PDA

View Full Version : did mh upgrades now it shakes on spool up

koresample
08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Did the blade grips, head and anti rotation collar and now when i apply power to take off the heli shakes pretty good. The only issue i had when re-assembling it was i couldnt get a link in one of the sides of the anti rotation as it was closed too much to i opened the gap up with a flat head to fit it in and the other side was tight to pop it in. Could this be my problem? Does anyone have any closeup pics of theirs assembled that they could post so i can check my set up?

nothinbetr2do
08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
if you wait a minute. i'll go take some pics of mine, and try to post them

but i don't have the anti rotation collar

the balls on your links shoud float and be smooth, you should be able to kinda spin them

koresample
08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
thanks, mine are pretty much jammed in the openings and dont move at all, so i will open them up so they 'float'. I also noticed when i took it to the park tonight that it flew 'nose high' all the time and was suffering from massive TBE and the tail was shaking, actually wagging might be a better term.

CocoSantango
08-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Don't open them up, just make sure that the links can slide up and down, and if they can't- knock any burrs off with a nail file. Remember that the manufacturing bumps always face away from the main shaft. Make sure that your blade grip tension is even in both blades. Straighten the blades out along the length of the heli, then slowly turn it sideways. The blades should fall at an even speed and they shouldn't require additional force other than gravity. Get them adjusted so that they are loose enough to swivel on their own, but not so loose that they can move up and down vertically within the grip.

koresample
08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Coco, what piece are you talking about when you mention 'manufacturing bumps', the linkage?Also two things i noticed before putting it away last night, my tail prop is bent (going to replace that tonight) and my main blades dont swivel at all..does this mean that i need to back the screw off just enough so they move freely like they did when the heli was brand new?

BaconRaygun
08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Coco, what piece are you talking about when you mention 'manufacturing bumps', the linkage?Also two things i noticed before putting it away last night, my tail prop is bent (going to replace that tonight) and my main blades dont swivel at all..does this mean that i need to back the screw off just enough so they move freely like they did when the heli was brand new?

They should flop freely as coco mentioned, being too tight they will not pull out fully upon spin-up and will cause shaking due to un-even forces pulling on the main shaft.

The collar...
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/n6044k/P1000481.jpg

koresample
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks, so am i on the right track in just backing the screws out a bit on the grips so the blades flop like they used to? i also noticed your collar is tight to the links, i couldnt even get my links in the gap before opening them up, should i close them up again slightly so they just have a slight gap, i.e. a fraction on a millimeter?

BaconRaygun
08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes, loosen them to the point where they can flop easily, but not too loose where it affects tracking... And make sure they are evenly tightened, not looser on one side or anything like that.
My links are not tight to the collar, there is a tiny gap, you can see it from the picture if you look closely. Basically, the smaller the gap the better provided it operates without binding.
The reason the head and collar improve performance is the fact that there is less play in the flybar (because the collars are what keep it locked at the proper angle in relation to the blades/swash/main-shaft). Now this wonít make your heli any quicker or faster, but what it will do is improve precision, eliminate some of those random quirks and therefore give you a more locked in feeling. To further improve precision I recommend the pivot ball mod. If you look at my 'go to' thread (itís a sticky) I have posted a link to a thread started by EQMOD on how to do this... Or you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on the MH flybar which will basically do the same thing... Though itís much heavier.

Happy flying holmes!

nothinbetr2do
08-26-2010, 05:02 PM
sorry about those pics, i ran into camera issues. the stupid thing decided it doesn't want to work any more :mad:

CocoSantango
08-26-2010, 07:06 PM

The bumps I mentioned are on the shaft of the link on one side. Slide your fingernail up and down the shaft and you will feel them. If a guide or something gets bent in a crash these bumps can catch on them and it will cause some TBE.

koresample
08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone, i will go mess with it tonight and get it back in the game! :smokin:

koresample
08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
replaced the tail blades and loosened the main blades evenly.....bingo! i still have a bit of erratic movement so i am going to replace the main shaft and check to see if anything else is binding, then re trim it. Once that's done i will do the swash mod eqmod recommended.

CocoSantango
08-26-2010, 10:57 PM
replaced the tail blades and loosened the main blades evenly.....bingo! i still have a bit of erratic movement so i am going to replace the main shaft and check to see if anything else is binding, then re trim it. Once that's done i will do the swash mod eqmod recommended.

Main shaft is probably fine. Roll it on a table or other flat surface to check for bends, but I'm betting it's fine. Please describe the "erratic movement".

koresample
08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
it will hover very well then suddenly do a toilet bowl or drift forward or backwards without any stick input, then be relatively solid again.

BaconRaygun
08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
IMO those are signs of a worn flybar hub... It wears fairly quickly and since it’s not really 'locked' it can move side to side in relation to the head... The pivot ball mod fixes this, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Read this thread if you haven’t already... It has videos!
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=211444 (http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=211444)

I have my own comparison videos in this one too...
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=223784 (http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=223784)

Note the stable hands off hover in the 3rd video…

koresample
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
yup, based on the vids of the non modded msr, that looks like how mine is acting. I tried to get a ball today my the lhs but they had nothing so i trashed a stock swash (waste of 10 bones but with the mh one i have now that doesnt matter) to get the ball out of it. Now i see i dont have the necessary piece for my dremel so i will have to go out and get some accessories for it :arggg:

60something
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM
A tiny drop of thin plastic compatible oil on the ball links will make a big difference on how smoothly it flies and hovers.