PDA

View Full Version : Parts Failure Log

Pages : 1 [2]

nute53
09-16-2010, 04:38 AM
You summed it all up, right there, ado! Don't crash, and even somewhat inferior parts will still keep you flying. Even a twitchy tail servo.

I still think quality control is the main issue,& some parts don't last long enough -including motors,batteries,head parts,servo's-they fatigue even with minimum damage.Some will last months-others just a few flights.With their size,you would have to be a super pilot not to crash every so often-given conditions,wind,ect. ,unless your just hovering indoors.
I think one of the dealers summed it up well in another forum by saying that Walkera is probably 1-2 yrs ahead with the technology,& is producing too much product at the moment,& quality control is suffering. He felt they should slow down ,with maybe just a couple new additions per/year & concentrate more on better manufacturing techniques. Of course that will never happen,& we will continue to buy the next new model no matter how long it lasts.

JossyRC
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Jacky also mentioned to me that they were having problems with management and if you saw the factory floor you would be "shocked".

As for the blades - there is a stark difference in qaulity depending on where you buy them. When I was first learning to fly it, and would still tip a bit on take off. The intitial set of blades held up fine... then of course those got trashed. I bought a set of 5 from wow and these things would not stand up to even the lightest brush against the tips. You can fell the quality in your hands and on the cheaper blades you can see like a crackling under the vinyl and the blade grips are alwasy a bit messy.... I bought 5 main disks with the heli - 3 of them where so out of round you could not get the motor gear to mesh. It would slip completly on one side - and bindup on the other.... when I bought my 4G6 - the ESC after a 1.5 minute flight was so hot the shrink wrap was split and shrunk around itself.

Or of course that is just me blaming Walkera for my learning curve.

Jeff_Barrett
09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Jacky also mentioned to me that they were having problems with management and if you saw the factory floor you would be "shocked".

when I bought my 4G6 - the ESC after a 1.5 minute flight was so hot the shrink wrap was split and shrunk around itself.

Or of course that is just me blaming Walkera for my learning curve.

Yikes. Now I want to see the factory. LOL!

I'm not surprised about the ESC. That stock inrunner wasn't exactly matched to this heli - a remnant from the 4G3 reused as a 'cost-effective' measure.

LOL! I don't know about you, but whether it's my fault or not ... I always blame the manufacturer for my crash. :YeaBaby:

Jabsten
09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow. I can't ever imagine that happening ... no wonder you have the feelings you do about Walkera.

Maybe try purchasing the HeliMax stuff instead? Like I've said, I haven't had a bad part yet.

Mine is actually the novus 125 that I have since converted. The original tail slider was fine until the ball link broke off of it. Then I went through several bad walkera parts. The bearing would just come out completely. I tried CA and it still would come out causing crashes. These crashes caused bent tail shaft and main shaft and broken blades and small bevel gear.

Jabsten
09-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Methinks maybe some of you guys still crash too often. Blame it on the parts, eh! How can parts "fail before even using them"? I share your disbelief, Crazy_Canuck, regarding Jabsten's faulty tail pitch sliders.

Regarding the feathering shafts: I suspect that some of you are compromising their integrity by shortening them or over tightening the screws. No two crashes are the same. The distribution and magnitude of forces endured will vary greatly from one crash to the next.

Don't even get me started about the blades. They were not designed with beginners in mind. Of all the Walkera and Helimax blades that I have destroyed, I would not have considered any of them to have been defective. You crash, or strike them on a hard surface, and they will break. Just call me Dumb-Thumbs.

Listen wise ass....I even have it documented to wowhobbies where I bought them. I could care less if you don't believe me or not you mean nothing to me and your sarcasm. Go drink some more.

Jeff_Barrett
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Mine is actually the novus 125 that I have since converted. The original tail slider was fine until the ball link broke off of it. Then I went through several bad walkera parts. The bearing would just come out completely. I tried CA and it still would come out causing crashes. These crashes caused bent tail shaft and main shaft and broken blades and small bevel gear.

Actually, I had forgotten, the very first part that I ever broke on my N125CP was the tail pitch slider, and in the exact fashion you described ... the fine little ball link that goes to the pitch slider arm.

I've only purchase 2 other tail pitch sliders since .... the MH one, and a stock HeliMax plastic one. I took the MH one off and put the plastic one back on because I liked it better.

Did Wow replace the sliders at least? I haven't bought anything from Wow because someone had warned me right at the very beginning they purchase sub-standard parts that are supposed "cast offs" from the factory via the owners overseas connections and ties.

Whether this is true or not, I can't say for sure because I've never ordered anything from them.

Jabsten
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Wow said they would replace one on a future order. LOL.

Jeff_Barrett
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Still waiting, huh? :P

Jabsten
09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Still waiting, huh? :P

I actually received a main gear, and tail servo rod, but no pitch slider...lol Guess they forgot me.

Jeff_Barrett
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd be on that like white on rice if I were you...

mikey1
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Suggest you might try addressing your email specifically to Jonathan at WOW. At least during the tail end of last year and first part of this year, I had emailed him several times specific to 4G6 issues and he always returned my email promptly. I used the email format available on WOW's website.

