PDA

View Full Version : CC ICE50 on 450 Sport -- Worth it???

Pages : [1] 2

crpearson
10-20-2010, 07:03 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the stock Align ESC that came with my 450 Sport with a CC ICE50. I'm interested in the logging capabilities as well as governor. I'm more or less happy with the stock motor, so I really don't want to change that out for now. Based on your experience, is this ESC so much better than the stock Align as to warrant the $90 it costs?

Thanks

RotorSideUp
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I did the same for me it
Was worth it. I run the gov. Mode with it and it flys great. But I am a geek and dig the logging feature too.

johnsma22
10-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Based on your experience, is this ESC so much better than the stock Align as to warrant the $90 it costs?

Thanks

Short answer? Yes!!! I'm running the Ice Lite 50 in my 450 Pro and couldn't be more pleased with it!

Magenta
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm in the process of trying one also. Looking forward to exploring the governor and data logging features.

Better than the Align?? On what criteria?? And is that worth $90 to you??

For me yes. YMMV

flerpie
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
5Amp switching BEC....and the ability to go to 4S to 6S.
I like that. I think it's worth it.

crpearson
10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds like the answer is a resounding "yes". I'm going to order one up.

-Sent from my Cray-2 supercomputer using Tapatalk

newflyguy1
10-21-2010, 06:03 AM
i also have been runnung the ice lite 50 on my 450 se v2(with pro power plant) and love the gov mode and just the fact that i get to plug it right into my laptop, pretty cool:YeaBaby:

anyhoo thats not my point here, we can all agree its great for the 450 but since i recently got my first 500(HC500 SE) i didn't have any other esc bigger than an align 35 and i just had to get my new 500 in the air so i threw the ice lite 50 on it. well it worked great for 1min 13secomds before it shutdown due to extreme overtemperature. i got three 1min flights out of it and then started this thread:http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=242111
as you will see it just wasn't enough power to pull it off:thumbdown:
now for the real point, if you are going to buy an ice or lite why not go for the 75? it will work great on the 450 with tons of power to spare plus probly run long flight times and never really get too hot since it's not having to work too hard and of coarse the obvious.......if or when you decide to upgrade to a larger heli you it will have the capability to handle the larger birds and power systems:clappp you can always pick up a 35a to throw back into the 450. once you pull the trigger on the pricey CC ice 50 take a look at the price difference to go for the 75 or 100. think longer term, big picture;)
I WISH I HAD

my 2 cents

Halfdevil333
10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Sorry I don't wish to rub salt on your already deep cut ^ but Trex 500 comes with 60A ESC. So using 50A ESC does not make sense to me or am I missing here something???

Cheers :cheers

BaconRaygun
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Very worth it IMO... Honestly, I have been doing the RC thing for 13 years with about 12.5 of those in electric and nitro RC cars. Considering the fact that I have spent $150+ on ESC's that have no logging or PC link features I would have to say the $90 shipped you pay for an ice 50 (or ice lite 50) is more then worth it! I would have paid $150 for this ESC without hesitation if thatís what they charged for it... So yes, very much worth it in my eyes.

Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Starcruiser
10-21-2010, 09:43 AM
ICE 50's on both of my 450's

Phoenix 25 on my 250

and probably a ICE 100 on my 550 later.

crpearson
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I actually had thought of getting a larger ICE, but the prospects for me flying anything bigger than a 450 are somewhat slim. I'm the quintessential park flier, and the 450 was made to fly in parks :)

brentonasmith
10-22-2010, 05:02 AM

Sent from my PC using a keyboard

LMAO :rolling

punkie
10-22-2010, 04:00 PM
go for the lite version, no need for the heat sink and personally I've had more trouble with the heat sink version, my lite has a perfect record.

hoot
10-25-2010, 03:46 AM
"Not recommended for heli or large aircraft use. Please use Phoenix ICE controllers which have better cooling capabilities wherever possible"

http://rc.runryder.com/fastphoto/27926/IMG_3278.jpg

punkie
10-25-2010, 04:22 AM
"Not recommended for heli or large aircraft use. Please use Phoenix ICE controllers which have better cooling capabilities wherever possible"

http://rc.runryder.com/fastphoto/27926/IMG_3278.jpg

I have both and haven't seen any difference between either on a 450... if you're really worried ask 'em.

hoot
10-25-2010, 05:28 AM
I have both and haven't seen any difference between either on a 450... if you're really worried ask 'em.

