PDA

View Full Version : Can I test reciever with just transmitter

DeanK
03-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Is it possible to test a receiver (AR6100) without having anything other than a transmitter? I thought about powering it from a battery and using LED to see if I'm getting a signal from the transmitter but I'm not sure how to connect it.

WayneBrown
03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
JR makes a DSC cord that allows you to power the reciever up, connect the cord to the transmitter and not transmit any RF.
May not be exactly what you are looking for..
You WILL want to power the RX from a separate power supply and not through an ESC and flight batteries by unplugging the ESC from the RX.

DeanK
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
How many volts does the battery need to have to power AR6100 with it? And how can I then see if it's receieving signal from the TX, can I check the pins with a voltmeter or something?

As of now I don't have any other RC equipment besides DX7 and AR6100. I want to test range to make sure everything works fine because I had some problems with the transmitter (burned the fuse).

WayneBrown
03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Now you have my interest... ;)
Short of plugging in servos, I can't think of a way to check the operation of the system.
If you blew the fuse in the TX, chances are you either plugged it in while the wall charger was powered up, used the wrong charger, or had the polarity reversed.
JR radios are notorious for not holding the fuse properly after changing a blown one, rough handling will spread the fuse holder apart slightly and not hold the fuse securely. Correct this by squeezing the fuse holder together slightly before installing the replacement fuse.
Now back to the issue of powering the RX, any 4 cell nicd or nimh pack should work, there should have been one that came with the radio set new.
FWIW; the output leads on the reciever is three pins, two of which are voltage constant. + and -, the third is a signal lead that will operate the servo.
If you don't know what you are doing, you could burn up the reciever. Better to use a servo and keep it safe.

Danal Estes
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
As wayne said, you really need a servo and a receiver battery pack. The only other options are even more expensive or exotic.

Keep in mind that any servo will work, just for testing. Visit a local flying field and see if you can talk someone out of a "works, but too suspect to fly" servo for $5 or something...

Until you get a servo, yes, the light is a good indicator of proper operation.

stevehonn
03-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Surely if you connect a battery to the 6100 then turn on the transmitter, if the orange led in the receiver doesn't come on as a solid light then it's not connected to the transmitter? This only tests the link between the two but won't tell you anything about servo operation.

MicroMan
03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I wanted to do something similar so what I did was hook up the supplied harness to the Rx, then I installed a AA 4 dry cell case and the bind plugs to one side of the harness. Voila its alive and kicking its nice to see those two orange lights come on.