PDA

View Full Version : do the "fixes" befoer first flight?

450promaui
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
was wondering if i should do the fixes to the heli that other ppl had to do befor flawless flight. stuff like the main gear vertical play and the one way bearing spinning freely . my question, is this something i should do because it will happen or is it only happening to a "pro" pilot that is working the bird to the limits. any input to the thread would be nice.

Mahalo,
Ryan

yamax87
06-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi,

ALWAYS perform full pre-flight checks before the first flight of the day. As this is apparently your 700's first flight, I cannot overemphasize this.

I have had many crashes because I have rushed through my pre-flight checks. Vertical play in the main gear could strip it during flight. On something as large as a 700, these checks are VERY important as a machine of this size is more than capable of killing someone.

Even if you are only hovering about, the loads subjected to a 700 size machine can exceed half a tonne at the rotor head (by my estimations). If, for example, a feathering shaft screw came loose, the blades would be ejected with the force of a rifle bullet. Ouch.

Yes, check the main gear and perform a FULL mechanical/electrical/radio check before the first flight.

gergob@gmail.com
06-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Watch out for this forum, it can be very depressing. I have 250 flights on a stock setup (minus the skookum 720 gyro) and no problems. Having said that there are people who keep having mechanical failure after mechanical failure + esc fires. Take your time to make sure the heli is mechanically sound, you will learn to trust it later.

K2Freak
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
+1 to the METICULOUS preflight check!!

You probably already read this:

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=295533

If not, it is well worth it. Your question has been asked, and I believe that the consensus is that there are several categories of fixes:

0. Stuff that can go wrong through no fault of your own, or that is vulnerable to breakage secondary to low mfg quality. Needs to be addressed up front. (vertical play on the main gear, one way bearing slippage, tail rotor hub bolts.)

1. Stuff that performs poorly stock or has short MTTF. (ex. pre-CNC main gear probably needs to go, KDE upgrade or Quick UK tail to reduce tail pitch slop)

2. Things that just make nice upgrades or that are interdependent upon other upgrades. For example: 1. You need the adjustable motor mount if you are going to change pinion size - which you likely will if you change motors. 2. Thrusted main bearings are really nice if you fly hard, and will improve the life of other components as well.

3. Performance based stuff that advanced fliers may bump into. There may not be total agreement on these items and more than one approach will definitely work. Depends upon flying style (tail rotor blade size, whether you need the third bearing block, frame stiffeners, slanted main gear)

4. Stuff that some people see as really important (but that have been safely ignored by others), or are simply bling. Ex. RC Booya or Quick UK canopy mounts, KDE Rx mount, colored trim screw bezels)

Reality check is that MANY 700Es have flown bone stock for MANY flights. IMHO (and a lot of others) the tail rotor hub bolts is about the only really critical out of the box upgrade (depending upon when you bought your kit, as of V2, right?).

From where I sit there is no reason to spend an extra 1000 bucks on upgrades right up front. There will be enough maintenance, fixes, and changes as you get used to the machine to keep your inner mechanic satisfied, and the majority of the mods have been developed to fix performance rather then safety related problems.

Note: No offense anybody. I just tried to qualify some of the thinking behind the mods that we make. It can be very intimidating for new owners to try to stay ahead of all the discussions about 700 mods. Let me know if I goofed any of this up. 8^)

f22warzone
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
agreed alot of thos mods were out when v1 was here and we were all apha testers for this heli

v2 appears to have fixed a whole lot of the problems ( go figure) so with the way the kit is right now its best to fly and if you crash then upgrade/ mod

450promaui
06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
yes i have had this helli for allmost a year and have not flown it. took a while to get everything correct and as perfect as can be. i am not rushing to fly this big bird. i would like to have a great first flight and this is the reason for the questions above. i know i should have got a 600 size heli but i could not resist the 700e.

i will be more than careful the first few flights and i do know that it could kill me if i am not careful. i have been flying the 700e fbl in the sim from the first day it came out. last thing on the list for this bird is some batts. from what i know it was the 1st generation 700e's that had lots of problems and some have been fixed with the version 2 that came out.

from what i have seen on here is that there is a version 3 thats out now. im i correct with this last statement? thanks for all the input you guys have given!

Mahalo,
Ryan

f22warzone
06-30-2011, 04:27 PM
from what i have seen on here is that there is a version 3 thats out now. im i correct with this last statement? thanks for all the input you guys have given!

Mahalo,
Ryan

un officially its the 4th time they have changed it but its officially called V2
so if you pick up a V1 kit it could be any of the previous 3 .

450promaui
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
well my kit came with a white and bvlue canopy with the 700mx motor. would this help to find out what version i have?

K2Freak
06-30-2011, 04:35 PM
The biggest thing is the tail bolts. You can't tell on those, but for 20 bucks you can have the KDE V2.

Look at your main gear. Are the holes rounded with some extra webbing (CNC) or is it just an inner radius (old disposable model)?

Twrecks600
06-30-2011, 04:45 PM
yes i have had this helli for allmost a year and have not flown it. took a while to get everything correct and as perfect as can be. i am not rushing to fly this big bird. i would like to have a great first flight and this is the reason for the questions above. i know i should have got a 600 size heli but i could not resist the 700e.

i will be more than careful the first few flights and i do know that it could kill me if i am not careful. i have been flying the 700e fbl in the sim from the first day it came out. last thing on the list for this bird is some batts. from what i know it was the 1st generation 700e's that had lots of problems and some have been fixed with the version 2 that came out.

Mahalo,
Ryan

A year?!! Dang!! I had mine less than a week before she was maidened. I have 230 + flights on her and only one crash at flight 170 (my own fault). Other than that, I LOVE the machine!!

450promaui
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
it is the new cnc gear. is this all you need to know to find out what version you have?

K2Freak
06-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Version is a tough concept as has been pointed out. They seemed to randomly add updates as they came out (some of the time - after they dsold them separately for a while), so to me it seemed like we were at the mercy of both Align and the dealer through which you get the kit. I know that some of the numbers changed with the various combos, but I never had a clear sense of what was what. Could just be me though...

Having the new gear is nice. You have to REALLY thrash to strip that one...