PDA

View Full Version : How-To: Piro Flips with Video

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RĒzĒ
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
One absolute prerequisite I should mention before you start any of this is you should already be very comfortable with inverted hovering. If you can't invert hover without making mistakes in all orientations keep working on that and come back to this later.

Ec1Ii43VAZ4

Start with half flips. Start learning a half flip by doing the elevator and rudder movements seperately at first.

Start upright tail in.
Give a little positive pitch to keep the heli from falling
Push forward until the nose is pointing straight down.
Stop pushing forward then give left rudder until the tail is straight down.
Pull back on the stick to level out. You will be inverted with the tail facing you.
Stop there and regain control if you are a little off.

Keep doing this until you are comfortable. Gradually work the sticks in unison to smooth it out into a single roll/flip. Ultimately you want to start by pushing forward and giving left rudder at the same time. Then you should roll the cyclic stick clockwise until it gets to the 6 o'clock position. Timed right you will get a smooth roll and end with the heli inverted tail in.

Once tail in inverted you pull back on the stick and continue to give left rudder (same rudder all the time). You will roll the cyclic stick smoothly clockwise from the 6 o'clock position back to the 12 o'clock position. Again this should end up being a continuous smooth roll. You will end up where you started upright and tail in.

Practice each half slowly and eventually you can start to put them together to do a full half piro flip.

Full Piro Flips

You should be completely comfortable and dead on with half piros before considering upgrading to full piros. You should also be proficient in flips and rolls that end with the heli nose in inverted. I.E. practice nose in rolls and flips making sure you can stop halfway while still in control...

Start upright tail in again.
This time you will apply forward cyclic and left rudder again but you will need to give more left then with a half flip because you want a full piro rotation.
Stir the cyclic clockwise as before, but this time follow the tail completely around and stir in a complete circle. It's important to always stir with the speed of the tail. Watch the tail go around and move the stick around as it moves. It's a timing thing and the more you do it the sooner it will "click"
If timed right and all goes well you will end up inverted nose in.
Make sure to pause here and regain control before trying to flip back out.
When starting out just reset and start over at this point. Keep repeating this until you can get the heli to stop and correctly be at the inverted nose in position. Without being able to do this properly you will never get a clean piro flip.
The beauty here is you just do the exact same movements to get back to upright tail in again. Repeat this as many times as it takes to start to get this to look and feel right. This part was always easier for me because you end up upright again which was easier for me to regain full control of in case I'm a little off on the timing.

The important thing here is to stop at each half when you are learning. Do not try to do full flips when you are starting out. They will be very sloppy at best and you won't know why. Also doing one half at a time will make learning the timing of the stir with the tail much much easier. Work on each half slowly and dont start going again until you are back in control and the heli is centered and back in front of you if you drifted away. When you are ready you can start to link the two halfs together to become a seamless full flip.

As always if you are new to this stuff definately only try this on a sim until you get a good idea of what you are doing. You are nearly guaranteed to crash doing this stuff.

Anyways thats how I've been learning and I've only needed a little over a month to get this mostly down. So I hope this is useful for some people that are looking to learn.

D Grade
10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Thank you as always for this stuff, it really helps. This is my next step in learning and Im looking forward to learning the piro flip. This will no doubly help! :noteworthy

Lottomunch
10-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I have wanted to try this for years and have struggled with zero success. I watched people do it and I knew it wasn't THAT hard but I couldn't even figure out how to start the manuever.

I am stoked that after 20 min of following your directions I have pulled off ugly half piro flips on the sim. I'm still a long way out from being able to do them pretty on a real heli but I've got a direction now. Just need to invest the sim time.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you.

:)

400driver
10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
superb, best training video I have seen so far.
Many Thanks

helinovice
10-13-2010, 11:10 PM
HI Raza,

In thanks for these wonderful tutorials, is it at all possible to show mode 1 Tx on sim please.

