PDA

View Full Version : Here is my mcpx brushless conversion with pics ,still video and flight video

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Lipper
07-30-2011, 02:01 AM
I did this mod a little while back With a walkera inrunner, 9 tooth pinion, and 7amp esc. The tail wasn't holding so I did the SR tail mod. I had a chat with a very experienced pilot and here's what i came away with.

Without adding ballast, I really don't think it's possible to get the CoG right with that big mother hanging off the end of the boom. The SR tail is too powerful even with the brushless mod. There's no reason to run the thing at 100% throttle.

I had great results with the following setup:
1. Stock tail motor on extended solid boom
2. Stock tail blades - still experimenting
3. 85% flat throttle curve
4. Pitch end points at 65 each way

Now your not going to get ballistic pitch pumps with set up but it's much mor flyable.

I'll put a 7 tooth pinion on it at some point and run 100% throttle. It's more efficient that way.

If your having trouble give it a try.

Ken

adroc3905
07-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes, using the 120SR motor does make it tail heavy, but unless you simply sit and hover all day, you wouldn’t notice a CG issue in flight....especially one so menial. If you have your lipo mounted as far front as possible along with your esc and BL converter it helps to greatly offset the heavier 120SR tail.

I have yet to hear of a successful BL conversion using a stock tail with success. IMO turning down the pitch travel to 65% is not considered success, its compromising so as to keep the stock tail. You basically are restricting the BL conversion potential b/c the stock tail is so weak.

755 robert
07-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, using the 120SR motor does make it tail heavy, but unless you simply sit and hover all day, you wouldn’t notice a CG issue in flight....especially one so menial. If you have your lipo mounted as far front as possible along with your esc and BL converter it helps to greatly offset the heavier 120SR tail.

I have yet to hear of a successful BL conversion using a stock tail with success. IMO turning down the pitch travel to 65% is not considered success, its compromising so as to keep the stock tail. You basically are restricting the BL conversion potential b/c the stock tail is so weak.
I am running the stock tail with the CO5M motor 8t pinion,I have pitch travel at + - 85%.I can blow the tail but only with the most extreme collective bungle.I am very happy with this setup.I can do repeated flips high speed funnels and full pitch punch outs and the tail holds fine..Just sayin..

Nytflyer
07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I had the same experience as adroc with my conversion. Had to turn the pitch travel down in the 60's or the stock tail would still blow out. I now use the sr120 tail motor and full blade with zero wag. It flies great I love it!

Stevendavis
07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
I have the SR 120 tail assembly, but have not installed it yet. I want to see how the stock with extended boom holds up. Just put about 5 flights on and the tail is holding good for now. I'm also only running about 65% pitch though. Mine flips fine so far. I even messed one up by not using high rate elevator and had to go full up while it was rocketting twords the shed, and no tail issue. I also just installed the MH swash to see how that will work with the brushless, Had to re-do my pitch curve, but its working great for now as well.

learjet3
07-31-2011, 10:16 AM
I just finished installing the helimax BL motor and speed control just like TNT's setup. I wired it to the small point on the back of the 3-1. Everything works great for the most part. Every once in a while the motor won't start but I think that was due to the gear mesh being too tight. It has loosened up now and seems fine. I haven't flown it yet other than test hovering in my driveway since it was dark out when I finished it but I can already tell that some Tx adjustments are in order. This thing has MAD power!

TNT (and anyone else that wnats to comment) - What are you running for throttle curve, pitch ATV, etc? What kind of headspeed/flighttime are you getting with those settings? Again, I have the Helimax Novus CP BL conversion w/ 9 tooth pinion and am using nano techs.

I would like to thanks everyone here that made this possible as well, you guys are great.

tntburnett
07-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I just finished installing the helimax BL motor and speed control just like TNT's setup. I wired it to the small point on the back of the 3-1. Everything works great for the most part. Every once in a while the motor won't start but I think that was due to the gear mesh being too tight. It has loosened up now and seems fine. I haven't flown it yet other than test hovering in my driveway since it was dark out when I finished it but I can already tell that some Tx adjustments are in order. This thing has MAD power!

TNT (and anyone else that wnats to comment) - What are you running for throttle curve, pitch ATV, etc? What kind of headspeed/flighttime are you getting with those settings? Again, I have the Helimax Novus CP BL conversion w/ 9 tooth pinion and am using nano techs.

I would like to thanks everyone here that made this possible as well, you guys are great.