I called them. I did not get an answer that I was comfortable with. They could not provide a straight answer. So between the BOLD "Not recommended for use on helis" note and their inability to answer with confidence, I sent mine back and got the full ICE versions instead.

http://getdieselpower.com/heli/electronic/ICE_Lite.jpg

jagsta
10-25-2010, 06:15 AM
I called them. I did not get an answer that I was comfortable with. They could not provide a straight answer. So between the BOLD "Not recommended for use on helis" note and their inability to answer with confidence, I sent mine back and got the full ICE versions instead.

Their heli setups page seems to show the Ice Lite 50 as suitable for a trex 450 running a scorpion 2221-8, so I figure it'd be ok for most motors on a 450.

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/helisetups.html

hoot
10-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Their heli setups page seems to show the Ice Lite 50 as suitable for a trex 450 running a scorpion 2221-8, so I figure it'd be ok for most motors on a 450.

http://www.castlecreations.com/support/helisetups.html

Yes I know. Between the website, talking to them and the note on the package I just decided against it. The thing that swayed me the most was the response I got on the phone like they weren't sure themselves why the package has the note but the website says some applications on a heli are OK.

Starcruiser
10-25-2010, 07:44 AM
it depends on where it is mounted. The heat-sink versions can be placed under the canopy or anywhere there is low or no airflow where the lite versions require air flow to keep cool. This of course also depends on how you fly and load it. so YMMV.

I use the heat sinked version since my ESC's are mounted under the canopy.

hoot
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
it depends on where it is mounted. The heat-sink versions can be placed under the canopy or anywhere there is low or no airflow where the lite versions require air flow to keep cool. This of course also depends on how you fly and load it. so YMMV.

I use the heat sinked version since my ESC's are mounted under the canopy.

Sounds great except that note is still on the package..... Not for use in helis.

Starcruiser
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Like I said I use the heat sink version.

There are OP that use the lite version with no issues at all too. So, pick the one you like and go with it, same cost same functionality, a little less head room if I recall.

BaconRaygun
10-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Dude... there are soooo many people here using the ICE lite 50 for all out powerful setups with NO PROBLEM! I think they mean bigger helis...

Besides, 'recommended for mounting in tight fuselages', so, thereís constant air flow inside a tight fuselage? No there isnít... If anything, a 450 with the canopy on still has more air flow under the canopy then a plank with a 'tight fuselage'... Think about it, the canopy is open in the back and on top, the rotors are above it. How could it be possible that the components under the canopy get zero air flow?

Just throwing that out thereÖ

hoot
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
So no warranty issues if you burn it up in a heli?

johnsma22
10-25-2010, 09:34 AM
None of my flight logs over this whole past HOT summer ever showed my Ice Lite 50 temps in my 450 Pro go over 135˚F. Flying in the cooler weather this fall and my esc temps are consistently below 120˚F. Considering all the guys running them here with the same results I'm getting, I say forget the warning. They are just covering their butts. I've also got an Ice Lite 50 in one of my planks and it's temps are always higher than the one in my 450 Pro. Consistently above 150˚F.

Ever buy a piece of electronic equipment that has desiccant packs in the box that say "Do Not Eat"? Do you really think that the manufacturers think that the people buying their stuff actually need to be told not to eat something that comes in the box? Who buys electronics, gets home with it and says; "hey they included a snack"?

Warnings on packages are from lawyers to protect the stupid from themselves. :thumbup:

hoot
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
As long as that BOLD note remains, you won't see it on my heli. I guess the thing that bothers me is the online retailers will send them out and you don't see that warning until you receive the package. Kind of a surprise.