PDA

View Full Version : Is a Trex 450 A Good First CP Heli?

Bitbandit
03-07-2011, 03:37 AM
So I've been flying a Blade 120SR FP Heli and I have a DX7 TX and I've been putting time in on the Sim (Phoenix) with the CP Heli Models.

I'm looking to buy my first CP heli and I'm at a loss as to which way to go. I don't know anyone else in the hobby so all I have is the LHS and this forum. The guy at the LHS says a Blade SR is the proper next step but I've also read about a lot of issues with the SR and folks joke that if you can fly and SR you can fly anything. I'm not sure that's really a good thing. Also, many people say that the 450 Size heli is much more stable and easy to fly since the kits have better quality electronics that the SR and it doesn't have the lag of a direct drive tail rotor.

My question is whether I should be looking at buying a "Good" heli up front and not mess with the SR?

If the Trex makes sense, which model should I look for? I know theres a 450SE, 450 Sport, and 450Pro .

Being new to the hobby, should I even consider buying used?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Bitbandit
03-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Seems like I got some of my questions answered in this thread:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=278781

I'm still interested in whatever opinions are out there!

-Ryan

N4HHA
03-07-2011, 08:56 AM
For what it is worth - Also running a 120SR with a DX7. After a couple months of lurking around HF, I picked up a couple 450V2 clone kits since there is a ton of support and parts available. Finished the first one this weekend. The build was a blast. As soon as the wind lets up we'll see if I made the right choice.

kickbackkid
03-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I will reply as a former SR owner. I wanted to start with the Blade 400, but the LHS worker talked me into the SR. The SR will have some shortcomings, but can teach you hovering, forward flight, and some aerobatics. When I went to the 450 Sport, it was such a difference! What a smooth flying machine. You can tame them down just like the SR if you want. The 450 will make an excellent trainer. Now, I never came from a fixed pitch, but there is a big learning curve for collective pitch. You can buy a 450 Sport or Pro for only $200 dollars more than the SR and it will last you a lifetime. I know a couple of people who have bought 450 size clones and have been perfectly happy with them. You will get a lot of different answers here, but if you start slowly with Radds training and strap some training gear on, you can conquer the 450. One other thing, I highly recommend you find somebody who already knows heli's and how to set them up. They can help you set up your radio and heli to make it so much easier. Lean on other people who have already traveled the road before you. Good luck!

dannylightning
03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
bigger is easier to fly, most say you should start out with the biggest helicopter you can afford to crash

i started with a SR absolutely awesome to learn on and cheep to crash. after that i got a blade 400:mad: flew that for maybe 2 months and got a t rex 500 and love it. i would get a 550 of some sort either t rex or gaui x5 but blades and battery's are a fortune for a 550, i cant afford to crash it. i dont crash much but when i do i dont want to pay 80 bucks for a set of blades..

so i would say either get a SR, 450 sport or t rex 500 or even a 550 if you can afford it. bigger is so much easier to fly, but it can be extremely intimidating. if you will not be scared of a bigger helicopter go for it. if you will be scared of it (i was scared of the blade 400) than get a SR and milk it for all its worth and than move up the the helicopter you want. or you really cant go wroing with a 450 sport. excelent helicopter and its always nice to have something small that you can fly almost anywhere.

Varc
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
You might want a Blade 450 as Eflite products seem to be available everywhere. Just about every Hobby Town USA has them. So parts will be readily available to you when you need them.
The Align Trex is a favorite, but not as easily to get parts for.

The 450 is a descent size to learn on. I'm still learning my self and I love my KDS 450 for training on.

SavageHunter
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
I started with a Blade CP Pro and had nothing but trouble, but I recently built one of the 450 clones and love it! The difference between the Blade and the 450 was night and day for me. So much easier to fly and learn on.

fuentes72
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
From experience I own the blade sr, blade 400 and trex 450 pro. If you can afford it I would definately recommend the trex 450pro. The blade sr is not a good helicopter to start with. The blade 400 is way better than the sr but cost more. The align trex 450 pro is my favorite helicopter. The electronics are great, flies great and is a excellent helicopter in my opinion. I am ordering a trex 550E that is coming this week. I am in San Jose California and if you need any help or in the area I can help you.

kenkadish
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
To me, an owner of an SR and brand new Trex 450 Sport, the SR is the way to go if this is your first venture into the CP realm. The difference...cost. You are going to crash, and probably crash a lot. SR parts are cheap, and readily available at a discount. While the stock tx is nothing to write home about, it definitely slows things down, and unless you're a natural, starting slow is the way to go. Of course, I'm old and slow. After about 410 flights on the SR, I can hover tail, left and right in, pirouette, and move back and forth and side to side. No Szabo here...:) The 450 is too new for me to make any judgments..still working on pitch and throttle curves and d/r rates. Just to say, when I spin it up, it is scarey to me...the SR is much more tame. Danny is the guy to listen to...lots of SR experience...

Ken

clank72
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I agree the Blade series heli's are the way to go when starting out. I have probably had the most fun with my mSR. Except the CP Pro, I would stay away from that.

The only down side to me is, the mini heli's are hard to work on because they are so small. The main boards always go out on mine. Then you have to take the whole thing apart and change the board, which is the most expensive part. You need a microscope to see what you are doing.

However on my 450 Sport, I can clearly see the problem with my eyes. In some cases it's only under $10 to fix and I can do the repair with normal tools.

I dunno just me

Bitbandit
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm going to check parts availability locally as well. I have a couple hobby stores nearby and if either of them carries Align parts, I will probably go that route.

I had considered waiting for the Blade 450 because I know all three stores nearby carry E Flite stuff. The one issue I can see is that the Blade 450 is new and untested. The servos are stronger (high force rating) but they are still plastic gears from what I could tell (DS76's). Who knows how good the new Gyro is...

-Ryan