PDA

View Full Version : The Siren Call of Nitro

Pages : 1 [2]

skunkworx
08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
It's funny, two years ago all you heard about was the NITRO SHORTAGE (whether true or completely fictional, that's still up to debate). Now, nitro is pretty much dead, everyone's going electric.
I agree. Unfortunately, that isn't sending the fuel manufacturers into scramble mode to bring costs down a bit more in order to keep sales up. i guess with the higher prices, they are still getting their money out of it anyways. I doubt they will ever come down to reasonable enough levels ever again. To me, $15 a gallon is ridiculous -- especially in a fuel hungry 90, so electrics have pretty much become the only way I can still be in the hobby.

JAGNZ
08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
It's funny, two years ago all you heard about was the NITRO SHORTAGE (whether true or completely fictional, that's still up to debate). Now, nitro is pretty much dead, everyone's going electric.

Really? You need to go to a FF in New Zealand then. You'll see PLENTY of Nitro birds! It's LONG from being dead here. You can pry the Nitro out of my cold, dead hands.

Raynman
08-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Really? You need to go to a FF in New Zealand then. You'll see PLENTY of Nitro birds! It's LONG from being dead here. You can pry the Nitro out of my cold, dead hands.

+1 here too bro .......Nitro in my 3Dplus ...... wooooo hooooo :thumbup:

skunkworx
08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
The majority of birds at fun-flies is still predominantly nitros here in the US. There is a rather large force of electrics that are starting to take over, but it won't happen overnight. The big draw of electrics is how clean and simple they are to operate. Nitro falls on its face when it comes to environmental differences (too much humidity, altitude, temperature, fuel selection, etc...). most people start out with electrics too, so the routine is already instinct where nitro is typically learned later. Since electrics have also been able to stay up in power throughout the flights, nitro is losing its foothold. I don't doubt they will be around for a bit longer, but the day electrics both out-fly and out-last nitro in flight is the day you see the last of the dinosaurs...

enahs
08-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I love my nitro helicopter. I grew up flying glow planes so it was only natural that I get into glow helis too. Back when I started flying helis in 2006, electrics were still a niche. When my finances permit, I plan on purchasing a 500-600 sized electric heli. I love the sound and smoke of the nitro but love the convenience of electric. Owning both gives one the best of both worlds.

Grok
08-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Owning both gives one the best of both worlds.That's what I'm hoping for. :)

JAGNZ
08-28-2010, 05:43 AM
I love my nitro helicopter. I grew up flying glow planes so it was only natural that I get into glow helis too. Back when I started flying helis in 2006, electrics were still a niche. When my finances permit, I plan on purchasing a 500-600 sized electric heli. I love the sound and smoke of the nitro but love the convenience of electric. Owning both gives one the best of both worlds.

Agreed, that's why I have an Atom 500 too. It will also get 'stretched' after its first crash. :thumbup: