PDA

View Full Version : 6HV KITS how the ESC quality??

Pages : [1] 2

AnTi Taco
11-09-2010, 04:38 PM
hey guys im playing on getting a FBL compass 6HV kit on Blackfriday if nankinhobby.com or amainhobbies.com has a good deal on them and want to know how you guys like the ESC and does it have a BEC built in and if so are you guys using it....

TheBum
11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
The ESC does not have a built-in BEC. I only have 49 flights on my stock ESC, but it's still going strong.

I use a Western Robotics Hercules Super BEC for electronics power, but several people are using separate receiver packs. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

AnTi Taco
11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
ok cool hey TheBum I see in your sig you have some aphilation with nankinhobby did they have any blackfriday sales last year?

kevinator9
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
+1 Bum, the stock ESC works very well. The governor is a bit iffy though if that is something you use.

TheBum
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
The governor is a bit iffy though if that is something you use.

Agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the VBar governor works.

I'm not sure if Nankin will have any Black Friday sales. I wasn't affiliated with them this time last year.

iadamz@mac.com
11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
So if I plan on using the Super Bec, are you guys using a y adapter on the ESC servo plug...I see that the Hercules have two servo outputs, and I only have room to plug one of them in.

Does anyone know if the two servo leads are independent of each other. I use an Optima 7 receiver and it can be powered separately from the servos. Was hoping I could do that with the Hercules.

TheBum
11-09-2010, 05:39 PM
So if I plan on using the Super Bec, are you guys using a y adapter on the ESC servo plug...I see that the Hercules have two servo outputs, and I only have room to plug one of them in.
Yeah, a Y-adapter would work. My VBar had lots of extra places to plug in a second power lead, since I'm using satellite receivers.

Does anyone know if the two servo leads are independent of each other. I use an Optima 7 receiver and it can be powered separately from the servos. Was hoping I could do that with the Hercules.
They come off the BEC output in parallel to distribute the current over two leads instead of one, so they're not independent.

Cullen Colapietro
11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
"Do they have any Black Friday sales"

I'd say give Mike @ Nankin a call. He may make a deal for ya. Def. the shop to go with, I did before my affiliation, that's how I became affiliated.

kevinator9
11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Agreed. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the VBar governor works.

You have to love how all the electronics are all becoming one unit. I have the TotalG which has pretty much the same features (FBL sensor, Governor etc) as the V-Bar and am going to try the Gov on the TotalG this weekend if I get out.

gso125
11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
You have to love how all the electronics are all becoming one unit. I have the TotalG which has pretty much the same features (FBL sensor, Governor etc) as the V-Bar and am going to try the Gov on the TotalG this weekend if I get out.

Andrew I'm going to try and set up the total g this weekend. Did you have any issues putting it on the gyro tray it's a little big for it and do you have any setting suggestions.

kevinator9
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I mounted it on the gyro tray. Only use one piece of foam tape (not two like the manual states it is a mistake in the manual).
I mounted it with the wires facing out the back which means I had to cut little slots in my frames to get the velcro strap around the unit (left to right). My friend has it mounted sideways with wires facing out the side so he can put the velcro strap on (front to back) without cutting his frames.
Set your FC Gain to GView. Do not run FC Gain off your transmitter, it makes the unit do funny things and should be fixed in the next update.

That's all I have at this point. I am sure I will slowly learn too :)

skunkworx
11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I use Hobbywings on both my Atoms (500 and 6HV). They have been pretty much bullet-proof. The only other ESC brand I've ever owned that didn't cook on me at some point is the Align 35X on my 450, so the HW's are quite impressive in my book in that theuy have out-lasted any of the other ones I've ever used. I've had the one on my Atom for well over a year now and it's still kicking butt, so I'd say you can't go wrong with it. :thumbup:

TheBum
11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I use Hobbywings on both my Atoms (500 and 6HV). They have been pretty much bullet-proof. The only other ESC brand I've ever owned that didn't cook on me at some point is the Align 35X on my 450, so the HW's are quite impressive in my book in that theuy have out-lasted any of the other ones I've ever used. I've had the one on my Atom for well over a year now and it's still kicking butt, so I'd say you can't go wrong with it. :thumbup:

I'm 1-for-2 with HW ESCs. The one on my Atom 500 smoked when I powered up in preparation for the second-ever flight on the heli.

skunkworx
11-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, that's usually the case. If it does go out on you, it'll fry right away (like I said, same thing happens to just about any ESC on the market), but if it lasts for the first 10 or so flights, they're usually good to go for a long time. They will be covered under warranty if that is the case though, which is very similar to how Castle Creations does it with theirs, but I hear more about CC failures than HW nowadays anyhow. I believe they are a very good choice and have worked very well overall with no reason to swap out anytime soon. If I did, the only thing I would get would be a Kontronik.

