PDA

View Full Version : Esc/bec idea : What do you think ?

rcmarty
02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Just wondering what you thought of this idea. I want the bec to be able to unplug and be seperately powered up if need be (via adapter) and bypass the esc for safety's sake.

I make a point of making the pin that stuck out the negitive polarity.

The bec will now get soldered to the conector.

The mini connector has a firm grip for only 2 pins so the worry of it letting go during flight isn't there, it also has a bit of a tilt to it toward the esc wires. When trying to get it up plugged it's a bit of a grab and pull.

Heatshrink is out though , plan on some hot glue to fill in the gaps and insulate the connection.

Would like you opinions on this idea. Good or bad. Don't worry i can take some abuse :lol: , but let me know why you wouldn't do it.

Martin :)

aaxiss
02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
well I wouldnt put the plug so close to the battery connector myself no reason for it that I can see. Solder the mini deans to a few inches of 14-16 g silicone wire and then the other ends where you have the plug now. Also you will be able to put some proper shrink tubing on there and not mess around with trying to put enough hot glue on there to insulate it from shorting

Finless
02-27-2007, 02:08 AM
I know a few guys running a BEC off the main pack just fine!

Bob

MicroMan
02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Well you may want to incorporate this mod into your idea so the mini plug isnt so close to the main plug http://logoheli.com/esc_hookup.htm One othe thing when you disconnect your BEC how do you plan on protecting the plug from shorts?

WillJames
02-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I don't think shorts will be a big deal, but why not run a separate small li-po for the piece of mind. Makes it really easy to work with the heli setup without having to have the main power pack plugged in.

I used to run UBEC's and still have some, but after running the Li-Po RX packs and 6V regulator for the last year I doubt I will ever go back.