PDA

View Full Version : Strange New Noise

RCnut1980
03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
I've been flying my 600n for several months now, not really hard, just nice smooth sport flying. At the weekend though, a new strange noise started coming from the heli. It's extremely difficult to explain noises on a forum like this, but it was kind of like a very quiet swooshing whirring screechy type noise. It's intermittent and not constant, but I don't know what it is. And note when I say 'screechy', I mean a very very quiet tame screech, not a fingers down blackboard type screech!

Ive never had a bearing go on either the heli or inside the engine, but could this be the cause of the noise?

Any other ideas?

Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER
03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
To be honest, nitro helis are noisy and I've heard "phantom noises" come and go on mine on more than once occasion. You could very well have a problem though.

Can you hear it over the pipe if you hover left side in with the pipe facing you? I've had the gear mesh get noisy from time to time where it sounds a little bit like you're describing, but I couldn't hear it over the pipe in the hover described above.

Rear bearings in your motor are unmistakeable. You'll know the sound forever once you've heard it, and when you do you'll know because you'll start going through glow plugs like crazy.

RCnut1980
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks, I will try that hover test.

I did actually have a glow plug go about 3 tanks ago, so could it be the start of an engine bearing problem? What noise do they make when they go?

And what noise do other heli bearings make when they go?

aww
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks, I will try that hover test.

I did actually have a glow plug go about 3 tanks ago, so could it be the start of an engine bearing problem? What noise do they make when they go?

And what noise do other heli bearings make when they go?
When the bearings went on my OS 50H it was very noisy on tick over. You don't really notice until you fit new bearings then you can really tell the difference! Also it could be other bearings ( like clutch housing ) slipping in their mountings ( that is why Bob tells us to `shoe goop` them.
Anthony

Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER
03-22-2011, 06:03 AM
All glow plugs are not created equal, sometimes one wil go quickly and the next will last months, who knows? But, if you get the point where you feel like you need three on hand just to go to the field, check your bearings!