You are welcome glad toc share The info :-).
I am running a flat 100 for my throttle and my ATV is for pitch is 85 % my time is 6 1/2 mins but I am using The sr120 battery which is 500mah.
Hope this help

Have a blessed week
Isaac

Sent from my DROIDX

learjet3
07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I am having problems getting the BL motor to start. When it does it flies great, but when it doesn't it don't fly at all. I powered thesteve off the ESC, blue-black, red-red, white-white, yellow to the small point on the back of the board. Powered the ESC right off the battery points on the board.

dbennettya
07-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Try moving the red wire of the Steve to the large red wire going to the main board positive power connection. That should help.

Good Luck, Don

I am having problems getting the BL motor to start. When it does it flies great, but when it doesn't it don't fly at all. I powered thesteve off the ESC, blue-black, red-red, white-white, yellow to the small point on the back of the board. Powered the ESC right off the battery points on the board.

adroc3905
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
I am running the stock tail with the CO5M motor 8t pinion,I have pitch travel at + - 85%.I can blow the tail but only with the most extreme collective bungle.I am very happy with this setup.I can do repeated flips high speed funnels and full pitch punch outs and the tail holds fine..Just sayin..

A stock tail setup should hold at lower BL HS rpms. In your case you run a lower HS than I do using a 8T pinion. I have the Helimax motor with a 9T pinion so the stock tail would not hold unless I reduced the pitch down to 65%. With the 120SR tail I can run at 95% pitch with no issues.

My point is that yes a stock tail would work on a BL setup but at what cost? If you have to tone the heli down to the point of greatly reducing pitch travel….what’s the point? You are not seeing the full BL potential b/c you are restricting it to compensate for the weak tail.

RedOctobyr
08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
There are roughly 4.2 million pages of BL info on here, it seems :) And I've done my best to read through them. Please forgive me for asking an awfully basic question, which I'm sure gets asked too often.

This is what I'm planning to buy:

- HP05S, listed as 13300kv, 1.5mm shaft
- thesteve converter. Just the plain, 1-motor, "generic" one (not the version customized for the mCP X, since it's out of stock)
- XP-7A ESC
- 9t pinion, 0.3mod, 1.5mm hole
- pinion puller (to remove the pinion that comes pre-installed on the HP05S motor)
- I have a bunch of Nanotech 300's already

Is that a decent combo? The pinion is what worries me the most. I know some people are trying to go to 8t, or even smaller. Those 8t pinions are quite a bit more expensive (and have to come from Europe, to boot). I figured I can start with the 9t, and if I have problems, try something else. Maybe I can pull the 8t pinion off the stock motor and open it up to 1.5mm. If I really had to, I could modify the motor's shaft down to 1mm, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I may break it :)

I'm not looking to rule the 3D flying world or anything. This is my first CP, so I'm still learning. I just want to give it more power & pep. But I guess I don't have any really specific requirements for headspeed or anything.

dbennettya
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
8T pinions are pretty much free if you remove one from the stock motor.

I've found with that combo that I really like the performance with a 7T pinion. Climb rates are awesome and after 5 minutes of tearing up the sky I put back 200mah into the 300mah Turnigy Nano batteries. A big plus is that this combo doesn't bog at all :)

I also run a 120SR tail motor and 120SR tail rotor trimmed to 2-1/4" which gives a locked tail and no blowouts :YeaBaby:

Good Luck, Don

There are roughly 4.2 million pages of BL info on here, it seems :) And I've done my best to read through them. Please forgive me for asking an awfully basic question, which I'm sure gets asked too often.

- thesteve converter. Just the plain, 1-motor, "generic" one (not the version customized for the mCP X, since it's out of stock)
- XP-7A ESC
- pinion puller (to remove the pinion that comes pre-installed on the HP05S motor)

Is that a decent combo? The pinion is what worries me the most. I know some people are trying to go to 8t, or even smaller. Those 8t pinions are quite a bit more expensive (and have to come from Europe, to boot). I figured I can start with the 9t, and if I have problems, try something else. Maybe I can pull the 8t pinion off the stock motor and open it up to 1.5mm. If I really had to, I could modify the motor's shaft down to 1mm, but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I may break it :)

I'm not looking to rule the 3D flying world or anything. This is my first CP, so I'm still learning. I just want to give it more power & pep. But I guess I don't have any really specific requirements for headspeed or anything.

adroc3905
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM

- XP-7A ESC

Sounds like a great combo. I currently run:

-HP05s motor
-9T pinion
-10A Helimax motor (your 7A will be fine)
-Steve converter - main motor, prior to the mCPx version was introduced
-Hyperion 240's (you have a better choice using the 300mah - more flight time)
-And of course the GWS pinion puller that works from 1mm/1.5mm/2mm shafts.

Never thought my tiny pinion puller would get used so much but since I have owned the mCPx it has become invaluable during the BL mod. Great tool for under $20 on ebay.

