PDA

View Full Version : V400D02 servos

Pages : [1] 2

chris_h
06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
im on my 2nd set of servos, 2 nights ago taking a blade off and being as careful as i can i felt a slight click from the ELEV servo and shure enough a tooth on a gear broke off, to me this brings up a safety issue about weak materials being used, a new person to the hobby like myself might not think anything of it if i hadn't already had stripped servo gears but i believe a servo malfunction in flight like this could have a bad ending.
anyway im looking for better servos but im not shure whats compatible with this heli, id like to find a metal gear kit for these servos but any info on options and were to look would be greatly appreciated.

rojack
06-05-2011, 02:20 AM
There has been a lot of talk about V400D02 servos already in this section of the forum. Here are a couple of recent threads about this topic:

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=307435

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=301813

Search around a little in HeliFreak for V400D02 and servos and you'll see what I mean.

Phlyers
06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi Chris. Yup the stock servos are juuuuuuunk. I realized mine were gone when I was trying to put a blade holder on. The blades had to be tilted back so when I did I heard the elevator servo go.

I put the EXI D213's on. Metal gear. Real nice servo and cheap. Hobbypartz has them for $7.70 You dont need to modify the original servo brackets but you will need some M2 screws, washers and nuts. Blayd helped me with my mod of them. He's the man!!!!

chris_h
06-07-2011, 01:46 AM
thank you, and blayd has been a big help, ive been so busy i havent had the time to read all the posts as id like to.
im going to order a few of those servos the next chance i get to sit down and do that, im hoping hobbypartz has those M2 screws too.

chris_h
06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
which M2 screws are you referring too? a search on hobbypartz came up with 36 results for M2 screws,
theve got on sale for $6 T-Pro MG90s metal gear servo's that looks like they would fit,

Phlyers
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I didn't get the hardware on Hobbypartz's site. I think thats going to be a local hobby shop thing. Don't bother with Lowes. I tried there and the smallest they have are M4's. Hone Depot MIGHT. I'm not positive.
which M2 screws are you referring too? a search on hobbypartz came up with 36 results for M2 screws,
theve got on sale for $6 T-Pro MG90s metal gear servo's that looks like they would fit,

Blayd
06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Most local hobby shops got M2's in different lengths...I think I used M2x6. Maybe M2x4... I have some downstairs.. I'll look later. Its a good idea to start stocking up and stuff like this.. they are common on alot of helis.. M2's, M3's, in various lemgths.. theyre cheap but you'll use them ...I keeep a stock of ALOT of hardware.. after all.. fixing these, and most helis.. is alittle bit engineering, and alittle bit modification. :thumbup:

chris_h
06-16-2011, 03:34 PM
""

Blayd
06-17-2011, 06:44 PM
chris... did you find the screws locally? I looked just now.. I used M2x6 screws, M2 washers, and M2 nuts from Dubro.. got them at the local hobby shop. Also, I prefer the screws and nuts and washers.. but.. I do also have a V400 flying with just wire holding the servos in. I don't recommend this.. but it does work. Not pretty, but it works...my #2 V400 took a nasty crash awhile back, and those servos didn't budge. AND didn't strip. I mean that V400 went nose down, broke a skid, split the canopy, and delaminated a blade, but those servos were still working and didn't move. I suggest the screws and nuts, but the wire method has worked and is faster and easier, and, as much as I REALLY prefer screws and nuts... very secure.

Oh and I almost forgot.. those T Pro servos were the first ones I looked at for replacements on the V400, I think they will fit as well... but I decided to go with the EXI's as they were mostly metal gear. ( Not all the gears are metal.. but the ones that torque the servo arm are, they take the hit on a crash most..) for a little over a buck more, the EXI's were my choice. I will admit, at first I thought the EXI's were ALL metal. But I have learned a few things about all metal servos.
plastic, isn't really bad.....you actually WANT things to give in a crash to save other things. Its just that the stock servos had VERY fine teeth and weren't the best application for flybarless. There are alot of debates on all metal vs partial metal geared servos. Alot of higher end metal gear servos are actually partials.. they have metal in the top end and alot have plastic on the bottom end. Some are indeed all metal. Both my 500's are flybarred.. so there's alot of things to take the brunt of a crash before the servos get hit.. on a flybarless heli.. its a direct hit. But lets face it.. in a good crash... everything gets a taste of the action...Servos are another one of those things.. person choice.

chris_h
06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
no i havent but ive got that on my list and im going to look into the EXI's and make an order SAT or SUN for that and some other parts i should have on hand.

SpadCat
06-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Finally, our main LHS re-opened in a new larger location, so the first thing I bought were the Hi-tech 5055 servos. Same price that is on the internet:bacon. The T-Pro 90s and the Corona digital mg all have held up very well, so I will leave them in place and use the Hitecs for V400#1 which is of course waiting for the Guru X frame, that is still....PROCESSING:mad:.... at HeliFever! Actually, I am not really mad as it is my decision to keep the frame on order and not cancel, not only because I am stubborn, but I want to see how long it takes before I am notified that it has shipped or is on back order. Also, it does help to have two other airworthy V400s that satisfy my urge to fly.

