PDA

View Full Version : Official GAUI 330X-S Build Thread/ Tips & Tricks

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

ppridday
06-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Arrrghhhh... Now the Vic 450 frames are on backorder because he is on vacation. How thoughtless... can't he anticipate my wants and needs?! :lol::lol::lol: Looks like upgrade will have to wait til next time....

Paul

adarsh_007
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I have a guai330xs quad and been flying this very successufully. I've got a gopro camera with a 5.8Ghz video tx. My mount is a guai single axis mount, i've also put a z axis mount (for pan) I got a 360deg pan and a tilt servo.
I've upgraded my quad with the central extension, motor board extensions
With all these upgrades, i feel my quad feels a little heavy its flying with AUW of 950gms with the stock 330xs motors and props and a 3s 2200mah lipo.
I would like to use a bigger motor on which i can put a 10" or a 11" prop so i get some some more thrust. What motor and esc combo do you guys suggest me to go for? Also what prop should i get for these.

Please put in your inputs.

Regards,
Adarsh

cliffkhew
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi,

I have a new X330s and everything is pretty good. It is a fun little device. I have a few questions though.
First the set up. I am running a JR 11X radio. AR7000 RX. Set it up as an airplane. Directions settings as per manual. I have the gear switch set and the green wire in my gear channel. I see the led change with the switch. 30% expo in controls.

When I fly in 'cruise' mode it hovers better than in hover mode. I have trimmed the model using appropriate aileron and elevator trims. I also had to put a little right trim in yaw to keep it from slowing turning. I started at 50% gain in both modes.

Questions:
1. Is it normal to have trim set in yaw (rudder) to stop the slow piro (goes to right)?
2. Is there any other way to trim it out without using radio trims? Do you use sub trim to get neutral main trims?
3. When I change from 'cruise' to 'hover' the trims are all off and I need to re trim it. Is this normal?
4. I have set the throttle curve to 80% max. Is the proper method for limiting the throttle or should it be done using an endpoint?
5. In 'hover' mode it seems to slide around quite a bit and once it gets going it is like a pendulum that becomes harder to control the longer it is up in the air. Do I just keep increasing gain until it settles? I am using about 60% in 'cruise' mode and I have tried going both up and down in hover mode without much change.

I am currently running 2S 2200MAH batteries.

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Lou

There are some problems that when you use the green wire of GU-344 connected to the receiver,the 330X-S hovering erractic,tilt even flip over itself even crash into ground not matter how the gyro sensitivity was set,the stick movement becomes very sensitive.You will find there is a big difference that when the green wire unplugged,you will end up with switching Hover & Cruise in the manual way.
You can try by removing the green wire :)

mbsteed
07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't use hover mode with 330Xs - it doesn't work. This is common knowledge on the forums.

Baz1
07-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that instructional vid EHT-excellent.
Just a question from a complete novice--Gaui recommend Acro mode for the 330XS--in my Futuba 6EX, TX the Acro mode doesn't have a throttle or a gyro setting-but it does in heli mode? How should I go about making these settings in Acro mode?
Thanks.

bloisy
07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Please help! Gaui motor / ESC Problem?

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can offer me some advice as I'm going gray and bald at the same time over getting this Gaui 330xs to fly right.

If you take a look at the short video I've added below, one of the motors is acting up on me and I cannot figure out what the problem is. I'm quite new to this and and am learning as I go. Any and all help would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell the spinners are on correctly and the propellers are tight. A friend of mine suggested the ESC may be wonky. (?)

Is it a bad motor? Could it be the ESC not allowing enough power to the motor?

Thanks for helping!

2tPE6_hlryE

ppridday
07-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Try moving the esc to another motor to see if the problem follows it. Make sure you label them well to avoid confusion.
Does that one motor get hotter than the rest? Maybe it Is a motor issue.

Paul

bloisy
07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

The motor doesn't get hotter than the rest.

If I change the ESC around with another, will I have to go through the process of setting up the transmitter with the ESC's again?

I will try your suggestion later this evening and report back.

Thanks!

bloisy
07-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi again Paul,

I switched the ESC's around as you suggested but there was no change. Still operating erratically.

Ahhh! I hope someone can help :)

Thanks again!

MrWolf
07-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Just a couple of questions: What is your gyro gain set at? Have you tried lowering it? Are you in Cruise mode?
Does it do the same thing when hovering higher out of the prop wash? (3-4 feet)

bloisy
07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi, my Gyro gain is set at 9 o'clock and I am in Cruise mode. I tried turning the gain up (and down) but no dice.

bloisy
07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi,

So, I have done the following: exchange the #2 & #3 ESC's, lowered/increases the gain on the POT, and/or unplugged the green wire.

I did all of these but it basically became worse in terms of now it won't hover at all - and the problem still exists in motor number 3.

I hope I can get to the point when I know exactly what is causing my problems (other than my inexperience)!

Thanks

MrWolf
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Swap 2 of the motors around. If the problem changes position it's the motor, if not you might have a problem with your GU-344
My bet's on the motor being faulty.

bloisy
08-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks. I will give it a try when I get home from work tonight and let you know how I make out.

Cheers

bloisy
08-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Well, I switched motors 3 & 4 around.

The result is that it seems #2 now gets the most power and makes it wanna flip over to the left now. So, I can't get to a hover now to see if the original problem persists.

I decided to recalibrate the ESC's (one by one) using the steps shown below I found online a while back, but I still have this new problem.

I have no idea what to do with this damn thing now :thinking

Ahh...

