PDA

View Full Version : Vibe 90 SG Substitute for TDR in Phoenix Sim

iba10753
01-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I've been working as often as possible with my new Phoenix Sim. It was suggested that the JR Vibe 90 SG was a fairly close match with the TDR. I've been mainly using the Blade SR and the T-Rex 550e 3G (delivery by this Wednesday!) but thought I'd go through some hover practice with the TDR substitute (Vibe 90 SG). I set it up as active flybarless.

Is my eventual transition to flybarless going to be a pleasant surprise with respect to how stable the flybarless system is? For instance, when you make cyclic movements with the SR or 550 you must make very minor movements and then be prepared to counter that movement because the rotor head won't automatically seek out a good hover attitude. It's a constant dance of movement/counter-movement.

With the flybarless TDR, it appears that after you make a cyclic movement the heli seems to neutralize itself back to a hover position. I was astounded and just had to ask if that is what I'll experience in real flying?

Thanks,
Ben

iba10753
01-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Also, I'm assuming that the "active flybarless" would be a flybarless with a system like the VStabi? A "passive flybarless" would be a flybarless system with just a normal gyro?

Thanks,
Ben

ZuvieleTeile
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Ben, me again:>)

I don't know why they referring to the flb system as active or passive.
All flb systems have 3 gyros in the meantime and are able to stabilize the heli instead of the flybar.
The big difference is, that with a normal system (flybar and tail gyro), when you move the sticks to a certain position you tell the receiver to move the servos to a certain position.
If this servo position serves your purpose is not known to the receiver.
So, depending on weather conditions, it is a constant battle for you, to adjust the rate it rolls, pitches or yaws.

In case of a flb system, you tell the system a roll rate.
When you move the sticks to a certain position, this tells the system, that you want to have, let's say, 300 degrees/second roll .
And the system does this roll rate, no matter what. If the headspeed is slow, if there is wind trying to roll the heli faster or something else.
And roll rate in this case means for all three axises not just for the longitudinal axis.

There is much more to it, but let's see what you figure out and then there are plenty of guys here for answering almost all of your questions.
Maybe Jointer will not be answering any longer after his last post.
They might cut him off from the outside world.;)

KR
ZT

iba10753
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Okay, so a good FBL system smooths out the rough edges of external forces so that you simply end up with the movement you wanted instead of just a given servo position. Thanks for the explanation!

I'm sure Jointer will be fine. Everyone has a bad day every once in a while....even experienced rc heli pilots!

Ben

kidphc
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
In phoenix, passive fbl is like normal fbl units. Active fbl would be a fbl unit with stabilization, ie. Skookum 720 with stabilization on.

What you are experiencing is the heli self stabilizing. If you want it to mimic a vbar turn it to passive.

Keep in mind with fbl you don't have to make many of the corrections you would with a fb head.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

iba10753
01-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks, kidphc. I'll change the setting to passive and get back to work.

Ben

ZuvieleTeile
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks from me too kidphc,
see, I learned something. I never looked into the newer Skookum system nor into the setup of the Phoenix.