PDA

View Full Version : Walkera 52 flew right out of the box!!!

skunkworx
03-01-2007, 03:54 AM
Just got my DF 52, took it out of the box, charged the battery a bit, and fired it up. Hovered pretty well without touching ANYTHING!!!
Flew pretty well considering all the bad hype these models get. It's a bit squirelly and I have to adjust the sensitivity on the controls.
It sucks to try and fly over carpet as the tail likes to snag a bit. I gotta make a training kit to keep it from keeling over and trashing the blades.

I plan on improving things a bit, but not a bad start I gotta admit! This thing will totally blow you away! It's so darn small, the pictues really don't do it justice.
Downsides include a confusing manual/setup procedures, and the build quality is on the low side (Duh... Walkera) and would really benefit from some better grade materials/parts (as any machine would), but the stock stuff seems to do well enough for now!

No pics till tomarrow though...maybe crappy vid if I can figure that stuff out.

ewok_poacher
03-10-2007, 02:10 AM
I love my 52, If you need help on the setup with the controller read this-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562295

Anyone who gives this heli bad hype hasnt flown one. You will have to replace the main motor though, they do not last very long. I replaced mine with an nsr "king" 38,500rpm slot car motor.
I actually own 2 of these little guys (impulse buy on the 2cnd)

skunkworx
03-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info! I just got mine sort-of dialed in and it flys pretty well. I've busted up 7 sets of main blades in the process. I managed to get it inverted once. My settings still kinda suck, so I'll try those steps when I get more blades in.

The electronics are definately less than desireable (I think mostly the RX and GYRO are to blame). The settings are hunt-and-peck at best and my tail is very twitchy, but it is capable of getting some good flights out of it once corrected. The servos are suprisingly strong and relatively precise for Walkera stuff. Flight controls are snappy, but you have to tame them down with EXPO because they are a little too quick out of the box

My upgrades will include; B/L motor w/8A ESC, TP 370mA or higher battery and an AR6000 or AR6100 RX for my DX7. I'll see if they make a small enough gyro for it as well.

We'll see how it all turns out in the near future!

kgfly
03-26-2007, 02:58 AM
You could try the GY191 piezo ( http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_detail.asp?pid=GY191 ) or the Logictech 2100T ( http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=138380 ). These are both small and light.

GY191 (piezo): 20x20x10mm, 5.7g, approx USD$55
L2100T (SMM): 22x22x11mm, 10g , approx USD$105

skunkworx
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the tip Kgfly! I just put in another order of main blades yesterday, so it might be a while before I can get it all together. I also nose dived my T-rex into the ground last Thursday and was out of town, so I wasn't anywhere near a hobby shop.

I found another post where someone said they made their own blades. I might try that or use some Mini Zoom/Zap blades, maybe get the bell/hiller head parts to mod it as well.

Anyone else thought of a way to re-mount the tail motor/tail shaft so that it won't twist around?

kgfly
03-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Note that your choice of gyro might also be limited by the available mounting location and the gyro orientation. The GY191 has to stand up on one edge with the labelled face vertical. The 2100T has to lie down with the labelled face parallel to the ground/sky.

skunkworx
03-27-2007, 01:17 AM
The hobby shop here recommended mounting it under the frame or make a small bracket off the back. I'll have to check around a bit to see what's available here.
Looks like I'll have to research quite a bit more to get the most out of it.

One of my LHS said they have the stuff to get it going. Just spent $150 on spares for my t-rex so I can't do anything till next payday.