PDA

View Full Version : Another tail motor option?

Stealthpilot
03-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Has anyone tried using the Axe Cp tail motor on a Blade? It looks to be a more robust motor. Kinda looks like a DD tail motor but with a gear. I just read the review of the Axe CP in R/C Heli mag and they said it was the best motor driven tail setup they flown. It "looks" like it would bolt right up? but its kinda $$ at 30 bucks.

slikrx
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
:cheers

Good find! I may have to give that a try if my current motors give up the ghost....

Buzzkill
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I've seen post where people have tried it but I havent heard the results. Has to be better than the stock motor probably heavy tho.

blade trex pro123
03-13-2007, 05:30 PM
buy a dual motor setup :D at (micoheli.com) make my blade cp pro more stable and has much more tail power!!! :WOW and it will last alot!! longer.

ch47dfe
03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
My buddy at work installed that tail motor on his CP pro a couple weeks ago. He says the thing works like a charm and is totally happy with it. He says its seems to handle the tail a lot better with a lot less struggling that the stock motor. I am going to install it on mine-just haven't had time to go get one. Based on the size of the motor- it should last a lot longer that stock too.

Stealthpilot
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Thats what I was thinking ch47dfe. If your buddy put it on his CPP it must bolt on then? Im thinking I want to get it as well. It cant be heaver than a dual motor setup I would think?

ch47dfe, are you still crewing Chinooks? Im a ch47dsi over in Iraq right now.

Buzzkill
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
The stock tail motor mount isnt made for a round motor. That seems to be the only small thing that needs to tweaked for either the Axe or the GWS tail motor same with the brushless setup.

Stealthpilot
03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
After looking at the stock tail mount I dont think you'd have trouble mounting a round motor in it. The spot in the stock mount where the flat sides of the stock motor go are open in the stock plastic mount, so it "looks" like it would fit?

Buzzkill
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Myself and others have elongated the stock screw holes in the tail motor mount. It will fit but the holes will have to be slightly adjusted.

ch47dfe
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
My buddy at work used a dremel to open up the hole to accept the AXE tail motor and adjusted the screws ti fit. I just bought one today and hope to install it this weekend.

Stealthpilot- Answer to your question- I'm still crewing Chinnoks. I've been working on Chinooks for about 18 years now. I'm in the CTARNG as a full time WG12 tech. On the drill side I'm a SSG-squad leader. Your in Iraq now? I was in Afghanistan in 2003-2004 at Kandahar airbase. We have a few pictures on the internet- you may have seen a few. One that stands out is the Chinnok, tail # 264 landing on a small roof of a hut in the mountains- that was my acft picking up Taliban prisoners. My unit was Gco 104th avn, we were attatched to the 82nd and 18th airborne. So you are an SI? How long have you been crewing? We are scheduled to go back soon-don't know exactly when yet. Well don't want to go on and on but its cool to see a fellow hooker out there. keep in touch and be safe over there, I know exactly what your going through and get back safe.

Paul

ch47dfe
03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I found the picture of me in Afghanistan I was telling you about

Stealthpilot
03-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Cool man, sent ya a PM. Post up some pics of that Axe motor when you get her done, let us know how she flies.

slikrx
03-16-2007, 10:00 AM
I found the picture of me in Afghanistan I was telling you about
So you are with those guys? DAMN!

Man, I remember the first time I saw that pic. (3+ years ago now?) STill imrpessive.

damned good flying..

Then again, I'm pretty dang impressed by pretty much everything our troops are doing. (no, tht's not a political statemnt ;) )