PDA

View Full Version : Wag & Drift

fvdriver
09-17-2010, 11:59 AM
just finished a crash rebuild. Tail boom, TT, TTgears, main gear, Blades, main shaft, landing gear, frame, control rods, etc.

first test flight the tail drifts to the right and has a slight wag to it. Changing Gyro gain % did not help. I was super critical on blade balance. Two bearings on TT drive shaft. The gyro is mounted on align gel-metal plate- thin foam, on a RC-tek boom block with a plastic tray. This all worked before the crash very well. My plan is to re set the gyro, recheck the main blade balance and rebind. Any other suggestions on what to check??

pril250
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Was the TT nice and straight and where on it did you mount the bearing. Is the tail shaft straight and non binding. The tail grip bearings are they ok.

Steve Evans
09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Did you disturb the wiring to do the repairs? Is the cable to the gyro at all taught? You can cause drift issues by having the cable too tight. I have my gyro mounted on a CF rx tray close to the rx so I can coil the lead thus:

http://www.helifreak.com/picture.php?albumid=5539&pictureid=43180

Steve

fvdriver
09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Just went thru all today and I regreased the tail grip thrust bearings and replaced one of the bearings for the grip holder shaft. On the TT I put one of the bearings in the stock position and the other about 2" in from the tail. I rechecked the main blades and OOPS they were out on both CG and balance.:arggg: I thought I had them right, but I guess not so that was probably the cause. I have not redone the gyro yet, but I will later tonight. I think the motor pinion lash may have been tight as my motor and ESC (Neu 1408/CC 100) came down almost as hot as the stock 500L. So I reset that, too. I guess I am going to have to make a checklist.

fvdriver
09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
thanks for the pics steve! My gyro wire is not tight, but not as much extra wire as yours. I will check flight tomorrow and I can change that at the field if I still have a problem.

pril250
09-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Just went thru all today and I regreased the tail grip thrust bearings and replaced one of the bearings for the grip holder shaft. On the TT I put one of the bearings in the stock position and the other about 2" in from the tail. I rechecked the main blades and OOPS they were out on both CG and balance.:arggg: I thought I had them right, but I guess not so that was probably the cause. I have not redone the gyro yet, but I will later tonight. I think the motor pinion lash may have been tight as my motor and ESC (Neu 1408/CC 100) came down almost as hot as the stock 500L. So I reset that, too. I guess I am going to have to make a checklist.

Good to hear you are making progress, tail problems could be so annoying at times, had my fair share:)

fvdriver
09-20-2010, 02:00 AM
It was really flying great with the quark....until I found my dumb thumbs. I thought I had lost them, but no such luck. :YeaBaby: