PDA

View Full Version : THE FEAR!

Pages : 1 [2]

jauguston
11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself Ivor.

Jim

seanmil666
11-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Congrats but the fear will always creep back to remind you (with close calls and crashes). Agree with snjbird on the stabilization systems here, and would simply be a bandaid to cover the fear. Better to confront it head on and tackle it like the OP did.

Mr Rossi
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
just to get back on topic, nice flying mate, and glad you picked up the chocolate after. and fairplay fro flying when i couldnt even feel my fingers, let alone tell them what to do:thumbup:

Thanks mate....those words mean a lot. You and I have flown together for years, long may it continue...we're both progressing well, let's keep it up. I can feel a chaos attempt coming on lol :-)
To the rest of you, just enjoy the hobby....progress isn't a bad thing in any respect, if you fly without a FM or HeliCommand, respect is due (nice,whatdoesitdo; we know how hard THAT is...!) and to those that use them, just enjoy the hobby, just because you go home with your helis intact every time doesn't make you any less of a modeller, or make flying helis any less of a challenge (you still have to build them and set them up) ENJOY!
For me, I just enjoy flying with my mate, we chat, we fly, we have a laugh...we crash, we rebuild, we enjoy it for what it is....

nice,whatdoesitdo?
11-16-2010, 04:34 PM
exactly mate, i still remember my first heli. the one that really didnt wana fly. at all. but still a good crack. no matter how or what your fly, as long as you enjoy it, all that matters.

Ivor Hill
11-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks mate....those words mean a lot. You and I have flown together for years, long may it continue...we're both progressing well, let's keep it up. I can feel a chaos attempt coming on lol :-)
To the rest of you, just enjoy the hobby....progress isn't a bad thing in any respect, if you fly without a FM or HeliCommand, respect is due (nice,whatdoesitdo; we know how hard THAT is...!) and to those that use them, just enjoy the hobby, just because you go home with your helis intact every time doesn't make you any less of a modeller, or make flying helis any less of a challenge (you still have to build them and set them up) ENJOY!
For me, I just enjoy flying with my mate, we chat, we fly, we have a laugh...we crash, we rebuild, we enjoy it for what it is....

We dont come home with the heli intact every time,just more often.These systems are not that good yet.
I recently smashed 2 helis in less than 5 minutes, one a jetranger I spent a lot of time building.

Tomy.
11-16-2010, 06:31 PM
I really did not want to reply, but here it goes oil to the fire, sorry guys...
You keep leaning on that crutch and the crutch keeps breaking, guess what happens to you all the time? The solution is not to get a better crouch but to learn to walk.
Ivor, nothing personal, I understand you had a reason, but this is a great example why "in general" this is not the best way to learn.

Ivor Hill
11-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I really did not want to reply, but here it goes oil to the fire, sorry guys...
You keep leaning on that crutch and the crutch keeps breaking, guess what happens to you all the time? The solution is not to get a better crouch but to learn to walk.
Ivor, nothing personal, I understand you had a reason, but this is a great example why "in general" this is not the best way to learn.

Not quite sure what you mean by the crutch keeps breaking. If you are refering to my crashes my so called crutch did not fail, I did. Are you saying that if you learn to fly without the crutch you wont have crashes.
As I said they do not fly the heli for you, if you are high enough and you get into trouble if you centre the stick to heli will upright. If you are not high enough you crash.
They do help a lot in a hover and help a lot in learning nose and side in. But in flight they only level the heli and it will continue to fly in the direction it it pointing.

Tomy.
11-16-2010, 09:30 PM
No I meant if you learn to fly without those, you'll never need one. I have a feeling we beat this topic to death... At the end we all fly the way we prefer, so I respect your choice.

jauguston
11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Tomy,

The part you and some others here seem to ignore is that there is a lot of folks for one reason or another get so frustrated with crashing all the time of not being able to get past tail in hover (Me) that they quit. For those of us in that situation the FM and other devices is a salvation that allows us to start having fun with our helis.

Some of you say if you learn to fly with one you will always need it. The answer that you all don't get is "SO WHAT". We are having fun and what the heck is wrong with that.

