PDA

View Full Version : thread lock help

Duiga
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
hey guys i just received my copterx 450 in the mail today and I am applying thread lock where it is needed. But my thread lock was almost empty when i received it. I would like to know if i can use the anaerobics retainer thread lock that came with it instead since my hobbyshop is close due to snow blizzard. :dontknow

sniper_iron_man
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
im not to sure what anaerobics retainer is but a simple answer to this is if you can actually drive i would go to your local auto store and buy a little bottle of blue thread lock it should only cost you about 4 bucks and it should last you a long time for other future builds or repairs.

Brett74
01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
it's for locking bearings into holders, cylindrical retainer is kinda a laymans term for it, I would uses Blue loctite, 242 I think it is also called.

poor_red_neck
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Yep, not all loc-tite is created equal. I only use Loctite brand 242. I just use CA to hold bearings into plastic holders.

Elios000
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
if you can get to Ace hardware should be open even with the snow you can get Blue loctite
or any other hardware store should have loctite

Duiga
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
okay thanks for your help guys, i will have to wait until tomorrow hobbyshop close. I feel like a kid waiting on christmas the next day:). Cant wait

TheBum
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Definitely don't use the retainer compound. You'd need to heat it up to break it loose. Blue loctite will come loose with a little torque on the hex driver.

jlharv
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Also, if you do end up buying it at a hardware store, be careful. I read a story on here about some one who bought "blue loctite". Loctite is a brand and they have a superglue like product that comes in a blue package. Poor guy built his whole heli with superglue! So just be sure that you are getting a threadlocker and not glue.

Duiga
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Also, if you do end up buying it at a hardware store, be careful. I read a story on here about some one who bought "blue loctite". Loctite is a brand and they have a superglue like product that comes in a blue package. Poor guy built his whole heli with superglue! So just be sure that you are getting a threadlocker and not glue.

thanks for the heads up Jlharv will keep that in mind:thumbup:

sniper_iron_man
01-11-2011, 01:06 PM

oh yeah i have seen that about although it does come in a clear bottle and glue is clear some one still might mistaken it as lock tight that sucks for the guy who bought the glue and not the blue bottle with the blue liquid.

BaconRaygun
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

That sux but I cant help but laugh a little...

the collective
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM
If the package doesn't say Loctite 242 it's not the stuff you want.

poor_red_neck
01-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Do you hve a home depot near you? Or lowe's or Menards? They all carry the real Loctite. You'll find it in the paint department with the glues. Also Advance Auto and Autozone or Pep Boys should al carry genuine loctite. It'll be a red package and red bottle but blue lettering.

Pick it up and build tonight if you feel like flying tomorrow. Loctite needs to sit for 24 hours to fully cure. It hardens in 30 minutes but doesn't fully cure for 24hrs. That way you can fly tomorrow (18 hours should stil be enough.) I have flown after only an hour and my motor mount screw worked itself loose.

AcidDrink
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
If the package doesn't say Loctite 242 it's not the stuff you want.
Or 243

Duiga
01-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks alot everyone I found some 242 blue locktite at the home depot only $2.89 so I bought two:YeaBaby:

grooveytunes
01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
anaerobic sealer is not loctite. I'm an auto mechanic by trade. This stuff is used as a gasket sealer for small imperfections. it is not loctite.

raptorJoe
04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

LMFAO!!!:rotf Sorry....kinda. That would suck. Hey I know I've done my fair share of stupid mistakes.:oops: