 6cm of heavy electrical tape to make them balance. That could cause enough vibration to compromise a fbl unit. It's worth checking.

g-bru
09-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Terrabit, dude, you are one accident prone gentleman! ;)

Maniacs are weighing in each at 106.1g and 106.2g, TBH have not verified the balance as managed to break my balancer. Worth checking for sure.

All bearings are NEW, I did take the blades off to spool up the bird and no vibes whatsoever, smooth as silk.

I then proceeded to place my finger lightly on the airframe at various locations, there is a definite, high frequency vibe/resonance running through the carbon. It is particularly bad exactly where the Beast is mounted (lower rear compartment). I noticed that that lower plate has a lot of up and down play in it as there are only the 3 mounting screws along the horizontal axis that fixes this to the airframe. I am going to try insert some foam or hard rubber between the 2 carbon plates to see if it reduces the resonance.

BTW, I have tried hard DS Tape, Soft DS Tape, Align PU Gel, PU Gel/Metal Plate/PU Gel, all these combinations are giving the same result!!! AAAAAARGH :mad::mad::mad::mad:

G.

g-bru
09-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Just checked the blades balance, they are perfect. :mad: :confused:

G.

terrabit
09-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Have you tried a velcro strap with any of those combinations? A strap made all the difference with my Protos. I'm not sure what to say about your oscillation. I sure hope I don't have that much trouble.

Terrabit, dude, you are one accident prone gentleman! ;)

Dude, I'm 43. I've hiked, climbed, skied, cycled and kayaked all my life. I also toured with the Dead and bounced people out of my bar for several years. If I were accident prone I'd be dead.

g-bru
09-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Yup, tried the strap too. :(

Uploaded some videos, 1st is the bench test showing no vibes with the blades off, 2nd is the flight test, pay careful attention to the skids wobbling at 30sec & 1min. (Sorry for the poor footage of the flight test, hovering made all the more difficult with the wind gusting through the trees & some poor camera work from the missus). :oops:

Bench test - no vibes - silky smooth. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCzgF2kPWN4

Flight test @ 30 sec & 1 min you can just about see the wobbling skids. :arggg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zba7uaFeRak

Admittedly, the X5 feels great, completely locked in and stable if I don't look for the wobble.

What ya'll think?

G.

eDeK
09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I have EXACTLY the same problem with the beast....

g-bru
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Damien, thanks bud, so it's not just me!

What are your thoughts regarding this wobble? Do you think it is from the X5 or the BeastX unit. Personally I think it is the X5, there are many testimonials from the Align fanboys about how smooth and stable their Align models are, even Nitro's!!!!!!

I would like to get a group of us to confirm we are all experiencing this issue and contact Gaui about it, they have to listen or they will be losing me as a customer. Harsh I know, but I am really P******D! :mad: :bomb:

I neither have the money nor time to get this resolved on my own and feel that it is up to the manufacturer to test and come up with a solution and they had better not expect us to pay for it either! For me the X5 is by far the best Heli in the 500 series, however, this wobble is unacceptable and I am simply not willing to return to flybar.

I was simply expecting to setup and have a perfectly smooth flying heli!

So boys, in short I would like to compose an e-mail to Gaui regarding this problem, but I need your support.
Please correct me if I am wrong, however, we do need to get this resolved some way or another. Please provide your full name and I will include it on the e-mail to Gaui TSH.

Thanks

Grant