Jim

Tomy.
11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Jim, I never diasgreed with the part that you decide for yourself what you want to fly after experiences, if you do your homework and realize that you might get "addicted" to it. I'm heavily agains these if 1) you have no idea what you are getting yourself into and how hard it will be to leave it behind and 2) an instructor bringing this up to a student as an option from the get-go. SNJ said the same thing and you smacked him ;)

Sorry to disagree, but telling someone that getting a Flight stabilization will help them learn is wrong. If they don't want to learn, then so be it, get one.

jauguston
11-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Tomy,

The word "instructor" seems to come up a lot in the flight stabilization is bad camp. I would bet that 80% or more of the owners of our helis have never seen a instructor (me) and wouldn't have access to one if he wanted to find one. One of the BIG reasons to try helis rather than fixed wing RC is the freedom to not have to be involved with a organized RC flying field. I was involved with a organized flying field for many years and really had no choice flying fixed wing. I don't go near that place any more. Too much politics and costs. I can have fun with my helis in my back yard or a empty school play field and there are sure not any instructors there. Just the school of hard knocks (crashes). I am fully insured for my RC flying and don't need or want and orginazation. There is no heli instructors in this area even if someone was interested in using one.

Its kind of like the Quicksilver ultralight I fly. I keep it in a converted barn made into a hangar and have 800' of runway in the hay field. I don't need no stinkin airport, no FAA and no hangar rent (-:

Jim

seanmil666
11-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Flymentor= No Fear (-:

Jim

The point that others are trying to make is that you are giving advice (acting as an instructor) to a potential beginner with the above type of remarks. And they are disagreeing with it.
"Crutches" such as these are appropriate to use when pilots gets frustrated and need help.
But why would it be recommended to the OP of this thread who seems to getting along quit good without it.

Tomy.
11-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Sean :thumbup: thanks for translating my poor English to real English!

Mr Rossi
11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Jeez, never thought that a simple report of my day could cause so much debate amongst you.
To those of you who enjoy flying, keep doing it, IT'S A HOBBY....to be enjoyed by all....(I think that's still what it's about, correct me if I'm wrong)
I love speaking to my fellow pilots on HF, (the best forum I've used, period) so just enjoy where you're at, and what you do.
Give advice if you are in the know(Finless/Socal/Moderators/Sponsors- we salute you) if you're not, listen and learn, and don't be afraid to offer ideas.
Don't get so stressed about it.....I bet when your out and you see a heli hovering, you smile.... I bet you $10/7.50/

nice,whatdoesitdo?
11-18-2010, 04:56 PM
u get chance to fly new motor today?

Tomy.
11-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Jeez, never thought that a simple report of my day could cause so much debate amongst you. To those of you who enjoy flying, keep doing it, IT'S A HOBBY....to be enjoyed by all....(I think that's still what it's about)

I love speaking to my fellow pilots on HF, (the best forum I've used, period) so just enjoy where you're at, and what you do. Don't get so stressed about it.....GO FLY!!!!

Weather in Seattle is total wrack :(. No flying, next best thing is read HF and get stressed. :wow2:

Mr Rossi
11-18-2010, 05:22 PM
u get chance to fly new motor today?

No....I had to "work" god damn bills need paying lol :-) this weekend- up early for some s#$ts and giggles if it isn't like gods car wash out there....?

nice,whatdoesitdo?
11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
yes mate, beat some air into submission

seanmil666
11-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Jeez, never thought that a simple report of my day could cause so much debate amongst you.
To those of you who enjoy flying, keep doing it, IT'S A HOBBY....to be enjoyed by all....(I think that's still what it's about, correct me if I'm wrong)
I love speaking to my fellow pilots on HF, (the best forum I've used, period) so just enjoy where you're at, and what you do.
Give advice if you are in the know(Finless/Socal/Moderators/Sponsors- we salute you) if you're not, listen and learn, and don't be afraid to offer ideas.
Don't get so stressed about it.....I bet when your out and you see a heli hovering, you smile.... I bet you $10/7.50/

The simple answer to this is that it ain't just a hobby, it's a passion:cheers

Mr Rossi
11-18-2010, 05:49 PM
The simple answer to this is that it ain't just a hobby, it's a passion:cheers

Lol....there's always one :-) Happy flying to all this weekend....

Ivor Hill
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I think one of the problem is the reaction of some guys ( not all ) when you mention these system or are seen useing one. I have been appoached several times by guys who are puzzied by the stability of the heli. Some are very interested ask questions and all is fine, others, mainly the older guys are visibly discusted that you did not learn the hard way as they did. So there is a certain amount of stigma attached to them.

I give help with Flymentor and Helicommand on this site and a few weeks ago a member called me a born cheater for useing them.
Whether you use them or not is your own choice but you should not be frowned upon if you decide to.
I do agree that if you do use one to learn to fly chances are you will never be able to fly without it but that does not really matter you don't have to unless you want to learn 3D.
It is changing a lot of very able flyers are now fitting them, particularly.CP2 because it's very capable bail out function.