PDA

View Full Version : Fuel proof paint in clear?

Mike SVOR
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know if there is a clear fuel proof paint for nitro?

Kurdy
03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
All car paint are fuel proof including the clear. Real car paint, not Tamyia car paint :wink: .

Mike SVOR
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
What about the car paint found at walmart and places? I think they're duplicolor car paint.
I read the can, but couldn't find where it stated if it was epoxy enamel or not.

WJackson
03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Can clears will last for a little while. You need the two part automotive stuff to last. Easiest way is to get the colors done and prep for clear and take it to an auto body shop.

squintsf16
03-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Rustoleum is fuel proof. :D

Mike SVOR
03-23-2007, 11:14 PM

lol, no it's not. Axe me howe I no

Mike SVOR
03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Can clears will last for a little while. You need the two part automotive stuff to last. Easiest way is to get the colors done and prep for clear and take it to an auto body shop.

I have a compressor and an hvlp gun, but it's too big to paint this raptor 50.
I've never bought auto paint in quantities smaller than a quart. But it looks like I'll need an air brush gun size and less than a quart of paint to do my raptor's body.

I was just wondering if the auto paint found at walmart/discount auto was epoxy enamel or whatever. (fuel proof)

Rodan
03-23-2007, 11:32 PM
You should be able to get paint from an auto paint supply in pints. Another option is House of Kolor paints, which IIRC can be obtained in smaller amounts. Try eBay...

You can use a touch up gun for the raptor canopy's base color, then airbrush the detail stuff...

WJackson
03-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I used duplicolor and it held up for awhile , w/ 30% it got gummy on the exhaust side , so i would have to say no . A harbor freight touch up gun and a quart of clear and hardener and your set. Suppose mentioning NEVER breathing that clear goes without saying, that stuff WILL kill you.

Rodan
03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Suppose mentioning NEVER breathing that clear goes without saying, that stuff WILL kill you.

That's a very good point to mention, as most haven't dealt with paints before. Most auto quality clears are quite nasty... definitely set up good ventilation, and wear a respirator...

sleddog7
03-24-2007, 12:38 PM

Not true! ONLY their epoxy paints are. You can ask me how I know this too.
Top Flite has flat and clear topcoats in spray cans that are good to 15% nitro but Do end up breaking down after time.

ferincr
03-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Can you just use spray paint and then over coat with the two part automotive clear on top? Or the 2 part clear would make the "cheap" underneath color paint to run?

JC PAINT WORKZ
06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I used duplicolor and it held up for awhile , w/ 30% it got gummy on the exhaust side , so i would have to say no . A harbor freight touch up gun and a quart of clear and hardener and your set. Suppose mentioning NEVER breathing that clear goes without saying, that stuff WILL kill you.

I spray full cars w/out a respirator.. oh well.. i wouldnt image in a open area the canopy would harm you lol

X-Gear
07-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I have a compressor and an hvlp gun, but it's too big to paint this raptor 50.

why would you think that its too big? Narrow the fan and don't pull the trigger as far, I only use my big Sata gun for shooting bases and clears no matter what size of piece i am painting. Much better and consistent coverage.

X-Gear
07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
by the way, a 50 size canopy takes a little more than an ounce per coat(includes over spray loss), I usually mix up 4 ounces, this will give you a tack coat and 2 wet coats. (I have clear left, but its better than running out). It takes much less base color than clear.

Gregg
07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I have been told that Dupli Color Engine Enamel Clear is fuel proof. I've cleared a 700 canopy with it and so far it's doing fine with 20% fuel. Will have to let you know later how it holds up in the long run.