PDA

View Full Version : 6HV electronics and head speed advice

whittb
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I am setting up my electronics and need some advice on the Hobby wing ESC. Is it programed correctly out of the box or should I buy the programing card.
My setup:
V-Bar 5.1 pro running governor mode
Hobby wing Esc with fixed endpoints no governor mode and standard soft start.
22.5 degree motor timing (default setting)
Hyperion phase sensor.
Western Robotics BEC

I see some of you have reduced your timing to 18.5, how much difference does it make in the motors operating temperatures.

My head speed will be:
Normal 1800
Stunt 1 1900
Stunt 2 2050
I will adjust these a necessary to achieve stable flight with a minimum head speed for sport flying only. The manual shows throttle setting for general flight but does not cover actual head speed accept to tell you not to exceed 2100 rpm

Does the Hobby Wing Esc need to be run at a high output to keep them cool like the Castles operate.If so do you recommend a pinion change to achieve the head speeds I wish to fly at.

The manual shows 10 degrees of collective pitch for 3d, is this what you recommend? If not then what are you flying. Seams a little low to me but I realize this is a light heli.
thanks

Rob43
06-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Which helicopter? 7HV?

Castel
06-24-2011, 10:57 AM
It's a HW ESC so I guess it's a 6HV, 7HV comes with Punch RC ESC (rebranded I know).

From what I have read many use 12* for collective, that's what I have. I don't see anybody with less. Also 18.75 timing is said to give you pretty much the same power but leaves the motor cooler and a little more runtime.

As for the ESC wanted to be at high output for lower temps as CC, I would like to know that too :).

whittb
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
12 degrees of collective it what I am used to, so thatís what I will start with. Thanks

Yes, this is a 6HV, I am used to posting in the more specific T-rex forums. My bad

Do you own the programing card? Just wondering if itís worth the cost since am not programing anything but the motor phasing.

Castel
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I have the HW card. I bought from Hobbypartz.com and it was well worth it for $23. You can program all functions from your transmitter following beeps and it's fine, but the HW ESC doesn't have a very great soft start. With the card you can update its firmware to the latest one (from Turnigy, same ESC) and the very soft start is now perfect. I would get it if you would like that, look for a thread started by Mon_t.

skunkworx
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I am setting up my electronics and need some advice on the Hobby wing ESC. Is it programed correctly out of the box or should I buy the programing card.
My setup:
V-Bar 5.1 pro running governor mode
Hobby wing Esc with fixed endpoints no governor mode and standard soft start.
22.5 degree motor timing (default setting)
Hyperion phase sensor.
Western Robotics BEC

I see some of you have reduced your timing to 18.5, how much difference does it make in the motors operating temperatures.

My head speed will be:
Normal 1800
Stunt 1 1900
Stunt 2 2050
I will adjust these a necessary to achieve stable flight with a minimum head speed for sport flying only. The manual shows throttle setting for general flight but does not cover actual head speed accept to tell you not to exceed 2100 rpm

Does the Hobby Wing Esc need to be run at a high output to keep them cool like the Castles operate.If so do you recommend a pinion change to achieve the head speeds I wish to fly at.

The manual shows 10 degrees of collective pitch for 3d, is this what you recommend? If not then what are you flying. Seams a little low to me but I realize this is a light heli.
thanksI reduced both my 500 and 6HV to 18.5* and it works great. If you live in a hot climate, the motor will come down a little cooler while still making good power. If it's not too hot outside and you can get away with doing 22.5*, I say go for it. With a 6HV, you really won't notice it much because you're on a governor. If you have weaker batteries, go with 18.5*.

No, the HW's don't need to be run at high speeds to keep cool, but that is more to do with the circuitry involved with ESC's to begin with. The closer to 100% you run them, the more efficient/the lower the heat regardless of the manufacturer. HW's use bigger, higher quality MOSFETs, so they don't get overworked as badly.

I would get the programming card because you can download the Turnigy software to make it run a little better. It will help with the soft-start and the governor setup. Not sure the exact one though. I'd ask around about it.

Your projected headspeeds are perfect for the stock 10t pinion. You'll have to tach it to see what your headspeed will come out to exactly because the calculations are almost always wrong. You can do upwards of 2500 headspeed on this machine simply because it's built like a tank, but it's better not to push the limits!

For sport flying, 10 degrees may be all you need, but that would drive me nuts. I run 13 degrees on all my machines and most people agree to at least 12 degrees, so you can set it up similarly to your old machines to keep the consistent feel. Within reason, they will all feel about the same, but he 6HV will be more nimble and stable at the same time (don't ask me how they pull both off at once, but they do!). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how smooth it feels. Pretty much liquid and glassy but brutally powerful if you want it to be. :thumbup:

Ah Clem
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I could not agree more with what Tim (Skunkworx) stated above!

whittb
06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I will purchase the program card to update the soft star. I do not want my heli bouncing all over the ground because my blades have not centered properly before the rpms got to high.

I always use 12 degrees of collective pitch, and o will stick with it for the 6HV. The manual states 10 degrees, so thatís what made me ask the question.

I fly in 90 to 105 degree weather, so I need to change my timing to 18.5 to keep the temps lower.

Should be able to get her flying for the July 4th weekendÖ.