Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default is the 600N under powered ?

with an os50 engine , how good is the heli in a 3d flight ?
hadi10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no problems with mine, and my 3D is pretty lame.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi10 View Post
with an os50 engine , how good is the heli in a 3d flight ?
This 600 should have an OS-50 in it. There are numerous other helis out there doing great 3D flight with an OS-50.

ADDED:

More OS-50 T-Rex 600N videos:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...713#post290713

Last edited by Bob O; 05-21-2011 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: add link
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my opinion, for the average Joe yes!! There's a reason the OS55 and other more powerful alternatives have become so popular, and that's because once you've flown a 90 sized nitro a 600 with the OS50 seems weak. The OS55 doesn't quite get it there, but it makes is a lot closer!

Absolutely a pro can fly the snot out of a 600 with an OS50 in it, but honestly I doubt you could find any of them still flying an OS50 on a 600.

Since you're asking I do feel compelled to say that if you're not yet at a 3D level of skill, you'd probably do better to get an OS50 to cut your teeth on and then upgrade when you feel you need more power. The 50 is plenty to learn on! Also, the OS55 can be a handful to tune and if you burn one up you've got a lot more invested in it. I personally stripped the header on my first OS50 and burned up a second with a lean run before moving up to the 55, so I saved money starting on used 50's if you can follow that logic.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1, very well put and couldn't agree more
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER View Post
In my opinion, for the average Joe yes!! There's a reason the OS55 and other more powerful alternatives have become so popular, and that's because once you've flown a 90 sized nitro a 600 with the OS50 seems weak. The OS55 doesn't quite get it there, but it makes is a lot closer!

Absolutely a pro can fly the snot out of a 600 with an OS50 in it, but honestly I doubt you could find any of them still flying an OS50 on a 600.

Since you're asking I do feel compelled to say that if you're not yet at a 3D level of skill, you'd probably do better to get an OS50 to cut your teeth on and then upgrade when you feel you need more power. The 50 is plenty to learn on! Also, the OS55 can be a handful to tune and if you burn one up you've got a lot more invested in it. I personally stripped the header on my first OS50 and burned up a second with a lean run before moving up to the 55, so I saved money starting on used 50's if you can follow that logic.
Now you tell me. I hate tuning my 55. Great points sonic. For what most of us fly a 50 should be fine.

However, for those like myself that are mostly sport flyers but try some 3D, the extra power helps smooth out my crappy collective managment. I think with a 50 it would bog a lot more.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

my 50 bogs pretty bad when i do a flip..! although i have a gov. installed . but it bogs and headspeed is reduced pretty bad that i cant do 2 flips in a row..!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
my 50 bogs pretty bad when i do a flip..! although i have a gov. installed . but it bogs and headspeed is reduced pretty bad that i cant do 2 flips in a row..!
Too low a head speed?

Motor tuned too rich?

Too much collective?

Flips don't demand much power.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
Too low a head speed?

Motor tuned too rich?

Too much collective?

Flips don't demand much power.
problem is , im 1 click away from HOT.
if i lean the mixture 1 click , the back plate turns hot , i have ruined 2 pistons/ sleeves before and i dont want to invest in a new one because of the engine getting hot.!
ive watched the finless vid. on tunning , it helped but not much..!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Don't lean it anymore then.

What % nitro are you running?

There's a huge difference between 20% and 30% on my OS-55. If you're running 20%, I'd say go to 30%.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

im actually running 30..! byron rotor rage..!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it's a tuning issue, check out smacktalkrc episode 1, great info on what to look for in tuning an engine!
For the record, I have enough power for continuous tic tocs with OS55 and 15% nitro, granted my heli is FBL. I think it produces more power than a Hyper on 30%
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
problem is , im 1 click away from HOT.
if i lean the mixture 1 click , the back plate turns hot , i have ruined 2 pistons/ sleeves before and i dont want to invest in a new one because of the engine getting hot.!
ive watched the finless vid. on tunning , it helped but not much..!
Lean isn't always the best way to make power. Try richening it up a few clicks just to see if it helps with the bog. I make plenty enough power with my 50 in my 600 and it runs completely cold.

Another thing to note is to make sure you don't have your head setup for absolutely crazy pitch ranges. I setup my head for 13 and 9 max. From there I turned it down using my radio till it was manageable for the helicopter. I don't like a crazy amount of pop, plus I'm already using stick banger blades which I love, so this setup works well for me.
lolramen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also with the 50 many times you're better off with the idle a little rich and coaxing it through spool-up versus a leaner idle that bleeds into your main needle. Shortly after I was happy with my "newly tuned" idle is when I blew a piston on my 50....lesson learned. You should be able to make enough power to do a solid inverted climbout from an inverted hover with the 50, much less consecutive flips.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
Now you tell me. I hate tuning my 55. Great points sonic. For what most of us fly a 50 should be fine.

However, for those like myself that are mostly sport flyers but try some 3D, the extra power helps smooth out my crappy collective managment. I think with a 50 it would bog a lot more.
Power is addictive and we can never get enough, no doubt! What pipe are you running?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Outrage HR55. i went the economical root when I set up the bird. It is a ggod pipe from what I am told but I am not getting all the power I could with a better pipe like a 320 or OS power boost. I like the look of the new Evolution from Outrage but I am wiating for them to be out for a while.

When I say I hate tuning I mean I just get frustrated not being able to get it perfect. I think a single needle is better for me. I have ended on running pretty rich as I burnt a couple pistons running just slightly lean when I thought I was rich. Live and learn.

Sorry for the Hyjack
Old 05-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GP-Exhaust55 pipe makes tons of power and saves fuel because the mid runs fairly lean while keeping the engine cool. It installs easy and has the widest, most forgiving tune based on my research. I actually had trouble with the mid initially because I just couldn't make myself take it down near 1/2 turn without encouragement from others.

There's a thread here by a guy that had trouble with the Outrage Evo55 being consistent. I was surprised because I loved the Outrage on my 50.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

OS50 still good in 3D flight, nice and sweet but not for hard pitch shake. This engine can do tic toc for well, but not too hard.

However, the 55 engine is more popular, why not choose it? More power, price is good.
Almasy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many of you that used to fly the 600n on a hyper 50 really thought "I need more power"??? I am learning 3d on a 600n with a hyper 50 and have never felt the need for more power. I have also seen videos of Alan Szabo doing awesome flights with a 600n on a hyper 50 and thought 'I am nowhere near the limits of this engine'. Some people always need to have the latest stuff though and if that makes them feel good, then fair enough!
dsankey1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in