PDA

View Full Version : is the AXE 400 any good?

kevinbattista
10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
HI ALL,
I normally fly a CYPHER 400 but got the tower hobbies "tower talk" in the mail today and saw the AXE for $200. i'm looking for a second heli.. ( one for day and one for night) i like that it can use other parts and has a belt drive tail..and the price tag is perfect, but how's the overall quallity? I dont want to end up with another "bad buy"
and if i need to put alot of $ into it to make it fly good then i'd rather find somethin else... I can only spend about $200 on another heli (wifey's gonna kill me ;))
any help is good help :thumbup:
Thanx

mikeinde
10-23-2010, 03:04 AM
I've not owned one myself, but I've tried to help a few friends at the field try to get them in the air.

Everything I've seen says stay away. I've not heard a single good thing about the Axe lineup.

They use sub-par electronics, and there's a ton of slop in the mechanics.

For $200 you're going to be struggling to get into something reliable, unless you go used.

Electronics alone will push you over $200 for descent stuff.

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but you really do get what you pay for, and I'd hate to see you put good money into something that will disappoint you.

mulicheng
10-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I had an Axe 400 as my 1st bird. I didn't know anything at the time about helicopters and it seemed like a good deal.

Axe 400:
* plastic parts with lots of slop
* Not good servos (Futaba s3114 or something)
* The Gyro is horrible.. I never got mine to work.. Helimax sent me a replacement that I sold on eBay and I just bought a gy 401 clone for $20 and it was orders of magnitude better.
* Replacement parts are much more expensive than 450 SE v2 parts and they are _not_ compatible in most places. Since it was early in my heli experience, I had one of those doh moments and had a bunch of parts break. It was cheaper to buy a whole new heli kit than to buy all the replacement parts for the Axe 400.

Lessons I learned:
* A metal/carbon fiber EXI 450 is a much cheaper frame to build/maintain because of the cost of the spare parts and you can put as good quality electronics in it as you want.
* That said, I still ended up with a used Trex 450. (Had an Exi and the Align both for a while and decided finally to trade the EXI for something else because I didn't really need two helis when the Align was so reliable). I have close to 100 flights on it and I've had one part fail (servo stripped), other than that it has been rock solid.

I parted out the remaining Axe parts.

kevinbattista
10-23-2010, 11:16 AM
OK , Thanx Guys :thumbup:

I kinda figured a $200 Rx-R Heli was "to good to be true"