I don't see anything wrong with the wire mounting method in this particular application. At least it would be easy to disassemble and reassemble if servo needed repair/replacement, and you don't have to locktite it (and go through the hassle of removing a stubborn locktited soft screw when the time comes to do so, and it will).

SpadCat

hilo69
06-18-2011, 03:18 AM
i met bl rustler n he used dental floss on my servoes and ca and i was saprised it worked realy well ! went to go show him some setings on the 2603 and to show him how well n stabel the v400do2 is ,but wen i got ther my tail rotor brand new one flew off from being in the pack pack n tail was stiking out! then bl told me that hobby people has a new heli called the mystery its the v400d02 but diferent name so the tail rotor is the same as the v400d02 !so now if need parts for v400d02 i can go to the hobby shop n get them ,so i got the tail rotor n had just put on my new canopy i had for 5 munthes n was saveing till i crashed les to put it on then on my way home the back pack ziper came undun and my heli was barely in the pack but the canopy was gone the tx was fine and almoest lost the heli so it could be werst! so i went to wow hobbys n got a new canopy but they punch holes biger in ther canopy so the canopy doesnt fit snug on the heli i use ruberbands or grometes ,but im trying a piece of ruber tubeing to hold the canopy on weel see?

SpadCat
06-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Wow, that was a close one and tail rotors are cheap! Many years ago, I lost a brand new car stereo off my 750's rack because I did not have the bungi cord on good enough.

I was thinking of going out early in the morning to fly some FF at the school, but it is quite breezy right now. Hope it calms down. I know the V400 is very capable in the wind, but except for hovering, I have very little windy FF experience.

SpadCat

SpadCat
06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
I use real thin rubber bands to hold the canopy on. Very easy and I don't care if I lose one.

SpadCat

Blayd
06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Spad.. great news on the LHS....
Yeah, as much as I like to have a screw and nut on things.. I just have to admit, the wire method is holding up. #2 took a serious hit a few eeks ago, and those servos didnt budge. It aint pretty, but its functional, and its solid.

Hilo...
Yeah, the Mystery is the V400 re branded. I think its actually been re branded a few times now. Great that you can get parts now.

SpadCat
06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, in full scale aircraft, it is called safety wire. I like nuts and bolts also, but I am not above trying any other technique for fastening as long as it works and is safe.

Love those HS-5055's. As near as drop in as possible and no need to turn receiver around or reverse the servos.

SpadCat

Blayd
06-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Yep.. those servos are just like the EXI's in that you dont need to turn them or reverse anything.. The ONLY eason I didnt go with them... well, yeah.. I'm cheap. But,
Just so its out there.. I run Hitec's on both my 500's. :thumbup:

Dave S
06-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I, too, prefer bolts and nuts, but I gotta second what Blayd said about the wire solution. I only have one V400 (so far... sigh), and I've worked on putting it through hell. I went to the wire installation of EXI servos a little while back, and they consistently survive. I managed to put mine on the roof yesterday, and head in... managed to fly it back behind me and got disoriented... a little help from the wind, but mostly the pilot. Anyway, snapped the tail motor holder, split the canopy (in several places), broke a skid pipe (Super Skid at that!), delaminated one blade (I wonder if it's OK to CA it back together, it's not far apart... we'll see), and I got lucky that the motor slid forward, so there were just a few gear teeth roughed up but still OK. Also, the Rx mount was bent at a jaunty 45 angle. BUT, the servos are totally fine!!!

So, I dunno, but I think the wire attachments, while obviously quite secure, might confer some flexibility in a crash. Anyway, it's off to the bench after I write this, and while there's stuff to fix/replace, I have the parts and a strong sense of relief that I don't have to replace any servos... the rest seems much easier!

inner3
06-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have a video as to how they are mounting the servos with wire? I'm very interested in trying this out.

inner3
06-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Also where are you buying these servos at?

Blayd
06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I got the EXI D213F servos from Hobbypartz.com.....http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html

Dave S
06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey inner3 - Just posted this pic on another tread, too. I put the link here cuz it doesn't seem like I can get the pic to upload a second time! This is the way I've done it...http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=3023876#post3023876

chris_h
06-21-2011, 12:33 AM
wish i could order from there but they dont take paypal.

Dave S
06-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Just felt like boasting a tad... after last week's "visit" to the roof, I replaced the tail/motor holder (haven't tried the chopstick cure yet, but maybe next time), new blades, new canopy, rechecked and reset everything and fired 'er up. What a delight to see it lift straight up, like it was on a pole, and with no cyclic input! So, the boasting is about feeling like I've gotten to being pretty good at setting up, adjusting, "dialing in" and such. Nice feeling :thumbup:

SpadCat
06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Awesome! I fly over my roof sometimes and almost hit the CB antenna once, so I try not to fly in that direction.

If you cannot find a chopstick, you can use a dowel.

SpadCat