PDA

View Full Version : 3D with raptor 30

Squid90
07-02-2011, 03:15 PM
How well does the raptor 30 do with 3D moves? would fast high torque servos make it perform like a 50 size 3D heli?

carlos
07-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Raptor 30 3D's slowly.
No only a 50 size machine will fly like a 50 size machine.

guitarherowanab
07-03-2011, 10:40 AM
considering that the raptor 50 basically only uses different gearing an a little longer tailboom, the raptor 30 is pretty underpowered! you can do slow flips and rolls with it, but the servos arent the limiting factor. of course, there is a video of alan szabo and he is doing some slow graceful 3d with the raptor 30:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKA3g01IZzk&playnext=1&list=PL1CAA7E7C31CB2774

RaymondJ
07-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Those guys could tic toc a washing machine though lol

guitarherowanab
07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
for sure....lol:thumbup:

rvjunior
07-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Those guys could tic toc a washing machine though lol

LOL! They will do decent 3d but as others have said they tend to be kinda slow and I kissed the dirt plenty of times because of this lol

guitarherowanab
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
they tend to be kinda slow

i prefer to think of it as "graceful":thumbup:

HammerHead
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Wonder what motor, pipe, and %nitro he is using.
My stock TT39 doesnt sound anything like his.
Nore does it have that much power either.

guitarherowanab
07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
whatever engine it is, he probably has it tuned lean to get the max power

Raptor30_V1
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello,

When I started into 3D, I was exactly asking this question too..

I watched some vids with 30' size Raptors doing fancy stuff and thought, it would be ok to use my R30-V1 for 3D training. As I don't like to run my engines at the very edge (life-time of engine can become pretty short), I bought myself a so called better muffler for my OS-37 engine.

As this didn't made a difference neither, I simply started to take a look into:

- power-to-weight ratio
- weight-to-disc-square-ratio

.. and that's what makes the difference! A Raptor30 willnever be a great 3D-monster (for most of us) and that's maybe one of the reason, why the 50' size birds established themselves as a great bird size.

So, what can a Raptor30 be used for? Anything, as leaning to hoover inverted, to fly inverted forward, backwards or backwards inverted will do. But anything needing some power, as piro-flips, tic-tocs and piro-loopings etc. won't do.

Sure, the better your pitch-collective/ cyclic skills, the more likely you will flyanything as laundry or a pancake-pan.

So, a 50 size is the best compromise (performance/ cost to learn 3D), but as long as you're into inverted hoover and inverted flight/ backwards flight, a Raptor30 will do. The only thing to be modified is the cyclic response, as the standard R30 paddles are pretty heavy and rigid. Installing some 15 to 20 gramm paddles and at least 6 degrees of cyclic travel will do.

The best news is, it's pretty simple to convert a Raptor30 into a R50 :cheers

Best Regards,
Oliver

P.S: From an evolution point of view, there was never a larger step forward the the Raptor30 :thumbup:

jamiejap77
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
i disagree with alot of you guys about the cyclic speed. I put on Savox 1225 (i think that number is right) servos, and runnin lipo 7.4v pack and the cyclic is sickning fast!! But yea, the collective leaves alot to be desired, actually its fast as heck too, but it bogs the motor down real good!

The 30 will do everything a bigger heli can, just NO hard pumpin collective moves, Funnels, Hurricanes, Flips & Rolls even flipping & rolling loops, are all ok JUST BE GENTLE ON THE Collective!!!

And yea, the best part is that this heli can grow with you!