I believe the "approach" or tone one adopts in corresponding with the various suppliers, has a lot to do with customer satisfaction and whether or not you feel you've received it. Unless I feel I'm being stonewalled or treated with indifference, I always "ask" for rather than demand consideration. Regardless of whether I'm on the phone or using email, if I'm speaking or working with a "customer service" or tech rep, I always calmly and rationally explain the situation, if applicable, explain how I determined that the parts were defective and "ask" for either a refund or replacement parts. I've found that loud, abusive language or a condescending attitude dripping with sarcasm rarely produces a positive outcome whether you're dealing with Hondas, Harleys or helis.

I'm guessing if you are a servicing dealer for Walkera, your parts people are probably goin' nuts in trying to both fend off and satisfy a plethora of angry customers for a whole host of different reasons. As a Walkera distributor, you didn't design, engineer or produce the parts...........you just sell 'em but you're the guy the customer's gonna come after if he's not satisfied. If you sell or service Walkera products, your English language skills may not be the best either often adding more fuel to the fire. Now factor in the absolutely explosive growth we're seeing in this industry. The suppliers are introducing new helis and upgrades faster than the customers can evaluate existing models and what they just bought was the "latest 'n greatest" only yesterday.

I think these folks also realize that for every dissatisfied customer who threatens to "never again", there are ten more of us standing in line with a fistful of $100.00 bills like we're doin' a "day after Thanksgiving sale" at Wal-Mart. Criminy, we'll buy a little $300.00 RTF heli made of nothing but old sparklers, christmas tree ornaments, milk cartons and "cap gun" metal and then order a new CNC machine and jeweler's lathe so we can service the damn things and make our own parts. I'm sure that the suppliers, having perused this forum routinely, must have determined that practically speaking, there's almost no amount of money we won't spend t' remain airborne.

Maybe if nothing else works, remember one of Al Capone's lines..................."You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word"!"

Jeff_Barrett
09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
mike... you always know just exactly how to explain something. :thumbup:

I really hope to have the privelage of one day having the opportunity to meet and fly with you. Do you belong to any flying clubs down there or attend any funflys?

all-thumbs
09-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Listen wise ass....I even have it documented to wowhobbies where I bought them. I could care less if you don't believe me or not you mean nothing to me and your sarcasm. Go drink some more.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I was dead serious.

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers, Jabsten, and apologies to all the rest for disturbing your whine and cheese party.

I shouldn't have singled Jabsten out for his misfortune with the defective pitch sliders. Must have been very traumatic. In my defense, I may have incorrectly read between the lines when Canuck said: Wow. I can't ever imagine that happening ... no wonder you have the feelings you do about Walkera. That sure sounded like disbelief to me!

I've got a spare pitch slider which I just attempted to pull apart. The hub is press fit into the plastic yoke, but you can still pull it out a bit. The flare on the oposite side prevents it from coming all the way out. With a magnifier you can see that the ball bearings are enclosed in a cage. No amount of shaking or banging on the table would dislodge them. So, Jabsten's slider must have been from a real bad batch. But it only cost $3.50, dude! Get over it. Write it off and get another one. Sure it's frustrating when you're expecting a new part, so you can get back in the air, and it turns out to be a dud. There are worse catastrophes in life. Some of you are just too encouraging of this sort of drivel.

Get past the denial and anger stages, and accept that this is a cheap helicopter. You're not buying parts for a Rolex.

JossyRC
09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Read the tag line under the logo at the top of the page.

http://helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180659&stc=1&d=1284731785

mikey1
09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Howdy!

I'll send you a private post on the matter.

Mike

JossyRC
09-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Howdy!

I'll send you a private post on the matter.

Mike
Too bad, I thought what you had to say was poignant and could have been helpful.

Jeff_Barrett
09-17-2010, 04:57 PM

+1 ... whenever I start getting worked up on here, I quickly look to the top of the screen an read it.

To be honest, of all the areas in this forum the 4G6S group, to me, seem to be the friendliest, most helpful, and most innovative people around. I was made to feel comfortable from my very first post onwards. :thumbup:

mikey1
09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
+1 ... whenever I start getting worked up on here, I quickly look to the top of the screen an read it.

To be honest, of all the areas in this forum the 4G6S group, to me, seem to be the friendliest, most helpful, and most innovative people around. I was made to feel comfortable from my very first post onwards. :thumbup:

Yup! This is a great bunch isn't it? It's a "fun" forum. What I find most fun and interesting is swappin' stories with guys from all over the planet. Seems like RC helis are kinda like "music". Doesn't much matter who you are or where you're from, if you've an interest in RC helis, then you fit right in here! Well, almost everybody!

A lot of my relis reside in "Dances With Wolves" country and specifically "Hoven" South Dakota which isn't too far from the Oahe. Up until a few years ago, when one drove into Hoven from either end o' town, the first thing one saw was a sign saying simply:

"Welcome to Hoven..............a town of 700
friendly people............and one old grouch!"

Ain't it the truth!

