PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE* HELP with build please!

PowerStroke
05-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Just got my 500esp in this week and started the build today. Already ran into a issue installing the flybar. When I put it thru the rotor housing the rotor housing became stiff. It still moves but not freely. I made a video to help explain. I removed the flybar cage for the video. Is this a big problem or continue with the build?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFxDvp1YE8

Mike2112
05-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Looks OK. Can't feel it from here, but it will loosen up fine in flight I bet. How tight is it really? Will a small weight move it? or is it really binding?

PowerStroke
05-13-2011, 09:03 PM
It doesnt take much pressure to move it. Just concerned me because I thoguht it was supposed to be really loose. Like you said it will probably loosen up.
Thanks

memosteve
05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Looks fine...

DKS_ONE
05-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm no master for sure, but when you had the camera up close with the flybar in place moving the rotor head back and forth, I could see the flybar spinning/rotating. Looks like it's touching on one side of the rotor head. Are the mounts for the flybar seesaw in right IE: correct number of washers on each side? If so, then likely it'll wear in, but I would double check to make sure the seesaw is centered correctly on the rotor head. I don't disagree with above, it doesn't look bad, but when you secure the flybar and prevent it from rotating, it'll probably be just a bit worse even. So, just make sure seesaw is centered. I don't see it causing you flight issues, but why wonder right? :)

PowerStroke
05-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the help!

Discman
05-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Make sure not to get any Loctite in the bearings. That could cause binding.

Richard F.
05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
didnt it look like the flybar was hard to push in? is the flybar bent at all? did you roll it on some glass?

lankey
05-14-2011, 07:45 AM
I had the same issue but probably worse than that. Turned out to be some poor tolerances in the seesaw which a replacement fixed!

bad007
05-14-2011, 09:46 AM
:clap:clapI had the same issue but probably worse than that. Turned out to be some poor tolerances in the seesaw which a replacement fixed!
The flybar has to be hitting the inside of the head and one of the two has a problem.

memosteve
05-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I just checked mine... It's totally smooth and free, so I'll recant my previous statement and go with something is binding slightly.

Look and see if the flybar is hitting the side of the hub.

PowerStroke
05-14-2011, 06:26 PM
There is no doubt that it is hitting inside the hub. I just didn't know if it will affect flight. It moves but with a slight resistance. The flybar is not bent. I suspect that the seesaw if slightly out of alignment cause it to contact inside the hub.

bad007
05-14-2011, 06:54 PM
There is no doubt that it is hitting inside the hub. I just didn't know if it will affect flight. It moves but with a slight resistance. The flybar is not bent. I suspect that the seesaw if slightly out of alignment cause it to contact inside the hub.
Affect flight? Correct it or suffer from vibes and tracking issues from the head being out of ballance. Find out which part is defective and replace it. The build is no go like that.

Mateyhv
05-15-2011, 10:21 AM
:clap:clap
The flybar has to be hitting the inside of the head and one of the two has a problem.

Exactly, have a look at the bar passing through the head. It must be hitting somewhere. If so try to find if the flybar is bent/the hole in the head is offset/the seesaw have some problem so the flybar could not pass through the center of the hole.

If the bar is touching somewhere it may solve in a couple of flights but you are correct assuming the flybar should move freely, so better check that point again.

PowerStroke
05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I had the same issue but probably worse than that. Turned out to be some poor tolerances in the seesaw which a replacement fixed!

Did you contact Align for the replacement?
Thanks

lankey
05-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Did you contact Align for the replacement?
Thanks

I would have done mate, but the kit was bought from HK and not worth the hassle of returning. One of the pitfalls of buying cheap from the far east.

As soon as that seesaw was screwed down onto the block I knew there was an issue. Double checked all bearings were seated etc. To the OP, I suggest you strip the head back to the seesaw and check for smooth operation.

End of the day Align kits are pretty high volume, so the odd QC issue is likely.... had quite a few over the years, and if I buy local the offending parts get shipped back for replacement.

tomra
05-16-2011, 06:46 AM
You could try to rotate the seesaw 180˚ degrees axial to the main shaft. Also roll the flybar on a flat surface. Most of mine has been slightly bent but not more than what can be straightned by hand.

PowerStroke
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Seesaw was the problem, I received the new seesaw today, it works perfect now.
Thanks for help / suggestions.

lankey
05-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Seesaw was the problem, I received the new seesaw today, it works perfect now.
Thanks for help / suggestions.

Glad it's sorted now mate.