TheBum
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, that's usually the case. If it does go out on you, it'll fry right away (like I said, same thing happens to just about any ESC on the market), but if it lasts for the first 10 or so flights, they're usually good to go for a long time. They will be covered under warranty if that is the case though, which is very similar to how Castle Creations does it with theirs.

I did get a warranty replacement, but in the meantime I had already bought a new ESC (Scorpion), which was pretty soon replaced with a CC ICE 100. Say what you will about CC's governor (usually in the context of comparing it against a Kontronik), but it's 1000 times better than Scorpion's.

skunkworx
11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Nah, I don't really do the governor stuff myself. I have used the CC on my smaller helis and it was ok, but I prefer fixed endpoints. My main reason for wanting the Knotroniks is there's no hassle, no guessing, and barely any setup whatsoever. It just makes it worth the expense. CC has come a long way in the last couple years and they are very good for the price you pay. It just becomes a "Go big or go home" kind of situation.

The HW has been a good hold-over until I can afford the Kon, and it performs well enough not to be replaced right away with a CC. I think it would be a smart move (for the OP) to use the HW until either you can get a "better" ESC or keep it around as a back-up. That was mostly what I was trying to say without being too pushy! :cheers

AnTi Taco
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
"Do they have any Black Friday sales"

I'd say give Mike @ Nankin a call. He may make a deal for ya. Def. the shop to go with, I did before my affiliation, that's how I became affiliated.

im just gunna wait till black friday just seems like begging to me if i go and e-mail Mike looking for a deal. I feel alittle uncomfortable asking........ hoping to get a black friday deal with blades,ESC, and motor for $480 if they do a crazy 20% off like some online store on Blackfriday or better so will see what happens

TheBum
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
im just gunna wait till black friday just seems like begging to me if i go and e-mail Mike looking for a deal. I feel alittle uncomfortable asking........ hoping to get a black friday deal with blades,ESC, and motor for $480 if they do a crazy 20% off like some online store on Blackfriday or better so will see what happens

Mike won't bite your head off. The worst that could happen is that he could say "no" or wouldn't be able to give you much of a price break. In the few exchanges I've had with Mike, he seems to be a really nice guy.

Ah Clem
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
At Alan's recommendation, I have been using the WR Hercules in my 6HV. I agree with him in that this is an excellent unit (I have upgraded my other two large, electric helicopters to this unit as well).

I have had excellent results from the stock ESC's in both the 6HV and the Atom. If I could change one thing, it would be to make the soft start a bit softer, otherwise no issues.

TheBum
11-10-2010, 02:09 PM
If I could change one thing, it would be to make the soft start a bit softer, otherwise no issues.
+1. Even the overall soft-start process isn't that bad, it's just that sudden jerk at the beginning.

iadamz@mac.com
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
I rocked Hobywings for a long time on a blade 4OO and on my Protos. Where it failed me was in its BEC. I was under the impression while starting out that built in BECs were good to go on these things, why else would they have them there as a feature. Two crashes later I figured it out, needed a separate bec, but I really like the ease of programming for sure.

What throttle curve are folks running with the stock setup? A curve or 100% flat? hard stuff kinda flying.

TheBum
11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm running governed with a flat curve in the mid to upper 70% range (don't remember the exact number) because I'm wanting to run around 1950-2000 head speed.

skunkworx
11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
The BEC's are usually limited to a certain amperage. if you exceed that regardless of the manufacturer, it will fail or cause problems. Even the best ESC (Kontronic for example) will give the same fault if you overdo it. More than likely you had too high of a draw from your servos and that was the problem, not the ESC/BEC.

As for curves, the recommended value is a flat 80%. I run 100-85-100 and 100-90-100 or variances of the mid-stick amounts, but it's somewhere along those lines. I plan on changing it down to 80 or 85% flat and then running mixes for cyclic inputs seeing it worked wonders on my 450 (Thanks Ah Clem!). I figure the bigger heli could make even more use of the mixes because it has the power to do it and it will conserve the batteries a lot better (aka you get longer flights, cooler batteries, and less stress overall on your batteries/airframe).

iadamz@mac.com
11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Wow man, mixes. Never even thought of that. Yet another facet of the hobby to play with. Going to be a long winter.

Ah Clem
11-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I run both "U" shaped throttle curves and cyclic to throttle mixes on all my electrics-this works very well for keeping constant RPM no matter what maneuver you are doing.
(you are welcome Skunkworx).