PDA

View Full Version : Boom Slip R90se

flymo
01-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I crashed my 90 today after loosing the tail. The boom slipped back and disengaged the torque tube from its drive.
Is this a common problem? and is there a "best" way to stop it happening again?

Cheers

capebob
01-20-2007, 05:12 PM
It has happened before on nearly all brands of helicopters with torque tubes. I watched a Miniature Aircraft Ion-X shed it's boom several months ago. To prevent a recurrence make sure the four machine screws that secure the boom are gorilla tight. Then put a piece of white tape or a dab of white paint on the boom where it joins the tail boom bracket. Inspect this after each flight. If your boom is shifting you will notice a gap between the bracket and the tape.

If you are unable to tighten your tail boom sufficiently you can do one of two things. First, remove the boom brackets and using a sanding block sand the adjoining faces of the blocks in the area where the tail boom is supported. It doesn't take much to remove enough material to be able to tighten the boom. Alternatively, you can wrap a length of electrical tape around the boom and tighten the boom good and tight.

Bob

flymo
01-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Bob.

alexander
01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Couple things to look at. If the frames clamp sorta good on the boom then the aft boom support clamp could be causing the thing to work it's way out. I like to epoxy the fin/boom clamp to the boom after cleaning and light sanding-deglazing with scotch brite. There will be a slight squeeze out which acts as a retaining ring so don't wipe it all off. If you do this correctly you now have an added safety feature for boom slippage.

Stephen