0. Switch off the Tx and Guai
1. remove all ESC leads from the GU-344
2. remove the GU-344 gyro green wire from rx
3. set the gain on the GU-344 to minimal (ccw)
4. plug in the ESC lead of motor #1 in port #1 of the GU-344
5. set the throttle at 100%, switch on the tx and then the Gaui
6. wait for the beeps
7. move throttle to 0%
8. wait for the acknowledge beeps
9. switch off the Guai
10. remove the ESC lead from the GU-344
11. repeat steps 4-9, replace the red numbers for the appropriate motor.
12. when all four have been calibrated, plug in all the ESC leads into the GU-344 and ditto the gyro lead into rx
13. adjust the gain of the GU-344 to nine/ten o'clock for starters.

bloisy
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, the new problem I had was due to me forgetting to change the props after swapping motors. Genius. Nothing is ever obvious to newbies :D 'Props' to one of the guys at RC-Cam for pointing this out to me.

With that said, however, despite swapping the original motors 3 & 4, the strange vibration in the prop you see in the video still happens in the #3 position. So, I guess it isn't a bad bearing in the motor.

Also, the foam pads under the GU-344 are completely in tact and are not damaged in any way either.

Lastly, I haven't changed the gain in the channel 5 on the Futaba 8FG Rx simply because I don't know how and couldn't find it in the instructions or online. More research to do.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions thus far! Hopefully others can learn from my rookie mistakes!

Cheers

bloisy
08-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I changed the gain again in just about every position but the problem persists in position 3.

BUT, I am in Cruise mode and so the light on the Gyro should be RED.

I have read the manual and switched the left most switch on the Gyro but the light remains green.

Does anyone know a procedure on how to ensure the light on the GU-344 is RED? Do I have to recalibrate everything again?

All the best and thanks so much.

bloisy
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi again,

Not much to report. When I got home tonight I tried first by removing the green wire again. The LED showed Red. I proceeded to adjust the gain on the pot in tiny increments from 0 to full. No dice. Problem persists.

Regarding my Tx (Futaba 8fg), the manual is greek to me and so I've still yet to figure out how to set it properly. Once I locate a 'gain set up for dummies' I will try and post again.

Thanks again

bloisy
08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi again,

Finally with the help of some nice fellows here in Osaka I hunted down over the internet, I was able to solve the problem I was having. It was an ESC setting procedural problem. This got it flying right.

2nd problem that some people mentioned to me in the forums was perhaps the frame. I have a Gaui 330xs extended frame. I will try to get hold of a better frame to fit my 10" props.

Regarding the procedure, there are a number of different ones that are written in the forums, however this is the one that worked for me. :)

Setting the ESC's on the Gaui 330xs (using a Futaba 8FG)

1. While powered off, unplug the green wire going from the GU-344 to channel 5 of the Receiver ('Rx') on the 330xs.
2. Set the Gain dial on the GU-344 to Zero.
3. Turn on transmitter. Set the Throttle end points to 100 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, end point, THR, set the two middle numbers to 100)
4. Set the Gear end points to 50 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, End Point, GEAR, set the two middle numbers to 50)
5. From here, go to page 17 of the Gaui 500x manual found here:
http://helitech-jp.com/download/500X_CH_EN110624.pdf
6. Follow steps 1-4 written in the the boxes shown on page 17.
7. When finished, unplug the 330xs.
8. Plug the green wire back in.
9. Set the Gain dial on the GU-344 to half way (50%).
10. Set the Throttle end points to 80 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, end point, THR, set the two middle numbers to 80).
11. THIS WILL VARY DEPENDING ON HOW THE GAUI REACTS. I set the Gear end points to 45 for both sides (Go into Linkage Menu, End Point, GEAR, set the two middle numbers to 45).

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and inspiration this past week or so.

Cheers

Gauiplebe
09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm extremely new at this, and may not even be in the right spot. My situation is this. I have built a Gaui 330x, which I intend to fit with a camera to do some aerial photography. I've got most of the system put together, but am unable to find information on controllers to interface the camera with my Spektrum DX5e, or how to downlink it so that I can see what's in the viewfinder before I snap a picture.
Can anyone direct me to a site(s) where I can find the information and equipment I need? And if you can recommend the particular controllers I should use, I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks

Glenstr
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I broke one of my arms tonight, one side of one arm broke right where it goes into the center piece. I am assuming that the replacement set G-210701 is what I want, am I correct in assuming these are $21 per arm?

It's a clean break, but I don't thing its repairable - has anyone glued these back together?

Seeing as I only need one, that's not bad I guess, but I think if I were to buy all 4 I may as well get the longer ones.

brent.downey
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Tough break. :)

I managed to break mine (4 clean breaks) and it glued very well and had stable flights...
but I like to have my gear all new and decided to replace the part anyways. I just recently
purchased the vc-450 digital camo from hoverthings. Cant wait. :)

:D

Glenstr
10-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Tough break. :)

I managed to break mine (4 clean breaks) and it glued very well and had stable flights...
but I like to have my gear all new and decided to replace the part anyways. I just recently
purchased the vc-450 digital camo from hoverthings. Cant wait. :)

:D

Curious to hear how that works for you, I temp fixed mine with a chunk of popsicle stick, but last crash snapped it clean off so I'm waiting on parts now. I was seriously considering just getting the 450 frame instead - also considering the 550 frame if it would work, then a guy would have the option of doubling up on the motors for bigger payload if needed.

brent.downey
10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Got the frame and have it built. It's nice and solid and side by side it is much bigger actually. I'm now waiting on some 10" props before I transfer over the electronics.

As for fixing with ca glue, I used little slivers of carbon fiber from one of my Align tail rotors on each crack and it worked fine.

I'm actually thinking of building my own quad soon. Just to see if I can pull it off.

Cheers

B

jeremy cooksey
10-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey guys looking to buy or build a quad. I built a 6061 tricopter from fpvpilot and loved it. I fly fpv and wondering is the 330 they way to go? Does it handle wind good?