PDA

View Full Version : Gaui EP-100

Pages : [1] 2

Jeff_Barrett
10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/rc-helicopters/almost-ready-to-fly/gaui-ep100-mini-zoom-se-proo-moto-esc

Check it out! Looks like they're still out there afterall! :YeaBaby:

The only problem I have with this, is that Gaui parts are hard to come by in North America. Walkera / HeliMax has way better distribution.

xs4reak
10-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Spares are everything ;)

lazor 22
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I've known about this for awhile before I bought my 4G6, and honestly the gaui is better quality but I can upgrade the motor,esc, make it fbl, and spektrumize it for cheaper then a gaui 100. ESP. With the hobbyking deal I got.

Jeff_Barrett
10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Like I said ... my biggest problem is parts availability.

Ampdraw
10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Had one...disk loading is too high for decent performance...hence Gaui stretched it to 200.

It spins almost the same dia as the 4g6 but weighs in at 200g with a careful build.

Better off with a nice 4g6 imo.

Amp

Jeff_Barrett
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
No kidding? Heard great things about the EP-255.

It looks much bulkier than the 4G6.

Ampdraw
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Yep Gaui make great helis, this was one of their first though.

255 is a weapon
200 is awesome
100 needs more

The 100 is far larger than a 4g6 in bulk. Canopy is closer to a 200 size as is the whole body. The rotor height would be between 1.5-2 times the height of the 4g6

Frame is not too rigid either. I had the plastic "logo" style frame. In this vid you can hear the rotor head come out of balance through a roll as the frame flexes! This ran 2s 4800KV and 16T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BiIpzBTF0Y&feature=related

Amp

mikey1
10-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Amp,

In your estimation, does the 100 PRO fall into the same category.............too heavy and / or underpowered? I watched your vid. The Gaui seems easier to "see" than a 4G6 which is an important consideration for old eyeballs. I dunno just "why" this thought occurred t' me but watching you fly out in the middle of that Sydney field had me wondering about accidently tredding on one of those "funnel webs", brown snakes or Taipans Steve Irwin "loved" so much. Damn the Cane Toads..............full speed ahead!

Mike

mikey1
10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Like I said ... my biggest problem is parts availability.

Hey Jeff!

Look in the Gaui 200 thread and scroll down the page 'til you come to my "Gaui parts support" post. A number of guys responded with links to good Gaui parts vendors. I haven't looked at any of 'em myself yet but since I'm considering the 100 "PRO", I'll be perusing these links shortly. I'd post 'em here myself but my brain's still linked to "mimeograph" machines and "Butch Wax". By the time I actually figure out how t' do all this computer crap, the rest of you guys'll be puttin' stuff in orbit and I'll be concentrating on my "obit".

Mike

Ampdraw
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Yep, dangerous animals everywhere but the cute ones, like the kangaroo, are nice to ride to work. :P

If you see a funnel web here in Aus, best thing to do is pick it up on a leaf and bite it's head off. They hate that!

Re the 100Pro, yep imo same, same except the frame is stiffer but still not stiff enough for proper 3d if you plan on doing so. If I were building a 100 I would use the Firefox FG frame as it is smaller than the Gaui 200V1 frame but strong and light with good cnc parts where required.

Other way to go is shrink a 200. Boom, belt, blades and you have a 100 however they fly so much better in 200 size.

By the way apparently (I read elsewhere) BP hobbies is having closeout sale on 100 stuff.

Amp

Jeff_Barrett
10-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Look in the Gaui 200 thread and scroll down the page 'til you come to my "Gaui parts support" post. A number of guys responded with links to good Gaui parts vendors. I haven't looked at any of 'em myself yet but since I'm considering the 100 "PRO", I'll be perusing these links shortly. I'd post 'em here myself but my brain's still linked to "mimeograph" machines and "Butch Wax". By the time I actually figure out how t' do all this computer crap, the rest of you guys'll be puttin' stuff in orbit and I'll be concentrating on my "obit".

I'll have to check that out. I haven't even finished my Compass Atom 500 yet, and I'm already thinking about my next move. Yeesh! I'm definitely an addict!!

I'll likely get my next bird this time next year. I'm looking hard at a Gaui EP-255. I'm also looking even harder at a Compass 6HV - these things rip holes in the space-time continuum according to the boys over in the Compass forums. :YeaBaby:

lazor 22
10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Your not a true addict till you start BUYING your next heli before the build is over..... building the 450, bought a 250, building the 250 bought a 4G6. Since I don't have to "build" the 4G6, I'm sure I'll be doing something like re-building all my helis when I buy the Gaui X5.

mikey1
10-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Your not a true addict till you start BUYING your next heli before the build is over..... building the 450, bought a 250, building the 250 bought a 4G6. Since I don't have to "build" the 4G6, I'm sure I'll be doing something like re-building all my helis when I buy the Gaui X5.

Do you guys ever just "look at" your helis? Even though I've only an Esky K3, the 4G6 and my CB100, periodically, I take the helis and their corresponding radios, line 'em all up on the counter top according t' size, step back and just "look" at 'em. When I was younger and a whole lot more anal than I am currently (personal opinion), I used t' do that with my bikes. Back the car outa the garage, turn on the floodlight and just "look" at it. Wander around, look at it from all angles and dare myself t' stay away from the can of chrome polish. Boys 'n their toys!

lazor 22
10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Truth be told, I hardly fly any of my helis LOL. Only one that is panning out to get the stick time is the 4G6 cause I can get home and throw it through 3 packs, charge them back up (it's dark by this time :( ) and have them ready for the next day. All the others have to wait till the weekend. And yes, I always am lining up my helis and just looking at them. Whenever I watch TV I usually have a heli in my hand admiring it. IMO the looks are half the fun.

