PDA

View Full Version : 4G6 Tail Rotor Question

enuro12
11-02-2010, 06:16 PM
How freely should my tail rotor spin when removed from the main gear? If i flick the tail rotor it will spin about 2-3 gear teeth. When i manually spin it it feels very tight and binds as it spins.

I removed the torque tube and its not straight at all, i assume that's causing the binding. If i put the tail back together without it, it spins freely 4-5 full revolutions before stopping.

Jskrapper
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I get about 3-4 revs with a good spin. Lucky I just had my maingear off while I read this.

dbennettya
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
On my two the tail rotor will spin about 3-5 revolutions when you spin the medium sized gear with your finger. That is when all is good. A bent drive shaft will really make noise and eat power. I don't know if you can straighten the shaft...maybe a heat gun would allow it to straighten out, not sure just don't get it too hot. Either replace it or try straightening it. Also make sure the boom supports aren't bending the boom, just look at the landing gear and if they are deformed or bent then there is pressure on the boom.

Good Luck, Don

How freely should my tail rotor spin when removed from the main gear? If i flick the tail rotor it will spin about 2-3 gear teeth. When i manually spin it it feels very tight and binds as it spins.

I removed the torque tube and its not straight at all, i assume that's causing the binding. If i put the tail back together without it, it spins freely 4-5 full revolutions before stopping.

enuro12
11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
thanks guys, the boom and gears are all removed. So their is no pressure. Its defiantly the bent tail shaft...

Wonder if i can get 1.45mm cf to replace it.

Ampdraw
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
....and then mill the ends by hand. Probably not worth it.

When you reinstall I put a small piece of double sided tape to align with the boom between the plate and the boom. That way it compresses against the boom when you tighten the screws and wont move. Allows you to only snug the top screw which can cause the boom to split if over lightened.

Also have a close look at the old cf shaft to make sure neither the tail fin or the tail servo mount screws have pierced through the boom and scored the cf shaft...that will certainly slow things down!

Amp

enuro12
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
thx, guess i'm waiting on parts again