PDA

View Full Version : to govern or not to govern ? (poll)

flybar-les
04-10-2011, 06:03 AM
i'm really interested in who flies with and without governor, i fly with governor for about a year but i nticed that with every bird the flighttimes decrease then when you fly fixed endpoints.

i'm thinking of trying fixed endpoints again just for laughs and who knows i just migh like it on my 6HV :thumbup:

Ah Clem
04-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I fly with throttle curves and cyclic to throttle mixing. This keeps the RPM constant throughout maneuvers, but It will not keep the RPM as constant from the beginning of a flight to the end (as the voltage drops) as a governor can.

flybar-les
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I fly with throttle curves and cyclic to throttle mixing. This keeps the RPM constant throughout maneuvers, but It will not keep the RPM as constant from the beginning of a flight to the end (as the voltage drops) as a governor can.

That is interesting... You just mix that in the radio in the mixing menu ?

This is the first time i hear of this, i'm really curious how this works :)

The poll is also giving a interesting result...

I myself do some 3D but no hard 3D, my collective management is not the bet but also not he worst, i fly FBL @ 1975rpm on a 10T and with a lifepo4 receiver pack on 3000mah 6s turnigy 30-40C and i still get barely 5min of flight time unless i keep the collective stick still.
Now i'm thinking that my lipo's are almost shot(40+ flights and those turnigy's aren't the best quality).
I'm thinking to go fly FE again to get some flight time back...

TCipolla
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I fly fixed endpoints, with a nitro though, and I use the throttle/cyclic mix. On my Futaba 7C, it's called PMix. Basically, you set the throttle to react to your cyclic stick movements. I have mine set to increase the throttle 25% when I give full aileron or full elevator. I'm sure your radio manual will have directions on how to set it up.

It works pretty well, but when I do aileron tic-tocs it still bogs down really bad. I'm only running 15% nitro though.

Andy.Kim
04-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm currently running flat 100% with the 10t pinion and I have no issues with the headspeed flying 3d. I have the 11T pinion and I'm waiting for my 3 phase sensor to get here. I'll be trying out the governor mode on the SK720 next weekend. I'm anxious to see the results.

skunkworx
04-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm a fixed E.P.'s on my electrics, but I fly governor on nitro (you almost have no other choice). The only governor I've found worth bothering with was on a Kontronik ESC, which in our size (500 and 600 class) would put it at an unreachable price point for me. If I had the cash, you can bet your boots I'd have one!

TheBum
04-10-2011, 01:28 PM
VBar governor, baby!! It has made my 6HV like a brand new heli. I get significantly more apparent power now at a lower head speed and flight times have actually increased.

One possible reason for the increase in flight time is the way the VBar governor works. Rather than sensing the motor bogging when applying a lot of pitch and reacting to the bog, it sees pitch changes in the main rotor as they happen and proactively adjusts throttle to keep the motor from bogging in the first place. Not only does it keep the head speed super consistent, but it also avoids the vast majority of motor stall current.

flybar-les
04-10-2011, 02:21 PM
yes, the V-bar governor is accoring to the rumors even better then the Kontronik governors...

i'm also in for the V-bar governor but i need a sensor...

on the other hand i want to try fixed endpoints to see if my packs last longer, now i my packs have 40 to 45 flights an they are 'cooked'.
i just saw 68 milliohms of internal resistance on the screen of my charger :mad:

if the turnigy's would have 100 flights i would find it normal but 40+ flights is'nt enough in my eyes :roll:

jhheli
04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I have flown the v bar gov and the the kontronik gov, for me I like kontronik for now, it might change later.

Raynman
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I use a align gov on my nitro - when my throttle servo shits itself, for some reason the governor does too - then I just resort to curves - cyclic management needs to be a bit more careful, but you can find tune your throttle curves for hard 3D so they dont over rpm at 0 pitch etc ........ how often do you find yourself sitting on 0 pitch when laying it down wif transitions?

I use a Flat curve 70,80,90,100 on the 500 - woteva stlye I feel like flying.

Bubba Gump
04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
On my 6hv I ran it in gov mode on the ice 80hv. Heedspped was at 2150 and that seemed to be the sweet spot. I loved it at the HS. I tryed it on flat curve with the 11t pinion and I just didnt like it, almost like needed expo on the throttle.

flybar-les
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
i'm going to try that endpoint to swash thingy for now, i'm really interested in how this works.

today i'm going to test it, i i don't like it i'm ordering a sensor for the V-bar govenor but in between i'm going to test a brand new pack with the CC governor to see what the difference is between the old and new packs regarding power/flighttime.