In appreciation,

Vaughan

RĒzĒ
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Here's a short vid a while back that shows most of the moves in mode 1.

MzBEsmfmnXY

helinovice
10-14-2010, 02:01 AM
OUTSTANDING!

Very Much Appreciated mate,

You have given hope to me now,

Cheers,

Vaughan

Hmateen98
10-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Wow! This is the first time I've seen the maneuver broken down into segments. :lol::lol:
With this kind of detailed instructions, it will be easier to understand and pratice the movement.

Great Job:lolol:lolol
Keep the invalueable videos coming.
Hassan M

s0laris
10-14-2010, 02:11 PM
The way i learned them is radically different and may work for you.

Learn to do a piro loop in any direction..

Start to make the loops smaller and smaller.

eventually you are looping it around one "line" and voila the piro flip is born. But this one will look different as the blade plane is going in one direction all the time.

If you can do this one then other variations just come with more practice.

$teve
10-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Great Video, I was doing half piro flips and didn't even know it, while transitioning from upright to inverted. You've help me put it all together now. Thanks! It seems so simple now.

How are you recording that? Setting up a camera in front of your monitor?

Keep up the great work.

RĒzĒ
10-15-2010, 08:06 PM
i use a program called "fraps" it records the computer screen real time

Spindle
10-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Raza excellent videos :noteworthy This forum and finless's videos r the best here on HF :YeaBaby:

Ubi22
11-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi there (1st post, go me :) )

Just been reading and practicing advice on this post and came across some think that really helped and maybe will help others and that is the sim speed, on Phoenix it can be slowed down with the - key, this aloud me to practice at a speed my skill level could handle and as i improved then speed it up with + key. Seem to work for me to get me started although still along way to go !

Great Video very helpful !

RĒzĒ
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Video demonstration. Fernando was nice enough to capture this on video. This is me flying my Logo 600 3D explaining piro flips.

4Ur5c3qtYfM

Finless
03-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Video demonstration. Fernando was nice enough to capture this on video. This is me flying my Logo 600 3D explaining piro flips.

4Ur5c3qtYfM

Nice teaching job RaZa!

Bob

RĒzĒ
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Thank you

kouasupra
03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
+1

I would have to agree with Bob. It's nice to see you actually demonstrating in real life. I like that so much more better then the sim. Much thanks Raza!!:thumbup::thumbup:

CHIEF-X
03-28-2011, 12:24 AM
we need a extra spot on the main page for this kinda stuff so all can get good use of it. its really hard to find videos like this! does anyone else agree!

IrvingWashington
04-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Had to reply just to say thank you very much for this vids RaZa! :)

RĒzĒ
04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
:thumbup:

CHIEF-X
04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
if its not too much trouble for u u should do this for all the moves u know and put together a how to video raza!!! i think u would do quite well :noteworthy

isogloss3d
05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi RaZa,

Thanks for the wonderful explanations and videos! I pulled off my first mobius loops today at the flying field after watching your vid on Piro flips and many hours of Sim practice. Even if I never graduate to full piro flips, knowing these divided, half-piro flip transitions has added a great deal to my aerobatic flying skills. I only hope that someday I can make such helpful contributions to the Helifreak community.

-Eric

RĒzĒ
05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey Eric,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad it's helped. :thumbup:

nasruled
08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
nice video with a good intruction.

do you a have a link to download the video?

tq

deca
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Happy to report that I've made leaps and bounds on half piro flips and finally started doing them in real life! I actually did my first with the mcpx, that made me a lot more confident about trying it with the 500 :) I need to work on cleaning them up and getting more consistent still, but a few times now I've shocked myself with completely dialed half piro flips with no hesitation between upright and inverted. This video definitely helped me out, thank you for making it available.

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to work up to full piro flips...I'm sure something will eventually click like it did for the half flips but for some reason I just can't find the right stir speed to get a full piro per half flip. It should be as easy as going twice as fast with half the radius right?