PDA

View Full Version : E-flite Aluminum Tail Case set

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 09:29 PM
So I'm starting to upgrade my blade to some aluminum parts and I have some questions for anyone who may have the experience. The tail case came with two small bolts, 2 aluminum washer (looks like the ones used on the motor mount on the outside of the main frame) 1 medium bolt, 1 long bolt and a nut that seems to have a small but of black plastic nears the outside of the bolt. So I'm guessing the two small bolts and washers are to mount the vertical stabilizer, which leaves the long bolt to attach the pitch lever which would leave the medium bolt to adjust tightness at the front of the tail case. So shouldn't I have two bolts, one for the pitch lever and one for the tightness? Also should I use loctight on the bolt that came with the kit? Am I going about this the wrong way? Any tips comments and suggestions are appreciated!

sharpblue4d
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Do you have a pictures?

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1463A#quickOverview

sharpblue4d
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
The short with washers should be for the tail fin mount, medium and long will be for the tail pitch control arm and to clamp the assembly on the boom. See which lenght works best for the control arm and the other with the nut for the clamp.

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok so I guess I'll use the bolt from my old tail case to secure the tail pitch lever. So do I use loctight on the bolt to tighten the tail case? I'm pretty sure the bolt with the plastic tail case had plastic so I probly shouldn't use loctight on that

Cailid
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Use loctite on any screw that goes into metal.

On the eflite metal tail, you'll find that the slider wears out real fast so keep an eye on it. The 2 little brass tabs will wear right into the metal.

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok so I checked and the metal tail pitch level I have on the plastic tail case on my heli doesn't have a nut, the bolt screws into the plastic of the tail case.... so that means I only have 1 nut but it seems like I should have two

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
actually it looks like the long bolt screws into the tail case so I'll just use loctight and the bolt on the tension. Ok I think I have it all figured out but I have one last question. should this tail case flex and is it possible for me to easily overtighten the tail and bend the tail case and break the tail boom?

sharpblue4d
05-18-2011, 09:59 PM
When you tighten the tail holder it will just clamp the boom. Wouldnt think that it would bend but don't be super man with it. Does it have a pin to keep the tail housing from rotating on the boom?

Cailid
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Don't tighten very much. The metal is soft and it's easy to strip a screw.

Another thing is the metal tail doesn't have the tab that fits into the hole in the boom to stop it from twisting on the boom like the plastic tail does. Use a bit of sandpaper and very lightly scuff up the boom a bit right where the front of the tail case will be then just use a drop of loctite there to help hold the tail from twisting.

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Don't tighten very much. The metal is soft and it's easy to strip a screw.

Another thing is the metal tail doesn't have the tab that fits into the hole in the boom to stop it from twisting on the boom like the plastic tail does. Use a bit of sandpaper and very lightly scuff up the boom a bit right where the front of the tail case will be then just use a drop of loctite there to help hold the tail from twisting.

That sounds like some sound advice, I think I'll do that thanks

sharpblue4d
05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I reccommend pinning the boom if it doesn't have one to prevent it from turning. My 500 tail holder spun on the boom and it was not pretty...

Cailid
05-18-2011, 10:14 PM
One other thing about the metal eflite tail. It uses flanged bearings instead of the normal ones the plastic tailcase does so don't forget to get some spares. The bearings are 3x8x3.

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 10:16 PM
The boom does have a circle cut out and seems to respond with the circle at the end of the opening thats used to add tension. Not sure if I can use that to keep them from shifting

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 10:17 PM
One other thing about the metal eflite tail. It uses flanged bearings instead of the normal ones the plastic tailcase does so don't forget to get some spares. The bearings are 3x8x3.

what is the difference and why would I need spares?

Cailid
05-18-2011, 10:23 PM
what is the difference and why would I need spares?

Bearings will wear out in normal use. And they wear out REAL fast in a crash. A bearing that's running rough can cause vibrations.

This is the flanged bearing for the metal tail.

http://helidirect.com/images/helicopters/helicopter_upgrades/eflite/blade_400/EFLH1412.jpg

http://helidirect.com/eflite-bearing-3x8x3-flanged-b400-p-13254.hdx

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Ok so one last questions, when I'm using loctight on the long bolt for the tail pitch lever, I'm always used to applying the loctight to the bolt first but I very much doubt I'll be able to get it through the shaft without getting any loctight in that shaft that allows it to swing freely. Should I use loctight on the nut?

Cailid
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
You can apply the loctite to the threads in the nut or put a little on the end of the screw after it's in place.

sharpblue4d
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Put the bolt through the pitch control link arm and part shoul dbe sticking out the end. You can then loctite the tip of the threads

patricktytgat
05-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Great thanks guys! I'm always amazed at the speed in which I can get answers on this forum!

CoolKD
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
to bad you all ready bought the Eflite tail, coz it's not of good quality. Hope you have better luck then me. I ended up putting a complete Trex 450 V2 tail on it. Mush batter quality.
So again hope it works out for you. And keep a CLOSE eye on the pitchslider and bearings on that thing, it's not great quality.
Good Luck

Primeval
05-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Is the TREX tail a direct bolt on replacement?

CoolKD
05-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Is the TREX tail a direct bolt on replacement?
Yes it is. I used a Trex belt too.
Just the tailcase tho, not the Align boom.