PDA

View Full Version : Switching Heads?

Varc
05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey there. I've got the Walkera V200DQ01 Airwolf that I've been working on. You've seen my thread in the scale forums.
I finally got some nice gray aluminum head pieces to replace the funky orange parts that clash with the Airwolf's paint scheme. I've so far removed the blade grips, detached the ball-linkages from the swashplate, and am now trying to remove the main head piece. However, there is a damn pin in there that is being a royal pain in the ass. Pardon my French, but I am furious with this pin right now! ARRRRRRRRRGH!
How in the fudge do I remove it without damaging anything? As usual, it's the one and only little part that is preventing me from finishing this project. I hate it!
The gray metal version does come with it's own pin, so it's really no loss if I lose it or whatever. I just don't want to damage anything else that's part of the helicopter.
Here's a picture of the pin I'm trying to remove. You can see a tiny silver dot on the lower section of the orange head piece.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC02561.jpg

And right now it's really pissing me off. So it's probably a good time to walk the dog right now. Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove this SOB? No, not the dog, the pin.

Magooch
05-15-2011, 01:10 PM
I used a small finish nail to get it to stick out far enough for some needle nose pliers to grab ahold of it. It is a pita. Guess you could use some other pin. Good luck

Varc
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
What is a finish nail? I have tried some tiny allen wrenches and they didn't budge the pin.
I was wondering if I could use heat to expand the aluminum enough that the pin will slide out easier. But I don't want to use heat if it'll hurt the shaft.

Varc
05-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Well, can't find a suitable heat source to try my idea. I still can't get the fudger to budge at all. It's really pissing me off at this point.
Why is it that one tiny little part can prevent me from finishing my projects? I know as soon as that little pin is out I'm home free.
I'm so fed up right now don't know what to do. I don't want to give up cause then it'll never be finished. I can't rely on Dad to help me out this time cause he's gone on a trip for a month.
ARRRRRRRGH! If only I can get this thing to fudge just enough so I can grab it with pliers, I'll be fine.

Magooch
05-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Toss it in the oven 250-300, for 20 min and give it a go. Shaft is harder metal and should't be affected by low heat. Im not a metallurgist though. I have read about people doing this with various parts.

Varc
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Can't do that. The mechanics are still inside the Airwolf fuselage. I was hoping to do all this without having to remove the fuselage cause it's also a pain in the ass to do.
I do have a tiny little hand-held blow-torch which I tried. It got the piece hot, but the pin still wouldn't budge.
I can not believe this piece refuses to move. There are no c-clips on either end that I can see. I don' know why it won't move at all.

Magooch
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Ahh... It may be easier to work on with it torn down, jmo. Hope you get it out :thumbup: It helps to do something else for a while if your frustrated. Works for me. :peace

Varc
05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Yea, not sure what though.
I still got my V450 to work on, and it's no where near this frustrating, just tedious with all the linkages for the retracts.
I wanted to FINISH this project before actually working on the 450. It's just one stupid little pin that's preventing me from doing so. And no, I can't live with that funky orange head much longer. It really clashes with the paint scheme as mentioned before. I know as soon as the grey head is on there, she'll be as beautiful as she was meant to be.
It's just this one damn little piece.

Magooch
05-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybe airwolf doesn't want to be fp. She is refusing to go back in the air.

Varc
05-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe airwolf doesn't want to be fp. She is refusing to go back in the air.

That helps a lot. :roll:

john aeras
05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey Marc, try heating the pin with a soldering iron, then tap it with your nail or whatever fits and a hammer.
(put something underneath , so the pin can move as you tap from the other side)

Magooch
05-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry I couldn't resist :rotf... Have you had this off before? Soldering iron or your pen torch should do the trick. Maybe you need to let it heat up little more.

Varc
05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks guy's. I've even tried WD40 hoping to loose in it. No luck. I wonder what the hell they did to make it fit so damn tight. Did the bastards weld this fudger in place or something?
I might try the heat thing again, it did get the metal hot enough that I didn't want to touch it, but it didn't hurt anything else. Perhaps I'll heat it longer see if that'll get it loose. I just hope that isn't actually going to weld it in worse.
I've got picks, rubber-mallet, pins, lot's of things of same diameter to try and push it out. Nothing's working so far. Getting very frustrated right now. The more it fights me, the more I want that damn thing out of there. And the more annoying the orange is becoming! LOL!

Magooch
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM
You will not bond the metal, your softest is aluminum and it has a melting point of about +1200 deg. Your safe, your probably fighting the loctite or whatever they used to secure the pin.

Varc
05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Yahoo! I win!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC02562.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC02563.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC02564.jpg

Actually, the softest part was the plastic fuselage surrounding it! LOL! Luckily, no damage there or anywhere else.

Loctite you say? Does that mean when I insert the new piece I need to locktite it as well? If so what type?

Anyway, now it's just a matter of installing the nice gray pieces! Hopefully, putting the new pin in won't be as damn difficult! :D

Sorry for the lousy images, my camera does that when it's low on battery. Plus, it's a 10 year old camera.

Magooch
05-15-2011, 05:18 PM
:thumbup:
I use green loctite, it penetrates. Blue will work also.

Varc
05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Does it need to be loctited? I already installed it and it was a press-fit. Hopefully it won't fly apart on me! LOL! Now that would suck after all this work.................................

Pic's coming soon after camera and helicopter are done charging. :D

Dave S
05-16-2011, 12:39 AM
A finishing nail is one that is fairly small (though they do come it different sizes) and the have almost no head on them. What I'd suggest is using one of those, or there's another kind of nail known as a wire brad which is even thinner. Anyway, what's worked for me is to find a place and position on my work bench that I can support the head without getting in the way of the pin. Then take the finishing nail, wire brad (or a small punch would work, too) and a small hammer (like a Tac hammer) and start tapping on the pin with the end of whatever you're using. BTW, a punch (you can get one at your local hardware store and they come in sizes small enough for what you need). You'll want to tap, tap, tap, rather than giving it a big whack, so you don't slip off and damage the head. Anyway, I think if you do it this way you'll get that pesky pin out and be on your way. Good luck!

EDIT:: You obviously had success and posted it while I was writing what I said above! Congrats! And IMHO you probably don't need loctite, but it can't hurt. Enjoy your new gray parts!

Varc
05-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I'll be posting pictures of it in The Lady's Finished thread that I posted in the scale section. I'll also post pics of the finished head here as well since it's on topic.

Varc
05-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Here's the completed head.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC02566.jpg

Magooch
05-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Much better than the orange :thumbup: Looks good.