JossyRC
09-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Speaking of road signs -

http://conniekaldorusa.com/Biggar_Sign.JPG

Ampdraw
09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Just fyi....
I never put a new slider on my 4g6 straight out of the pack. Nor the Gaui 200 for that matter but at least with the Gaui my checks are unneccessary.

It is known that the slider is poor. In no way am I aiming this at anyone...but the inner race of bearing is not secured to the tube properly, nor is the spinning end that connects to the links. Press them all together properly, appropriately place some ca and peen the inner tube prior to fitment and all is good.

Only parts I have ever whinged about were the bad mainshafts and feathering shafts that were crafted from cheese! :thumbup:
Those familiar with these would have easily been able to tell there was a vast difference in the material used and they were unsuitable for intended application.

One thing with many of the wk dealers...they aren't actually Walkera dealers per say...they are the third step in the chain. I do know both Rick (clubheli) and John (Rchobbyhelicopter) are which may explain their "first tier" parts...

Amp

JossyRC
09-17-2010, 09:10 PM
My stock slider separated the other day - I squeezed it back together while on the shaft with a pair of pliers and it has been fine since.

all-thumbs
09-18-2010, 02:37 AM

http://helifreak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=180659&stc=1&d=1284731785

Yeh, yeh. Mutual respect means that both parties have respect for one another. For example: you respect me, and in return I respect you back. But that doesn't require that we have to pander to one another. Just because I don't agree with your opinion, or sentiment, doesn't mean that I don't respect you. It certainly doesn't engender mutual respect when forum members start P.M.ing each other with regard to another forum member that they regard to be a threat or a nuisance.

At least Jabsten had the balls to call me a wise ass directly. I may have been a bit pissed off, but I think that I defended my position reasonably (under the circumstances).

What a bunch of cliquish schoolgirls. If we spent half as much time trying to fly the 4G6 as locked into this somewhat redundant forum, then we would all be better pilots. Sayonara?

JossyRC
09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
...disturbing your whine and cheese party.

...Must have been very traumatic. ...it only cost $3.50, dude!

...Get over it. ...There are worse catastrophes in life. Some of you are just too encouraging of this sort of drivel.

Yeh, yeh. Mutual respect means that both parties have respect for one another. For example: you respect me, and in return I respect you back. But that doesn't require that we have to pander to one another. Just because I don't agree with your opinion, or sentiment, doesn't mean that I don't respect you. It certainly doesn't engender mutual respect when forum members start P.M.ing each other with regard to another forum member that they regard to be a threat or a nuisance.

At least Jabsten had the balls to call me a wise ass directly. I may have been a bit pissed off, but I think that I defended my position reasonably (under the circumstances).

What a bunch of cliquish schoolgirls. If we spent half as much time trying to fly the 4G6 as locked into this somewhat redundant forum, then we would all be better pilots. Sayonara?

The hostility you get is not in relation to having a differing opinion, all-thumbs, it has to do with your generally offensive attitude to this sub-forum in general.

Your comments to us tell allot about who you are All-thumbs.

So just what happen to you a while back? You arrived here like anyone else - looking for help with a tail-twitch... after a while you turned sour. Wife leave you? Hit the bottle again? I'm not being facetious. I am serious when I ask the following question.

Are You Okay?

If so then I can only come to the following conclusion. Keep in mind it is JMHO.

Now if I remember correctly you where the guy that crapped on the act-of-kindness this forum showed to Timewerx. You appear to be aggravated by this communities willingness to be helpful to each other, to support and display enthusiasm....

A child who is cared for a tad too much by Mommy and Daddy eventually begins to resent their caregivers - they find support, friendliness, good intentions to be weak and vulnerable - soft and requiring disgust. The type of animal that eat their elderly and weak.

The fear of their own independence twists to anger and spite because on one hand they want to walk on their own - on the other they are afraid to do so because Mommy has always carried them.... I guess there is some shame to it as well.

I would wager to say that your internal dialogue with yourself; during those dark times when no one else is around to see, would be very similar to the words you spout to us here. "Buck up, pansy ass!" etc. Being able to point out the apparent weaknesses in others allows you a bit of respite from your own self-torture.

So I ask again - Are You Okay?

Your lurking around here shows that you have some interest here, I believe beyond just the heli... I think perhaps your disgust with the general good quality of people here is a veiled desired.... Is it that you recognise a safe place to expulse your inner, self-inflicted tensions? Are you looking for help? I know you probably figure it is just for your own entertainment. You can keep lying to yourself about that - in time the dam will break. Ask yourself - when it does - do you want to be surrounded by people that you have alienated with your piss-ant attitude?

Not to worry though - I truly believe that this bunch of guys are really special - and will be here for you with forgiveness when either your heli - or your life comes crashing down.

So be the piss-ant if you need be. I will simply ignore your antics until you are ready... How can I be angry at you? I see you as a broken individual - as broken-thumbs.

xs4reak
09-21-2010, 03:00 AM
This thread is called “Parts Failure Log”, isn’t it? ;)

Give it a rest guys and enjoy your life and your 4G6! :cheers