PDA

View Full Version : TotalG vs Gyrobot900

Pages : [1] 2

dskazan
10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I am looking to purchase a fbl system. I am in between to choose between Gyrobot and TotalG. Any advice on which one and why?:confused:

popokatepetl
10-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Buy Total G for sure :thumbup:

dskazan
10-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I've heard that the Gyrobot has a unique feature, that measures the center of earth gravity, and this is why is expensive. So why you propose solid G?

seemore74
10-13-2010, 04:18 AM
dskazan, in making your decission, don't go by the "total g vs gyrobot" thing you will only get a million and one arguments from who likes one unit & who likes the other unit. Like me i've rcently gone FBL and i've been looking for the right one for a while now, I checked out the total g, vbars, skookums, align 3g, gyrobots ect. and ende up buying the microbeast which i now find works great for me.
What you should do is read up on them read online manuals, various posts on here from people using each one, watch videos on setups & flights, just sit back and take in as much on these units as you can, ask questions on ease of setup, how it flies ect but try to avoid this unit versus that unit questions.
That's how i did it & i ended up with unit i did'nt even have on my list in the first place & it's working great on my heli. Good luck with whatever you choose :thumbup:

dskazan
10-16-2010, 01:57 AM
seemore74 Thank you for your reply.
I've already checked and it seems a good deal. Thanks.

dskazan
10-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Anyone Any Other Suggestions?:roll:

rjg
10-16-2010, 08:25 PM
At our field we have people who fly the TotalG, MiniV, FullV, and Microbeast (my choice). They all seem to do a good job and can be tuned to the needs of the pilot.

Where they seem to differ is features, for example an integrated governor, sat support, etc.

I do enjoy the fact that I do not need a PC or any other external device to configure and tune the Microbeast.

seemore74
10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I do enjoy the fact that I do not need a PC or any other external device to configure and tune the Microbeast.

Same here the very reason i chose the Beast.

dskazan
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM
tt

TomC
10-20-2010, 10:57 PM
I am looking to purchase a fbl system. I am in between to choose between Gyrobot and TotalG. Any advice on which one and why?:confused:

You mentioned the Gyrobot 900 in your thread title. This is a bit different from the Total G in that it has a stablisation feature. Most other FLB systems do not have this feature. That is one reason it's quite a bit more expensive.

If you after a FBL system without stablisation, then the Gyrobot 700 would be a better comparison, and would be worth considering (and it's a lot cheaper than the 900).

I have 2 FBL systems right now, both with stablisation. A gyrobot 900 on a 10s-4000 fbl Trex600e and a Helicommand-Rigid on a 10s-5000 fbl Ion-x.

There are always pros/cons with any system.

The Gyrobot 900 is a little easier to setup and with a cockpit module, you can easily fine-tune it at the field. The internal tail gyro is excellent. Unfortunately you can not switch it from standard (3D) mode to stablisation (beginner modes, 2 of them) so you cannot use this as a bail-out system. There might be a software upgrade to address this in the future, but I would not bet on this happening soon.

The HC-rigid is a little harder to setup and requires you to take a laptop to the field to fine-tune it (or lots of trips back to your home PC). The internal tail gyro is crap imho so you need to use an external tail gyro. Something simple like the Fut 401 works great because without the flybar the torque effects are a lot less. The good thing about this system is that, as long as you fly slowly/smoothly (no more than 200 deg/sec changes on cyclics, 400 deg/sec on tail) you can safely switch between stablisation on/off modes (bail-out switch). I have found that this feature has been very useful and has saved me many times (at least 10 that I can remember).

I can honestly say that in the last 3.5 years I have never crashed any heli that I had the HC-rigid installed on. Also, I have to be honest and say that I only fly sport/very light 3D.

I have been keeping an eye out on the SK720 system but it appears that the software still need to be upgraded before it's bail-out feature works properly. When it does, I'll seriously look at trying one out.

Anyway, this info is really about fbl systems with stablisation. If you don't want or need this feature, there are lots of other ones out there worth considering, like others have already mentioned.

In any case, I think it's a good idea to go out and see what your local heli guys are using. They will be able to show you the pro/cons from their prospective and you'll also be able to get some help when you go to setup yours.

Cheers,
TomC

dskazan
10-21-2010, 03:31 AM
TomC thank you for your quote!:lol:

flerpie
10-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I've heard that the Gyrobot has a unique feature, that measures the center of earth gravity, and this is why is expensive. So why you propose solid G?

I have a Gbot900 and have not seen anything about it
measuring the "center of earth gravity". But then the manual
is translated from german I think.

Please post a link to that information if you have it.
Thx.

B-52
11-02-2010, 02:55 AM
You can try FBL600.

B-52
11-02-2010, 03:14 AM
FBL600.

mahbouni
11-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a Gyrobot 900, a Total-G and a Mini Vbar 5 Pro. This is what I can say about each:

Gyrobot 700/900: The self levelling feature of the 900 has issues with the tail, which for some reason slows down to a rediculously slow piro rate. Imo the 900 is not worth the extra money over the 700. Other than that it performs flawlessly. I now have it in my Logo 600 SE and I have no intention of taking it out. The Gyrobot has has accelerometers, which make it track like it's on rails. In my Logo 600 SE I can fly a straight line with a 20mph cross wind, take my hand off the sticks and it will fly past without drifting anywhere. If I do a big loop I need only elevator. It will come out of the loop almost exactly where it entered with no aileron correction. For FAI or precision flying I think this one is superb. My only gripe is it doesn't support Spektrum satellites like the Total-G and MiniV.