Mojappa
10-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I have tk say I'm guilty of just looking at my toys, at least until I looked the new off of it. I would set my crawler up articulating on the side of the TV, I've set my helis out along the top of my TV (not flatscreen, obviously) so they're in my peripheral(sp) vision when I'm not looking at 'em, the micros help make this more doable, and back when I got my downhill bike I used to keep it in the living room and would just sit and admire it for a few minutes. You really have to take the time to take in the beauty in things.

Jeff_Barrett
10-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Yup. I do line 'em up and stare at 'em from time to time.

Either that ... or I start getting anal and fixing things that don't really need to be fixed. LOL!

timewerx
10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Your not a true addict till you start BUYING your next heli before the build is over.....

Some poor local guy robbed a hobby store for heli parts, didn't take anything else!

I don't know if that story was posted here.

While I was never a 'buying' addict(even if I used to have the money to burn), but sure am a flying addict! There was a time, 50% of my waking hours was spent either flying outside my apartment, bedroom, or the sim! 90% of the time, the LiPos are either plugged into the heli or the chargers :D

That was the time the company I used to work for gave me a forced leave for one month because they can't find any projects for me to work on. Being single and no one to take care of, you get the idea!:thumbup:

lazor 22
10-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Yea I bet that was the life! Was that leave paid? And I'm not really a buying addict or a flying addict, I'm just a heli addict. The bills are Hugh, but not because I buy alot, just cause what I buy cost alot. And like j said u never have time to fly anything other then the 4G6. So I usally sim, but the aim gets boring after a while, so then I go admire my helis lol. When I'm not at my house or flying, 75% of the thoughts in my min are about helis. I'm always checking the weather and looking at fields thinking about what the obstacles would be and if it would be worthy. And if I'm not doing that, I'm usally air flying lol. And yes, if I see a real heli I hold my air transmitter and fly it....

JossyRC
10-13-2010, 12:48 AM
"You know you an addict when..."

I'm the same way Lazor - when there isn't something present and demanding my attention then my mind wanders over to the heli's... got my hand slapped (or head) the other day.

I was sitting on our balcony with my wife when I looked up and saw an EC-135 and EC130 flying over head, in formation. What caught my attention was how quiet they were.... crusing along at around 2000 ft all you could hear was the engine hum and a very faint blade flap... in fact a passing car was louder...

...well I "shushed" my wife, not realizing what I was doing...

She says "What?!".

My reply, like a twelve year old, "Did you HEAR that?"

She says again (me not catching her real meaning) 'WHAT?!?!"....

"Look they're so quiet! I bet those are BURP blades!" :Fan

She glances up to see what I was talking about, gives me a sharp smack on the back of the head, walks inside and locks me on the balcony...

Of course; I still dreaming of European Helicopters and Burp blades, never noticed the lock doors until she came out to remind me that my family is more important then helicopters and what will happen in my sleep if I don't smart'n up...:o

(As for looking at my helis - They're all, at the moment, in a glass china cabinet all to themselves:thumbup:)

lazor 22
10-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Women just don't get it...... Lol

there are really only 3 things I need in this world to live... Rollercoasters, helis, and tacobell!!!

JossyRC
10-13-2010, 01:01 AM
LOL - don't forget Doritos!

lazor 22
10-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Mhhhmmm...... Yes doritos are good. esp. The blue pack.

timewerx
10-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Yea I bet that was the life! Was that leave paid?

Yes it was! And that was in Hong Kong - imagine Hobby King at your neighborhood and getting your parts personally, no shipping, no waiting, and with further discounts! Other shops offer other brands so all brands could be had cheaply and easily in Hong kong. The place is definitely not for the buying addict or you'll go poor in no time!

Was the best month of flying helis in my life!:thumbup: That's one thing I'd miss much in Hong Kong. The place is also great for DIY'ers, they got plenty of open, nearby shops for all your DIY'ing needs!

Intact
10-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I almost got a gaui 100 instead of the 4g6s.. Couldnt find a gaui around here tho.

@jossy Ec-130s are really sexy... All i see in the sky here are mostly R-22s and R-44s. The Robinson heli company is about 10 mins away so theres lots of helis flown here..

@Timewerx hobbyking as a LHS is a dream! I've been to HK before.. its too crowded and busy..? How do you find everything and navigate around, google maps? You sound pro at adapting to diff locations, any tips on figuring out how to navigate new places? I wanna travel soon!

timewerx
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
@Timewerx hobbyking as a LHS is a dream! I've been to HK before.. its too crowded and busy..? How do you find everything and navigate around, google maps? You sound pro at adapting to diff locations, any tips on figuring out how to navigate new places? I wanna travel soon!

Not really a pro, I was working there for 4 months!

You're right, I use google maps before I go anywhere until I've memorized a certain location. I even try to memorize the textured google map.

But what's really nice is google maps show train exits in Hong Kong's MTR train system:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map.html

If you think Hong Kong is a dream, wait til you hear about China, I've heard, some helis there are being sold at open stores at half their online price!

The only other country I've been to is USA. Getting lost there is only possible if you don't have address of your apartment, destination, and if you didn't ask for a GPS unit in your rental car! :D
:shock: