PDA

View Full Version : Pushglo problem

steve_b
01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Not sure if anyone has had this problem with their Pushglo.

Over the past few weeks I've had trouble starting the engines in my 700 and Rave, I put this down to the cold weather and them being 90's as my 600 starts fine, but today decided to investigate the problem a bit more.

Both helis have a Pushglo and the problem I have is, when I use the Pushglo the heli doesn't start. If I use a glow stick it starts reasonably easily. I've taken the plug out and put it in the glow driver and it glows like a light bulb. I've connected the croc clip of the Pushglo to the plug and then touched the threaded end of the plug on the crankcase of the engine and the plug glows very dimly. I've checked the external connections and they all seem ok. The batteries were fully charged and the Pushglo is powered via electronics that are on the 5.2volt regulated side of a ReactorX on the 700 and a Gryphon regulator on the Rave so it's not a power supply issue as the electronics wouldn't work. The issue is the same on both helis.

One of the guys at the club mentioned about wires on the Pushglo breaking / fraying in the heatshrink convered end but I've had a look on the web and I can't find any reference to that problem.

Anyone had similar and if so what was the fix?

Wormy129
02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Have you checked the ground wire?

latte
02-01-2011, 12:59 PM
The ground wire seems to be a little weak, as mine has broken a couple of times, but that is also due to vibrations and poorly fastening.

I have 2 pushglo's and both are working great. Start my helis in +20 and -20 celsius ;)

crashagain
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Did you make a little washer for the stem of the glo plug so the alligator clip does not ground out?
I used a piece of fuel line and it works great.

steve_b
02-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I must admit I haven't checked the ground wire but will do that.

I'm pretty sure that the croc clip hasn't shorted on the plug because when I attach the croc clip I always pull it back so that it locks in the grooves on the plug.

steve_b
02-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Checked out the pushglo's on both helis and it looks like they're broken.

I've checked the wires visually and with mulltimeter and they're good. I've measured the voltage across the glowplug it's only 0.3V, the input voltage is 5.2v as expected and doesn't change with load, so I guess they're both toast :(

It's a real pity as when they worked they were really good but for both of them to fail the same way, I've not shorted them across the plug, means that there must have been a bad batch and I've got 2 out of that batch. I also don't want to take the risk of spending another £70 replacing them to have them go in a couple of months

crashagain
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I would contact the company and see if you can send them in.
If they are not shorted out, then they would know you did not break them and they might replace them at no charge.
It does not cost anything to ask.

Herky
02-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I know this has been a year ago, but I just built a new 700N heli, and I can't get this damn push glo to light the plug!!! I can get it to give me a solid tone, but the element in the glow plug wont glow (or just barely). It's as if there is very low voltage getting to the plug.
I guess I'll send it back...very frustrating, as I have been trying to maiden this bird in a break in the weather here.

I think I may send mine back too. too bad.

ChadL
02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I found some other threads in which they mention they get tone but no glow. I've run into intermittent glow. I get tone, but not always glow. I've pulled my pushglo to send it back in. Someone representing pushglo mentioned in one of these other threads that if your pushglo is under a year old to send it in under warranty. I've switched to switchglo while I wait for the pushglo. I'll put the pushglo on my other heli once I get it back.

Glenn Goodlett
02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
What glow plug? When I switched from OS 8 to Enya 5 none of my glow igniters (2 in 1 and Perfect reg) would do the job any more. Seems the Enya 5 has less resistance than the OS 8. I had to go old school. One more battery to be dead when I want to fly.

Glenn

whittb
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
thatís not good to hear. I was planning to use a Enya 5 on my YS120. But I may stay with the os#8 if I will not be able to use the push glow.

Glenn Goodlett
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Thats what i thought too, but the 1.20 runs so much better with the Enya 5. I'm kinda pissed cause I got this Perfect Regulator trio whatever most expensive one out and it still will not light the Enya 5.

Herky
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
I tested O.S. #8, Enya #3, TT #2, and TT#3. New and used.

exfokkerflyer
02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I had the same problem with my Perfect Reg Duo Pro and my Pushglo. Niether would light my Enya 5 in my YS 120.

Further investigation revealed that the Perfect would light an OS #8, but not the Enya #5. The Pushglo, simply wouldn't light anything.

Sent emails to both companies about a month ago after the Tulare Fun Fly (where Goodlett and I talked about this issue). Got responses from both rather quickly. Both basically asked a couple of questions and said that they were looking into it. How did it turn out?

As it's been said in a couple other threads, Switchglo had some issues with counterfeit parts and they were aware of the problem and insisted they would make it right. About ten days after initial contact I had a new Pushglo with a SASE to drop my bad one in and send back.

Still waiting for a response from Perfect Reg. I used to push his products to my friends, but I'm afraid that day has gone. Just too many issues. Switchglo won me over.

I suggest if you are having issues with any of their products that you contact them, they actually DO stand behind their products. Nice to see.

Tom M

Pinecone
02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Not really defending Perfect Regulators, but at least when I dealt with them, he was a one man shop with a real job.

So things did not happen quickly.

Alignnitro
02-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I just did all this this past weekend... I used the pushglow and it wasnt cutting it... hooked up the 12v box and glow ignitor and she fired right up..... The voltage you are putting to it is only making the glow about half of what it needs to be.... You can check this by pulling the glow plug and hooking it up to the switchglow... ground it out and hit the glow buttom... watch how bright the element gets..... then do it with a glow driver or a feild box with controled amps and you will see a huge difference.....

this is and was my problem... now after the heli was started and running as long as i didnt let it sit for 30 mins or so she would fire back up on the switchglow.....

Check this out and then check into a better battery that can handle all the stuff you are running....

kramerr
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
My PushGlo still ignites the glow plug, but the tone is so faint, I can't hear it when I am at the field. I wonder what the fix is to this problem.:thumbdown:

exfokkerflyer
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I know this is a Pushglo thread and I don't mean to hijack it, but I wanted to add an update to a previous post of mine...

Yesterday I got a email from Matthew at Perfect Regulators. He asked me to send in my Duo pro ignitor as he's identified and fixed the problem with the Enya plugs. I will send it in later today or tomorrow morning.

Hopefully he has it all sorted out.

Tom M