PDA

View Full Version : Is the 3G USB worth getting?

delta2001
09-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Is the 3G usb and software worth buying? Is it very beneficial over the manual setting? Thanks for any input.

mrich_30047
09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes, the GUI and software offer you the ability to fine tune your settings. None of the Rudder, Bell Hiller setting are acessable without it.

Install the Y harness permanently on your heli.

akamullen
09-19-2010, 08:39 PM
YES. Buy the usb link, You will be glad you did... Especially when new firmware updates comre out...

phobix
09-20-2010, 07:21 AM
In my case, Without the USB interface I wouldn't have been able to get my machine running properly, I highly recommend it!

delta2001
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the comments. I ordered one this morning.

Jskrapper
09-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Just be careful if you permanantley install the "Y" cable. It seems to me that the connectors have less clamping than the stock wiring harness. I had one shake out of the control unit upon liftoff causing a mild tail grind upon an instant piro. I am sure it would have been 100% avoidable had I just been more careful with placment.

ecupro
09-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Hi,
Please get one for yourself or you groups.
You can modify the parameters like roll rate and so on...
You can monitor the FBL controller ( on stand but NOT Fly )

Bye.

markleyland
09-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Might buy one soon just to have a play but no real need as i'm happy having made small adjustments out of the box.

CF_Machete
09-21-2010, 10:54 PM
definitely get one. the align tx an button pushing is out dated in and in sufficient for a decent setup. the only problem with the usb interface is that you cannot fuly program your 3g through your pc and will have a few ridiculous button and blink steps. Honestly if my friend did not lend a hand in the programing, I'd have sold it long ago.

I'm not a newbie to fbl, but out of all the fble gyro's I've used, gu-365, gyrobot 700 & 900, skookum 360 & 720...the 3g's setup is by far the poorest conceived. Its analogus to using a tx to program your bec...when other bec's have card and/ or a pc interface.

Hopefully Align will get on the ball and release a firmware upgrade that is completely pc programmable and perhaps do the same thing for there esc's as well.

not trying to flame align or those who enjoy the programing lights and sounds show, but a "click yes" box is far easier and nearly impossible to screw up.

RyuuChi
09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
LOL, it wasn't as bad as he says, but Alpha has a good point that it really should all be done on the computer once you get the USB interface going.

HiroboFreak
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
not trying to flame align or those who enjoy the programing lights and sounds show, but a "click yes" box is far easier and nearly impossible to screw up.

Keep in mind that the 3G can be setup & configured without the use of a PC, & it flies reasonably well on default settings. Further tweaking can be done via the USB interface but it certainly isn't a requirement.
It's a Plug 'n' Play system with further options available to those who want them.

Many of us (myself included) were flying 3G V1 Plug 'n' Play with great success.

Too many editable parameters can be very confusing & have an adverse effects if you don't know what you are doing.
A good feature of the 3G is you can have the setup & configuration process as simple or as complex as you wish. It's up to the individual.

The "programming lights and sounds show" is very simple indeed.
If you find that confusing, steer well clear of the USB interface! ;)

CF_Machete
09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
The "programming lights and sounds show" is very simple indeed.
If you find that confusing, steer well clear of the USB interface! ;)
perhaps I was was just raised with modern computers. programing the 3g even with the usb is still flat out irritating. why is it so hard to make a decent/complete usb interface? yes you can program the gyro with out one, but you can also program some outdated computers with punch cards. check out a usb interface like Castle Creations uses for there ESC's, Then tell me you would rather go back to the old school "two beeps at mid stick means this" BS.

Clicking the "yes or no" box is always easier than reading a blinking light code off of your manual.