Total-G: I have this in my Rave 450. It was a complete doddle to set up with no issues. I just started with the recommended settings and flew. In fact it flew so good that I just started doing 3D on the first flight. By the third flight it felt really locked in and inspired confidence. The only issue I have with it is there seems to be a slight lag from when I input stick movement to the time the heli reacts. I think it might be the speed of the HS-5065MG servos because I have the same issue with the Mini Vbar 5 Pro in my 450 Pro, which has the same servos.

Mini Vbar 5 Pro: I have this in my 450 Pro. It was not as easy to set up and I crashed the heli on the first 2 flights due to misunderstanding the instructions. In the end I got a friend to set it up for me and it seems to perform similar to the Total-G. It's early days to to make a final judgement but it seems to have the same lag. I think the tail holds better on my Rave with the Total-G. However they are two different helis and I've not finished tweaking this one yet, so this is just my initial observation and not a statement of which is better.

the collective
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM

I fly a MicroBeast and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I've worked with VBar and had no issues with it either, but the setup was a bit more complicated than the Beast. I'd be able to recommend either based on personal experience.

By the way, there's no need to measure the earth's center of gravity... it is right in the middle.

mediclavina
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
The two are designed for different purposes. The Total G is for FBL stabilization, while the Gyrobot is more like autopilot system.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

mahbouni
11-11-2010, 01:14 PM
the Gyrobot is more like autopilot system.Not correct. The Gyrobot 700 doesn't even have self levelling. The 900 has it but it's first and formost a FBL stabilization system.

dskazan
11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a Gbot900 and have not seen anything about it
measuring the "center of earth gravity". But then the manual
is translated from german I think.

Please post a link to that information if you have it.
Thx.

I asked my friend again who told me about that " center of earth gravity" and he told me that : The Gyrobot has has accelerometers, which make it track like it's on rails. So I was wrong on that.:roll:

OnTheSnap
11-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Accelerometers are not used for flight control, just self leveling.

If you want self leveling go with a Skookum. It keeps improving with every firmware release and Skookum has great support.

frodgs
12-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Accelerometers are not used for flight control, just self leveling.

If you want self leveling go with a Skookum. It keeps improving with every firmware release and Skookum has great support.

Hi. Actually they are used together with the gyros in a sensor fusion algorithm such as an Extended Kalman Filter or Unscented Kalman Filter, which really improves the results - it's an advantage of using more sensors. Nevertheless, I agree that the Skookum SK-720 is really a good choice (it for sure uses such algorithms) with great support. Besides, they plan to use a GPS to make an IMU/GPS-based localization system, which makes it possible to implement an auto-hover feature. Best regards,

Flávio Rodrigues

F1 Rocket
12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Check out the new HC3-SX from HeliCommand. The self-leveling features work very well. http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13791

Danny

TomC
12-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Check out the new HC3-SX from HeliCommand. The self-leveling features work very well. http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13791

Danny

Hi Danny,

These units look very good. My Helicommand-Rigid (which I bought from you) has worked well for the last 3.5 years. The auto-leveling works well but you cannot recover from a hard 3D move (max 200deg/s) like it looks this new one can.

My Gyrobot 900 (which I also bought form you over a year ago) as an auto-leveler sucks since you cannot switch it between standard/beginner modes during flight. These guys were supposed to come out with a software fix a long time ago to address this. I have sent them a number of E-mails but I have not heard anything back from them. As a dealer, could you please see what you can find out about this? Thanks Danny.

Best cheers,
TomC

mahbouni
12-13-2010, 05:54 PM
My Gyrobot 900 (which I also bought form you over a year ago) as an auto-leveler sucks since you cannot switch it between standard/beginner modes during flight. These guys were supposed to come out with a software fix a long time ago to address this. I have sent them a number of E-mails but I have not heard anything back from them. As a dealer, could you please see what you can find out about this? Thanks Danny.+1. I'd like to know when they're going to release new s/w

F1 Rocket
12-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Danny,

My Gyrobot 900 (which I also bought form you over a year ago) as an auto-leveler sucks since you cannot switch it between standard/beginner modes during flight. These guys were supposed to come out with a software fix a long time ago to address this. I have sent them a number of E-mails but I have not heard anything back from them. As a dealer, could you please see what you can find out about this? Thanks Danny.

Best cheers,
TomC

Hi Tom,

I asked Lutz about an updated for the GB 900 in the past and I never did get a real answer. I believe he has been working on the GB 900 Wing for fixed wing aircraft.

The HC3-SX is the real deal. It is one of the best FBL systems available and the new extended self-leveling modes work amazingly well. There are 5 options to choose from. You can turn them off and on from the TX and they permit unrestricted 3D flight. The new “Acro with Pitch” mode will self level either upright or inverted and add the correct collective pitch to make the machine climb. Check out the thread on RR in the flybarless section.

Danny