The HP05s motor is a powerhouse but you can also tone it down using the TX, assuming you are not using a RTF TX and something sufficient like a DX6i, DX7, DX8, etc.

I think you will be happy with 9T. It’s not insane or uncontrollable at all. It’s a micro-heli with spunk and agility. Use this thread for reference on TX settings for the HP05s motor.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=320503

duaner27
08-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Not trying to hyjack guys but i wenf back stock and am selling my brushless setup. 30 bucks. Novus cp esc and motor , 9 tooth pinion and the new steve from wow hobbies that doesnt require a resistor. Pm me if interested thanks.

RedOctobyr
08-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Thank you for the feedback, guys. Ordered the motor, ESC, converter, and Walkera pinion puller. It was tempting to try and make my own pinion puller somehow. I like jim_stoll's "Ghetto Pinion Puller", http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=3097111&postcount=226

But it seemed like a real one is probably less likely to damage something.

Just need to order the pinion. Will probably go with the 9T for now. I can get that one inexpensively, and I don't have to modify the motor right out of the gate. May also order a Hyperion 320, to see how it compares to the Nanotechs. The idea of possibly having to turn *down* the throttle to keep it manageable is a funny thought :) Too bad you can't use a governor on these somehow.

dbennettya, I assume you modified your motor shaft down to 1mm, for the 7T? It sounds like it's working well for you. I'm inclined to leave the motor alone for now, though the 7T sounds nice. I could always make the shaft smaller, I guess, but it's tough to put it back to 1.5mm :)

liftbag's double tail mod sounds interesting, but I'd like to stay to a single stock motor if possible. But if that's just not going to work well, I'll add a 2nd tail motor to the order now, and save on shipping (mCX2 motor is $10, S/H is $5 :) ).

brianp6621
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Not trying to hyjack guys but i wenf back stock and am selling my brushless setup. 30 bucks. Novus cp esc and motor , 9 tooth pinion and the new steve from wow hobbies that doesnt require a resistor. Pm me if interested thanks.

Just curious why you're going back to stock.

duaner27
08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Too much speed for me im still learning and like it better in stock form.....for now anyway.

brianp6621
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Too much speed for me im still learning and like it better in stock form.....for now anyway.

What radio are you using?

duaner27
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Dx6i i like the spool up of the stock set up. With the brushless set up it was like an on off switch and i have to take off immediatley.

dbennettya
08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, I did reduce the shaft down to 1mm with a file slowly while running the motor. Just don't go too fast or press too hard and go slow.

It looks like there are now 7T and up with 1.5mm holes from:

http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/product_info.php/info/p369_Gearwheel-Pinion-M0-3---7teeth.html

They have 7T and up with 1.5mm hole.

I do have some 1.5mm shaft that I bought for replacing motor shafts and will be replacing a couple of shafts in HP08 motors. So it probably can be reversed.

Good Luck, Don

Just need to order the pinion. Will probably go with the 9T for now. I can get that one inexpensively, and I don't have to modify the motor right out of the gate. May also order a Hyperion 320, to see how it compares to the Nanotechs. The idea of possibly having to turn *down* the throttle to keep it manageable is a funny thought :) Too bad you can't use a governor on these somehow.

dbennettya, I assume you modified your motor shaft down to 1mm, for the 7T? It sounds like it's working well for you. I'm inclined to leave the motor alone for now, though the 7T sounds nice. I could always make the shaft smaller, I guess, but it's tough to put it back to 1.5mm :)

Schoey
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
It looks like there are now 7T and up with 1.5mm holes from:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478613

They have 7T and up with 1.5mm hole.

Good Luck, Don

Wrong link?

dbennettya
08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah, sorry ..... fixed it.

Don

Wrong link?

Schoey
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Yeah, sorry ..... fixed it.

Don

No worries, it looked like a bit of guerrilla marketing there for a second :peace

questerng
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Does this fit the mod.. this is my best bet from where I am..

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={57A04529-9DD5-494D-9078-4F93F3D9330B}&pn=2

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={AF0C062C-5315-474B-BC81-2228AD9E6EA3}&pn=1

I'll still need the the converter though.. still looking..

cheers
Q

dbennettya
08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes, those will work but there are better choices out there that are lighter like HP05S and XP-7A ESC.

Good Luck, Don

Hi,

Does this fit the mod.. this is my best bet from where I am..

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={57A04529-9DD5-494D-9078-4F93F3D9330B}&pn=2

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={AF0C062C-5315-474B-BC81-2228AD9E6EA3}&pn=1

I'll still need the the converter though.. still looking..

cheers
Q