PDA

View Full Version : DX6I / AR6200 / 401 GYRO PROBLEM.

rcdave930
08-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Evening all . Does any one else have a problem with their gyro not inicializing in HH . Problem seems to be radio/receiver not remembering its position when you power down. 1 out of maybe 20 times it will come on and lock into HH. If you power down just the receiver it will come back in HH every time ??? But that cannot be a good setup becouse now the power interrupt makes the receiver blink and if you were to have a REAL power spike or failure you will never know what really happened. I have set 0 for HH @65% / 1for rate@15% and asigned them to the gyro switch I dont want to atempt to fly this this way as this is a brand new 50 size scale century bell47 heli. If this is not a simple fix the radio/receiver combo is getting junked and going back to my futaba radio that i sold before this build. thanks in advance if you know to fix.

Apples
08-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Did you power down both the receiver and transmitter and start anew? Or, did you just unplug and plug the receiver with the transmitter still on? I may be mistaken, but, I think the system requires that you turn both off.

While I never had a problem initializing a 401 gyro in HH, with a DX6i and a AR6200, in an Atom 500, it would intermittently not stay in HH. With 70% in AVCS (position 0) and 40% in rate mode (position 1), the gyro would come back from a flight with the LED blinking, i.e, "Offset from the neutral position". There was never any indication that the receiver had rebooted as a cause for the gyro to lose trim (?). Irked by the inconvenience and uncertainty of these events, I changed out the 401 to a GY 520.. To my surprise, I got the same results - a blinking violet light in flight, in HH.

There was no satisfaction in calling Horizon Hobby support; they never heard of the problem; the rep. claimed he had no "knowledge of the competitor's (Futaba) product". And, I'm still waiting for a email reply from Futaba.

After getting the same results with 2 different gyros, I concluded that the problem may lie with the Spektrum Tx and rx, so I changed out to my Futaba 9C with a 2.4gHz XPS module and an XPS, 2.4, 8 channel, sailplane receiver. Result - Problem gone.

I apologize if the comments above don't address your concerns.

marchambault
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Try rebinding the TX/RX. Ensure there is no trim or subtrim on the rudder channel.

rcdave930
08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes i have tryed shuting down rec than radio the problem happens after every start up. but if by chance it comes on and locks in HH. the next time you power down rec first than radio. the next time you power up radio first than rec it powers up and settels into the rate mode {red light blinking} if you just power down rec than power back up it will lock into HH every time .BUT the receiver now is blinking telling you you have had a power interruption. not safe to fly like that becouse you will never know if you crash if it was a mech problem or a true rec issue .I am stumped horizon wount even return my calls for two days now. left multi messages no replys . great customer relations:thumbdown:

Apples
08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
RCDave930,

Some things to consider:
1. Rebind the Tx and Rx as suggested by "marchambault".
Rebind to set the "Fail-Safe" setting in the Tx. An incorrect "Fail-Safe" setting can cause the gyro to fail to initialize.
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=1342841&postcount=273
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=1080193&postcount=198

2. Is your gain plugged into channel 5 on that AR6200? If so, was the channel reversed by accident during setup?

rcdave930
08-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks Apples . I rebound the the system before but i think the fail safe position may have been the culpult. it seems to have solved it.:noteworthy I had tryed rebinding before and it made no change ??? . I will retry multi times before i send her up for the first time thanks agian . i hope it was the problem. DAVE.

Apples
08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
A "Thank You" to "marchambault" for pointing out the possible solution to the problem.

rcdave930...I could be wrong (the manual doesn't state it emphatically) but, I think that anytime you make a setup (programming) change you have to re-bind. And, if you are anything like me, after you've bound the Tx and Rx, remember to pull out the binding plug BEFORE you turn off the Tx and Rx. If you don't, you may not have the binding with failsafe that you are looking for.

rcdave930
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
I checked the failsafe programing by shutting down the transmitter and than putting it back on and it defalted to low throttle. but i had rebound before and it didnot seem to help? I will do a ton of trial boot up to make sure it is truly fixed . Agian thanks to all that helped im spoiled becouse futaba radios are so easy to set up being they have a complete gyro setup menu screen. Thanks agian this fourm is the best:YeaBaby:

Apples
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Here's what another poster on HeliFreak, DKSHEMA, contributed to the topic of binding with Spektrum and the 401 gyro:

"Bind plug into battery port on RX.

Plug battery (or other power source -- ESC/BEC) into ANY remaining slot.

Turn on RX power. The lights will blink.

Hold the bind button on the rear of the TX DOWN while turning on the Transmitter, hold the button down till both lights -- main RX AND Satellite stop blinking and go on solid.

Turn off receiver. REMOVE BIND PLUG.

Turn off Transmitter.

The AR7000 MUST be bound with a satellite RX attached. I would think the same is true for that 9-channel RX.

When binding, set your THROTTLE to the position you want the throttle to go to should the RX ever go into fail safe mode. This is typically "low" throttle setting.

If you are using a GY401 gyro, make sure that the transmitter is set up to put the GY401 into HH mode before you bind. As the 401 needs to be in HH mode at power up, this step will make sure that the RX puts the gyro into HH mode at power up, while continuing to link up with the TX."

marchambault
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I checked the failsafe programing by shutting down the transmitter and than putting it back on and it defalted to low throttle. but i had rebound before and it didnot seem to help? I will do a ton of trial boot up to make sure it is truly fixed . Agian thanks to all that helped im spoiled becouse futaba radios are so easy to set up being they have a complete gyro setup menu screen. Thanks agian this fourm is the best:YeaBaby:

Suggest you go through p.20 of the owner's manual, it details how SmartSafe works. Chances are it is doing what it is supposed to (going to low throttle position).

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM6600-Manual_DX6i.pdf

rcdave930
08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
So far guys all is well. The low throttle default was the problem. It was set by me to low BUT.... some where during the final binding it did not set to low position. After rechecking all the settings and doing a final rebinding it fixed the problem. Go figure! It is good friends like the ones i have met here that make all the difference. Here is what she turned out like. Some of my best work yet.:YeaBaby:

Apples
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Very nice.... Now, get her up before she becomes a "Hangar Queen".