PDA

View Full Version : normal mode vs idle modes

velocity90
10-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Hello,

Since I tried idle up modes on my trex450 I never use the normal modes. Is there an advantage to use the normal modes?

I think the heli flys a little less precise when not using a constant headspeed, and it reacts slow to my stick input. Also with an constant headspeed I find my heli more stable, thus also easier to hover.

Are there more people who don't use normal mode and just spin up in idleup? I currently have my normal mode set so that piont 1 to 2 jumps from 0 to 80% throttle and then 80% to point 5.

al_voisine
10-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Normal, Idle1 and Idle2 are whatever you want them to be; no majic there. Many people only use one mode. What you are doing works just fine.

AL

freewheel510
10-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Hello,

Since I tried idle up modes on my trex450 I never use the normal modes. Is there an advantage to use the normal modes?

Are there more people who don't use normal mode and just spin up in idleup?

I currently have my normal mode set so that piont 1 to 2 jumps from 0 to 80% throttle and then 80% to point 5.

No, no real advantage to using *normal* mode. I think the name is a holdover; for example when I was first buying cars, they were available in "standard" or "automatic". It's funny now to think of a manual transmission as "standard". I like to take off in normal mode, then switch to Idle 1 just after takeoff, but it's personal preference.

Yes, I know a lot of people who start the heli by switching off TH in Idle up. There is a HUGE advantage to this; if you only ever fly in Idle up, you will NEVER go inverted in normal mode, which I'm told can be expensive:arggg:.

I have point 3 set at 70% and point 5 at 100%. When climbing out, I can switch to flat 85% (Idle 1) with only slight change of headspeed. As al_ said, it's personal preference.

chris6414
10-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I use normal to start gently then when I get to 25% I hit Idle 1. Which for me is modified Normal. It gives me a very scale start-up. I use it to maintain HS in agressive descents without the need for a governer and keep the HS manageble. Purely scale type flying.

Innovine
10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
One mild 'advantage' for normal mode is that if you crash, it's debatably easier to slam down the collective than hit the TH switch :) I'm starting to use Idle Up more and more, and have yet to crash and am afraid I'm not going to reach the switch before I reach the ground.

PacRim0311
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
I just make it part of the routine. I want to learn good habits while I am developing my skills and muscle memory.