PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newb w/ his xmas list

Pages : 1 [2]

lazor 22
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I honestly feel like you wasted money on this. I would have gone with a E-Tech G106 Gyro ($25) and a JR DS290g Tail servo ($35), that combo works great on mine. The only upgrades you needed that you bought were the Scorpion pinions and CF pushrod. As for a charger and batteries I would have gone with a $35 200w Turnigy charger, and Nano-Techs. For Spares I would have spent all my money on shafts, booms, gears, and blades. I would have got KBDD tail blades instead of CF ones.

But anyways, the 250 is a fun bird, enjoy it!

ValHeli
11-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the input Lazor, you should've posted a few days ago, LOL. Anyway, I looked around for that e tech gyro but only found it on ebay. Due to some shipping complications w/ regards to my current location, I'm staying away from ebay unless it's an item I really need and couldn't get any place else.

As for the turnigy, surprisingly good charger for the price. I have 2 of them and use them for my truggy lipos and for charging 3 cells, yes they're good enough. They aren't as accurate as the hyperion charger (they're basically hit and miss. mine's a miss LOL) and later on when I upgrade to a bigger helo, i'll be needing the extra charge power of the hyperion bec. the turnigy can only handle 7 amps max. I didn't know KBDD makes anything that small, so I'll check again and get tail blades from them.

I do appreciate the advice, thanks again for posting!

lazor 22
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
I umm..... couldn't post a few days ago :o........ The only place you can find the ETech's are on Ebay. But Quark are the best gyro out there so no problem if you have one. But I would have gone for the 290 not the 3800, I just don''t get why people put those huge tail servos on there when 290s work great. And yea KBDD is really good, better then CF at a fraction of the price. And if you tap your CF tail blades they can shread, if you tap your KBDD ones you just file them and there fine.

XYZVector
11-16-2010, 09:48 PM
One other thing you will need is a hollow carbon fiber rod, I don't know what size it is exactly, but you will want to sheath the tail push rod with it to stiffen it up. Also some aluminum tail servo mounts don't hurt either. I will try to find out what rod you need and post it in this forum tomorrow. As the tail rod is a bit flimsy, and will bend on you. I don't like tail rod guides, as they create drag in the tail. I like the servos your getting, get the 250 SE as a kit without servos, I use the Futaba 520, and love it, don't bother with the DX8I as this is just to big of a receiver for the small bird a 6100e fits perfectly under the gyro tray.

yellowpecora
11-17-2010, 01:18 AM
One other thing you will need is a hollow carbon fiber rod, I don't know what size it is exactly

You'll need a rod with a 1.5 mm hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValHeli
11-17-2010, 01:51 AM
I umm..... couldn't post a few days ago :o........ yea KBDD is really good, better then CF at a fraction of the price. And if you tap your CF tail blades they can shread, if you tap your KBDD ones you just file them and there fine.

Man, i hope you're not in the middle of the desert like I am. LOL. I'm getting the KBDDs as per recos, as soon as i find a vendor that delivers here.

One other thing you will need is a hollow carbon fiber rod, I don't know what size it is exactly, but you will want to sheath the tail push rod with it to stiffen it up. Also some aluminum tail servo mounts don't hurt either. I will try to find out what rod you need and post it in this forum tomorrow. I like the servos your getting, get the 250 SE as a kit without servos, I use the Futaba 520, and love it, don't bother with the DX8I as this is just to big of a receiver for the small bird a 6100e fits perfectly under the gyro tray.

ordered the 250 SE kit w/ motor/esc only and the 6110e rx from helihobby. as for the radio, i'm only getting the DX7SE, i was told it should be more than enough for this project. Please keep posting your recommendations! thank you so much

You'll need a rod with a 1.5 mm hole.

Thanks XYZ and yellowpecora, If it isn't that much trouble, please post the brand and where I can get them, it's a little tough to research with my internet connection getting cut off constantly. Thanks again guys!

yellowpecora
11-17-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks XYZ and yellowpecora, If it isn't that much trouble, please post the brand and where I can get them, it's a little tough to research with my internet connection getting cut off constantly. Thanks again guys!

Hi,

Don't know if I could be of any help as i usually find the CF tubes/rods at my LHS only, and they're either unbranded or by Robbe (German firm).
I you can't get hold of a proper rod I hear some guys put a 450 flybar as a rod, complete with 450 size balls and links.
Rcmdirect.co.uk has some 1.5mm internal diameter tubes and ships worldwide, hope this helps.

ValHeli
12-26-2010, 01:25 AM
It's the day after Christmas here in Iraq and to my surprise my 250kit arrived in the mail:happyd:happyd:happyd!!!!

Due to the large quantity of spare parts and such, the first thing I did was a full inventory. The happy dance soon ended when i found a few things missing that are listed on the receipt namely: JR3500G servo, 1.5 mm hex driver, and the pinion gear set. To top that off, they didn't include a charge lead for the lipo battery. I'm a little ticked off bec. I called Helihobby personally and asked them repeatedly to make sure that the order has everything I need bec. it's going to Iraq. :(
Don't get me wrong folks, I like the people at Helihobby.:thumbup: They are extremely helpful and they gave me a big discount.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: In fairness, it's a huge order, and it's Christmas. Needless to say, i'm not the only one with a huge order;)

I would like to thank the following helifreaks who helped me figure out what to get.
Vigor 1, dze, Yellopecora, RyuuChi, suresharp, lazor22, XYZVector
special shoutout to Grumpy42 - for helping me figure out all the spares. FurryTrex - who still pm's me with good advice.

You guys rock:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now on to the real challenge of putting this thing together:thinking...time to break out the finless videos.:)

THANK YOU ALL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

FurryTrex
12-26-2010, 01:41 AM
This is really one of the hobbies/activites, where everyone is very friendly, and helpfull.

and remember is not if you crash its WHEN.

So when I hit the ground at 100% throttle, and my heli exploded in parts:arggg:, I laughed, picked up the pieces, and started to re-build:lol:

ValHeli
12-26-2010, 02:20 AM
and remember is not if you crash its WHEN.

So when I hit the ground at 100% throttle, and my heli exploded in parts:arggg:, I laughed, picked up the pieces, and started to re-build:lol:

Break, fix, crash, repeat. LOL, that's how it was when I was racing truggies so I'm no stranger to that frustration. I'm already bracing myself in anticipating that first crash.:bomb:

Furry, thanks for keeping me in a constant state of paranoia - which is actually a good thing for this hobby, I think. :thumbup: